RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-154 :: Friday, 24 August 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#154
Friday, 24 August 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Russia Beyond: Is Russia European or Asian?
2. TASS: Moscow demands US drop charges against Maria Butina.
3. TASS: Alleged Russian agent Butina denied access to Orthodox priest.
4. www.rt.com: New US anti-Russia sanctions ban loans, arms exports and dual-use goods.
5. www.rt.com: Time has come for Russia to finally ditch US dollar – Foreign Ministry.
6. Bloomberg: All About the U.S. Sanctions Aimed at Putin’s Russia.
7. China Plus: What Russia is doing to counter the new round of American sanctions.[chinaplus.cri.cn/opinion/opedblog/23/20180823/174236.html]
8. Facebook: Eric Kraus, Russian surrender?
9. Sputnik: Sanctions are Wrong Tool if You Want to Change Policy of Another Country – Prof. (Nicolai Petro)
10. The Atlantic: Mark Galeotti, Punishing Putin Just Makes Him Stronger. Tougher sanctions will only make him double down on antagonizing the West.
11. Bloomberg: Putin’s Economic Armor Suffers Cracks in Sanctions Showdown.
12. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Trump’s new sanctions spook Russian bond market.
13. Oilprice.com: U.S. Sanctions Wreak Havoc On Russia’s Oil Industry.
14. TASS: Izvestia: Despite sanctions, Moscow stands for normalizing ties with US.
15. The Unz Review: Andrei Martyanov, Grand Strategy Revisited. [unz.com/article/grand-strategy-revisited/]
16. TASS: Russia’s PM approves roadmap on competition development.
17. Financial Times: Russia backs down on proposed tax on industrial groups. Controversial plan for new $7.5bn levy shelved after widespread criticism.
18. Awful Avalanche: Russian Mafia Elects New Godfather. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/08/24/russian-mafia-elects-new-godfather/]
19. Interfax: Air safety over Baltic Sea needs to be considered in Russia-NATO format – Russian Foreign Ministry.
20. Interfax: Thanks to Russia, Turkey, Iran, Europe, U.S. serious progress reached in Syrian crisis settlement – Putin.
21. Russian International Affairs Council: Russian-Chinese Dialogue: The 2018 Model.
22. Valdai Discussion Club: Russian Mamedov, THE INTER-AFGHAN TALKS: TRANSFORMING THE TALIBAN.
23. www.rt.com: NATO training Latvian military to quell ‘civilian unrest’ during largest drills in decades. [rt.com/news/436415-latvia-drills-quell-unrest/]
24. The Blog Mire: Rob Slane, The 10 Main Holes in the Official Narrative on the Salisbury Poisonings: #3 – The Capability. [theblogmire.com/the-10-main-holes-in-the-official-narrative-on-the-salisbury-poisonings-3-the-capability/]
25. TASS: UK intelligence may try to harass, or frame Russians visiting Stonehenge, embassy warns.
26. RFE/RL: Poroshenko Declares Ukraine ‘Has Cut All Ties With Russian Empire’
27. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Maidan shootings.
28. www.opendemocracy.net: Tetiana Kozak, Who is ordering attacks on activists in Ukraine?. In Ukraine, activists are being attacked, and law enforcement is standing idle. The pressure on civil society has become systematic.
29. Foreignpolicy.com: Alexander Gabuev, The Silence of the Bears. The Russian public was quiet about Manafort and Cohen, but in the halls of power, debate about Trump’s usefulness rages.
30. Washington Examiner: Ted Galen Carpenter, The myth of Trump’s ‘soft’ Russia policy.
31. Wall Street Journal: Kimberley Strassel, When Justice Is Partial. Mueller is determined to sniff out any wrongdoing he can find-on one side.
32. RFE/RL: Study Finds Russian Trolls Spread Discord In U.S. About Vaccine Safety.
33. BBC: Russia trolls ‘spreading vaccination misinformation’ to create discord.
34. New York Times: Russian Trolls Used Vaccine Debate to Sow Discord, Study Finds.
35. The Independent (UK): How Russian bots used Mollie Tibbetts’ death to distract from Michael Cohen and Paul Manafort. A network of Russian-linked Twitter accounts are sharing thousands of divisive tweets about Mollie Tibbetts’ death. [independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/mollie-tibbetts-death-russia-bots-alliance-securing-democracy-trump-cohen-manafort-a8505241.html]
36. Miami Herald: Russia’s got the gas and is ready to set fire to our system of democracy
37. Observer: Now More Than Ever, Manafort Looks Like a Kremlin Agent [observer.com/2018/08/paul-manafort-has-ties-to-russia-and-looks-like-a-kremlin-agent/]
38. Slate.com: We Already Know Trump Is Betraying His Country. Investigation or no, the evidence has always been right in front of us. Here it is. [slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/08/trump-chose-putin-over-america-right-in-front-of-us.html]