RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-162 :: Thursday, 6 September 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#162
Thursday, 6 September 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. The Daily Beast: Putin’s ‘Friend’ Had Early Access to Trump’s Infamous Pro-Russia Speech. Photos obtained by The Daily Beast show that think tank chief Dimitri Simes-whom Putin called a ‘friend and colleague’-was closer than previously known to the speech’s drafting.
2. Moscow Times: ‘Stop Pretending to Be Poor!’: How Russian Politicians Are Attracting Voters to the Polls.
3. Intellinews.com: Russia’s EconMin worsens GDP outlook again to 1.8% for 2018 on bad external conditions.
4. Russia Beyond: What’s the source of Russian tech entrepreneurship?
5. Bloomberg: The Man Who Became Russia’s Stockbroker. Oleg Mikhasenko’s BCS Financial handles about one of every four trades in his home market. Sanctions squeezing rivals mean that number is only growing.
6. www.rt.com: Power of Siberia: Russia’s mega gas pipeline to China almost complete. [rt.com/business/437753-power-of-siberia-china/]
7. Forbes.com: Dave Keating, Russia’s Controversial Nord Stream 2 Pipeline May Now Be Unstoppable.
8. The National Interest: Lyle Goldstein, What Russia’s Vostok-18 Exercise with China Means. Moscow knows what it is doing and Washington should take note.
9. Asia Times: Sino-Russia military relations at ‘an all-time high.’ Vostok 2018 ‘war games’ will likely be followed by Joint Sea-2018 naval exercises in the Yellow Sea.
10. Vedomosti: Pundit says Russia, China move towards military alliance.
11. Military Watch: Know Your Enemy; How Operating in Close Proximity in Syria has Provided Both U.S. And Russian Forces With Valuable Intelligence on One Another’s Operations.
12. TASS: US and allies gear up to invade Venezuela, expert warns.
13. The New Yorker: Masha Gessen, The Undoing of Bill Clinton and Boris Yeltsin’s Friendship, and How It Changed Both of Their Countries.
14. TASS: Yulia Skripal plans to return to Russia after father completes treatment, says cousin.
15. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, NOVICHOK SUSPECTS. (with comments)
16. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, THE NEW ALLEGATIONS IN THE SKRIPAL CASE, AND THE STANDARD OF PROOF. [johnhelmer.net/the-new-allegations-in-the-skripal-case-and-the-standard-of-proof/#more-19679]
17. Meduza: Russian journalists dig up information about the secret agents who allegedly carried out the Salisbury nerve-agent attack.
18. www.rt.com: Salisbury plot thickens, questions without answers multiply.
19. Washington Post editorial: Russia’s murderous hit squads insult nations that uphold the rule of law.
20. https://www.craigmurray.org.uk: Craig Murray, Skripals – The Mystery Deepens.
21. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Russia responds to May’s ‘unacceptable’ Skripal statement.
22. TASS: Former FSB chief dismisses May’s ‘false’ charges against GRU over Skripal case.
23. Moon of Alabama: The Strange Timestamp In The New Novichok ‘Evidence’ – UPDATED.
24. Daily Shocker: Skirpal Attack: The Curious Case Of Alexander And Ruslan.[craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2018/09/skripals-the-mystery-deepens/]
25. Bloomberg Leonid Bershidsky, Putin’s Swashbuckling Spies Are Hurting Him. A string of bungled operations, including the Skripal poisoning, is attracting too much attention.
26. www.rt.com: George Galloway, Salisbury is far from a Novichok Slam-Dunk!
27. RFE/RL: U.S., EU Warn Ukraine Ruling Endangers Press Freedom, Corruption Fight.
28. Financial Times: Ukraine: On the front line of Europe’s forgotten war. After four years, and 10,000 deaths, the conflict with Russia in the east of the country has slipped off the west’s political agenda.
29. Politico.com: Molly McKew, Trump Is Russia’s Weapon – Not Its End State. The president is a useful disruption in a broader campaign by the Kremlin that we need to worry about.
30. Senate Banking Committee: Hearing “Outside Perspectives on Russian Sanctions: Current Effectiveness and Potential for Next Steps.” Testimony of Michael McFaul. (excerpt)
31. Russia in Global Affairs: Sergey Karaganov, How to Win a Cold War.