RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-152 :: Wednesday, 22 August 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#152
Wednesday, 22 August 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Pew Research Center: Russians Say Their Government Did Not Try to Influence U.S. Presidential Election. Most say Russia is playing an increasingly important role in world affairs.
2. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, Savchenko, Sentsov & Udaltsov: Blatant hypocrisy makes Russians deeply cynical about the West. [rt.com/op-ed/436581-ukraine-savchenko-babchenko-russia/]
3. Washington Post: Stewart Baker, The U.S. needs to think about the unthinkable on cybersecurity (excerpt)
4. Washington Post: Sunny Bunch, The CIA funded a culture war against communism. It should do so again.
5. US Department of State: “The Senior Advisor for Russian Malign Activities and Trends (or, SARMAT)”
6. Bear Market Brief: Top Story: Sanctions
7. US Department of State: U.S. Strategy Toward the Russian Federation. Remarks of A. Wess Mitchell, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs, Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
9. Valdai Discussion Club: Ivan Timofeev, DASKAA AND THE NEW ANTI-RUSSIA SANCTIONS: DOES THE US WANT SELF-ISOLATION?
10. Washington Post: Anton Troianovski, Russia keeps getting hit with sanctions. Do they make a difference?
11. Reuters: William Courtney, Commentary: The right way to sanction Putin’s Russia.
12. Moscow Times: Russia’s Mysterious Pension Reform. Why has the Kremlin unexpectedly decided to introduce such an unpopular and politically dangerous pension reform?
13. Paul Goble: Putin’s Poll Numbers a Resource He Can Use Rather than Hoard, ‘Nezavisimaya’ Says.
14. PONARS Eurasia: Kirill Rogov, Administrative Mobilization and the Dynamics of Electoral Manipulations on Putin’s Presidential Election. (excerpt)
15. Intellinews.com: Russian unemployment at lowest level since 1991 due to demographic dip in shock therapy years.
16. Interfax: Sustainable energy, Russian energy sector development through 2024 to top agenda of Energy Week – Novak.
17. Valdai Discussion Club: Artyom Lukin, WHY RUSSIA IS STILL PLAYING SECOND FIDDLE IN KOREAN GEOPOLITICS.
18. Financial Times: Russia launches a diplomatic offensive on rebuilding Syria. Putin wants to convince European nations to normalise relations with Assad.
19. AP: Russia: West Obstructing Aid to Syria, Return of Refugees.
20. Washington Post: Putin would be happy to see Iranian forces leave Syria, John Bolton says.
21. Bloomberg: Trump’s Helsinki Hopes Fade After Putin Rejects Microsoft Charges.
22. Interfax: U.S. may rearm some strategic delivery vehicles reequipped under New START with up to 2,000 nuclear warheads – Ryabkov.
23. www.rt.com: Washington froze Russian assets in US worth hundreds of millions of dollars – US Treasury.
24. www.rt.com: ‘No evidence’, but Russian Fancy Bears are doing it again (p.s. here’s our new product) – Microsoft.
26. www.rt.com: Cohen bombshell sparks fresh calls for Trump impeachment – but what happened to Russia collusion? [rt.com/usa/436565-trump-impeachment-cohen-manafort/]
27. UNIAN (Kyiv): Ukraine should create Mossad-type unit to kidnap Yanukovych from Russia – prosecutor.
28. Awful Avalanche: Yeltsin: Drunk Or Not Drunk? – Part II. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/08/21/yeltsin-drunk-or-not-drunk-part-ii/]
29. Awful Avalanche: Yeltsin: Drunk Or Not Drunk? – Part III. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/08/22/yeltsin-drunk-or-not-drunk-part-iii/]
30. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Russians Get a Revisionist View of Soviet Union’s End. A new narrative paints from a former vice president paints Yeltsin as a tool of the U.S. in thwarting 1991 coup by hardliners.
31. Russia Beyond: 10 most important Russian songs of all time. [rbth.com/arts/329006-most-important-russian-songs]
32. https://gilbertdoctorow.com: Gilbert Doctorow, Putin’s weekend diplomacy with Austria and Germany: reading the tea leaves. [gilbertdoctorow.com/2018/08/21/putins-weekend-diplomacy-with-austria-and-germany-reading-the-tea-leaves/]