RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-173 :: Saturday, 22 September 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#173
Saturday, 21 September 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Consortiumnews.com: Joe Lauria, The New York Times as Judge and Jury. Seeking to maintain its credibility, The New York Times dispenses with the criminal justice system and basic principles of journalism to weigh in again on Russia-gate. [consortiumnews.com/2018/09/21/the-new-york-times-as-judge-and-jury/]
2. Moon of Alabama: NYT Admits That Its “Mountain of Evidence” For Russian Collusion Is Smaller Than A Molehill. [moonofalabama.org/2018/09/nyt-admits-that-its-mountain-of-evidence-for-russian-collusion-is-smaller-than-a-molehill.html]
3. World Socialist Web Site: New York Times’ fraudulent “election plot” dossier escalates anti-Russia hysteria. [wsws.org/en/articles/2018/09/21/pers-s21.html]
4. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, Who Putin Is Not. Falsely demonizing Russia’s leader has made the new Cold War even more dangerous.
5. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Capital flight figures to make your eyes water.
6. Facebook: Andrew Kuchins, Sanctions.
7. Oilprice.com: More U.S. Sanctions On Russia Would Be Counter Productive.
8. Bear Market Brief: CAATSA sanctions on arms sales starting up.
9. www.rt.com: Russia can thrive without foreign loans in case of tougher sanctions – Finance Ministry.
10. Bloomberg: Russia’s Biggest Oil Producers Have Never Had It So Good.
11. Wall Street Journal: Russia Looks to Shore Up New Role as Oil Heavyweight. Moscow’s alliance with OPEC has helped the cartel re-establish its hold on global oil prices.
12. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, RUSH TO JUDGEMENT. (re attack on Libya)[irrussianality.wordpress.com/2018/09/20/rush-to-judgement/]
13. Wall Street Journal: David Satter, When Russian Democracy Died. Boris Yeltsin abolished the Parliament 25 years ago. That helped pave the way for Putin’s dictatorship.
14. Creators.com: Pat Buchanan, Has Russia Given Up on the West?
15. www.rt.com: ‘Any dialogue is better than none at all’ – top Russian senator on relations with US.
16. The Independent (UK): Mary Dejevsky, Don’t be blinded by Syria – Putin’s recent foreign policy moves show he’s more interested in peace than war. Russian foreign policy craves respect, and seeks to demonstrate that it can hold its own alongside the biggest and the best – including the military sphere. [independent.co.uk/voices/russians-vladimir-putin-foreign-policy-syria-china-plane-crash-idlib-buffer-zone-turkey-israel-a8545396.html]
17. Valdai Discussion Club: Russian Mamedov, THE FATE OF IDLIB. IS IT IMPORTANT FOR RUSSIA? [valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/fate-province-idlib/]
18. www.rt.com: Russia turned tide of war when ISIS was about to ‘roll over Damascus’ – top Israeli commander.
19. Carnegie Moscow Center: Konstantin Gaaze, Why Russia’s Crimean Consensus Is Over (And What Comes Next).
20. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, In struggle over Ukrainian Orthodox communion, a political hornet’s nest. In an international conflict, one nation often will want to nullify influence another has within its borders. But what if doing so means upsetting fundamental tenets like separation of church and state?
21. Awful Avalanche: Ukrainian Health Crisis – Is Music The Cure? – Part I. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/09/21/ukrainian-health-crisis-is-music-the-cure-part-i/]
22. Awful Avalanche: Ukrainian Health Crisis – Is Music The Cure? – Part II. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/09/22/ukrainian-health-crisis-is-music-the-cure-part-ii/]
23. The National Interest: Thomas Dolzall, Belarus Is Trying to Weave a New National Identity. It is a large and uncertain undertaking.
24. Russia Matters: Nuclear Near Miss: Remembering the ‘Man Who Saved the World’
25. https://williamblum.org: William Bloom, Russian interference in US election – The new Iraqi Weapons of Mass Destruction. [williamblum.org/aer/read/160]
26. The Hill: John Solomon, FBI memos detail ‘partisan axes,’ secret conflicts behind the Russia election meddling assessment.