RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-153 :: Thursday, 23 August 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#153
Thursday, 23 August 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. The Daily Express (UK): Love child of two prehistoric species of humans unearthed in a Russian cave.
2. Russia Matters: Andrew Kuchins, Russian Power Under Putin: Up and Down and Flatline.
3. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, What the Brennan Affair Really Reveals. Valorizing an ex-CIA director and bashing Trump obscures what is truly ominous.
4. The Irish Times: Putin urges US to reconsider as new sanctions set to kick in. Russian president says sanctions on range of technologies ‘pointless and counterproductive’
5. Intellinews.com: Russia’s financial authorities are putting the economy on an “economic war” footing as sanctions bite.
6. www.rt.com: Russia will respond with counter measures against US sanctions – official.
7. Intellinews.com: Russia’s National Wealth Fund can withstand one more crisis vows Kudrin.
8. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, The U.S. Can’t Bring Russia ‘to Its Knees.’ At least not without setting off a global energy and financial crisis.
9. Foreign Affairs: Nigel Gould-Davies, Sanctions on Russia Are Working. Why It’s Important to Keep Up the Pressure (excerpt)
10. Washington Times: Edward Lozansky, ‘Sanctions bill from hell.’ Anti-Russia legislation and Capitol Hill.
11. Moscow Times: The State Duma Debated Pension Reform. Here’s What You Need to Know. Russian experts review the State Duma’s two-day discussion on the unpopular bill.
12. Bear Market Brief: Duma and pension reform.
14. www.rt.com: Goldman, JPMorgan object to Russian proposal to limit their ability to move money out of the country.
15. Forbes.com: Steve Hanke, A Gold Bloc For Iran, Russia, and Turkey…Oh My!
16. AP: World’s biggest shipping firm to test Russian Arctic route.
17. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Russia’s Gazprom Is Investing More In Oil & Gas Worldwide Than Rival Exxon.
18. Bloomberg: Europe Is Warming Up to Putin. With Donald Trump upending diplomatic ties around the world, the Russian leader is finding a friendlier reception from European leaders who’ve long shunned him.
19. Facebook: Fred Weir, Putin Dances in Austria.
20. Asia Times: David Goldman, Europe, Japan, China and Russia line up against US. Investment patterns are shifting in response to America’s new assertiveness
21. New York Times: Taliban Say They Will Attend Afghan Peace Talks in Russia.
22. YaleGlobal Online: Viacheslav Morozov, Russia’s Internal Otherness. A deep internal culture divide in Russia between traditionalists and European Russians encourages isolationism.
23. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Guest Post: Sovieticus Nincompoopus (Or the IYI, Russian-Style) [unz.com/akarlin/sovieticus-nincompoop/]
24. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, RUSSIA’S ALLIES AND SATELLITES.
25. The Times (UK): My uncle could be dead, claims Sergei Skripal’s niece.
26. Interfax-Ukraine: Ukraine marks 1,000 days without Russian gas.
27. UNIAN (Kyiv): Poroshenko shocked by number of Putin’s “advocates” in Ukraine politics.
28. Interfax: Poroshenko apologizes to Ukrainians for giving ‘excessive expectations’ in 2014.
29. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Russian troops in Donbas.
30. Russia Beyond: Playing out Russian history: The disintegration of the USSR from 1985-1991. [rbth.com/history/329009-disintegration-of-ussr-gorbachev-yeltsin]
31. Awful Avalanche: Yeltsin: Drunk Or Not Drunk? – Part IV. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/08/23/yeltsin-drunk-or-not-drunk-part-iv/]
32. Russia Beyond: The top 3 unknown proxy wars between the Soviet Union and U.S.
33. www.rt.com: Danielle Ryan, Proof that Manafort & Cohen are criminals adds no weight to Mueller’s Russia collusion probe.
34. Antiwar.com: Justin Raimondo, The New Cold War Flops. Poll shows anti-Russia campaign had little effect. [original.antiwar.com/justin/2018/08/22/the-new-cold-war-flops/]
35. Moon of Alabama: Facebook Kills “Inauthentic” Foreign News Accounts – U.S. Propaganda Stays Alive. [moonofalabama.org/2018/08/facebook-kills-inauthentic-foreign-news-accounts-us-propaganda-stays-alive.html#more]
36. Facebook: Denis Churilov, “Sock puppet” accounts.
37. www.rt.com: Robert Bridge, Elvis, UFOs & Big Foot are (probably) trying to hack the US political system, too. [rt.com/op-ed/436608-election-hacking-meddling-russia/]
38. New York Times: Attempted Hacking of Voter Database Was a False Alarm, Democratic Party Says.
39. The Guardian (UK): ‘We were astounded by the freedom’: my time as a host on Russia’s RT TV. Sam Delaney’s News Thing was an anarchic fixture on RT for two years. Then the novichok poisonings changed the mood. [theguardian.com/media/2018/aug/18/we-were-astounded-by-the-freedom-my-time-as-a-host-on-russias-rt-tv]