RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-174 :: Monday, 24 September 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#174
Monday, 24 September 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Wall Street Journal; James Mason, Struggling U.S. Farmers Worry About a Resurgent Russia. Russian wheat exports are booming despite a crushing price slump, as the country’s farmers finally emerge from decades of neglect.
2. www.rt.com: LibDems crush ruling party rivals in Russian Far East & central regions’ governor elections. [rt.com/politics/439178-ldpr-candidates-win-governor-elections/]
3. Bear Market Brief: Communists, Lib. Dems to form coalitions.
4. Interfax: United Russia pledges interaction with new governors of Khabarovsk Territory, Vladimir region.
5. TASS: Opposition blogger Navalny re-detained immediately after brief release.
6. www.rt.com: Radical anti-Putin stars, once beloved by the West, now face prison in Europe. [rt.com/news/439024-russian-opposition-artists-europe/]
7. Paul Goble: Lobbyists Now More Powerful than People in Putin’s Russia, ‘Nezavisimaya Gazeta’ Warns.
8. The Economist: How can Russia fund Putin’s development targets?[country.eiu.com/article.aspx?articleid=997171083&Country=Russia&topic=Economy]
9. Russian International Affairs Council: Pavel Gudev, The Northern Sea Route: а National or an International Transportation Corridor?
10. Paul Goble: Russian Infrastructure to Support Northern Sea Route Won’t Be Ready for at Least Another Decade, Experts Say.
11. www.rt.com: Replacing Russian gas with American LNG would be ‘absolutely ridiculous’ – expert to RT.
12. TASS: WADA president supports RUSADA’s reinstatement in open letter.
13. Washington Post editorial: Russia’s drug-testing program let athletes brazenly cheat. Now it’s back – flawed as ever.
14. Sputnik: Doping Scandal: Far Too Much Cold War Politics in Blanket Ban of Russia – Prof.
15. South China Morning Post: Alexander Lukin, CHINA AND RUSSIA: NEW BFFS THANKS TO AN INSECURE US. Recent war games highlight Moscow and Beijing’s increasingly closer ties, which are based on a convergence of national interests, a similar view of the world order – and the need for an ally against a belligerent America [scmp.com/week-asia/geopolitics/article/2165255/china-and-russia-new-bffs-thanks-insecure-us]
16. Pravda.ru: Russian officials celebrate 60th anti-Russian sanction.
17. www.rt.com: Russia’s largest energy companies preparing to substitute petrodollar in settlements.
18. www.zerohedge.com: How Russian Sanctions Are Helping Putin Achieve His Most Desired Goal.
19. Interfax: Russia helped remove pro-Iranian forces from Golan Heights – Russian Defense Ministry.
20. TASS: Russia may respond to Il-20 tragedy by closing Syrian air space, says expert.
21. Sputnik: Russian MoD Has Compelling Evidence to Back Up Account of Il-20’s Last Moments. [sputniknews.com/world/201809231068267971-israel-russia-il20-idf/]
22. The Independent (UK): Patrick Cockburn, The ceasefire agreed by Russia and Turkey proves how far Putin has come out on top in Syria. It is difficult to remember now, when Russia is being portrayed in the west as an aggressive predatory power threatening everybody, the extent to which it was marginalised seven years ago when Nato was carrying out regime change in Libya. [independent.co.uk/voices/syrian-ceasefire-turkey-russia-erdogan-putin-trump-a8548871.html]
23. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Russia set to use Iranian airbase for Syrian operations.
24. www.rt.com: ‘Lines not to be crossed’: Israel must learn from Il-20 incident & cherish Russia ties, experts say.
25. Wall Street Journal: Russia to Supply Syria With Air-Defense System, Raising Tensions With Israel. The delivery of the S-300 raises the risks of escalation with Israel in a complex ground-and-air conflict involving multiple countries.
26. www.paulcraigroberts.org: Paul Craig Roberts, Emotion Is Supplanting Evidence As The Basis For Truth. [paulcraigroberts.org/2018/09/22/emotion-is-supplanting-evidence-as-the-basis-for-truth/]
27. TASS: Ukrainian Church autocephaly important for struggle with Russia – minister.
28. Awful Avalanche: Genocidal Schimasmatics and Nazi-Jews: You Can’t Make This Stuff Up! – Part I. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/09/24/genocidal-schimasmatics-and-nazi-jews-you-cant-make-this-stuff-up-part-i/]
29. Washington Post: Anne Applebaum, Putin’s war is transforming Ukraine. [re: Lviv]
30. The Times (UK): Ukrainian town places a ban on all things Russian. (re Lviv)
31. Intellinews.com: Who’s who in Ukraine’s 2019 elections.
32. Atlantic Council: Mykola Vorobiov, How Pro-Russian Forces Will Take Revenge on Ukraine.
33. ABC News (Australia): Russians in the UK feeling the cold after Novichok spy poisoning scandal.
34. The Independent (UK): Trump tried to tempt Putin with ‘lots of beautiful women’, says UK music promoter at centre of Russia probe.
35. The New Yorker: Jane Mayer, How Russia Helped Swing the Election for Trump. A meticulous analysis of online activity during the 2016 campaign makes a powerful case that targeted cyberattacks by hackers and trolls were decisive.
36. GORDON: Who is Dimitri Simes And Why Is He Trying To Sink Mayflower? Investigation by Yuri Felshtinsky.
37. www.zocalopublicsquare.org: ONLY YOU CAN DEFEAT VLADIMIR PUTIN. Russian Interference With America Is Profound and Systematic, So the Best Self-Defense Is We, the People.
38. Agonyok magazine: “We Have Used Up the European Treasure Trove.” Political scientist Sergei Karaganov speaks about the inevitability of Russia’s “pivot to the East” in an interview with Svetlana Sukhova.