RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-150 :: Wednesday, 15 August 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#150
Wednesday, 15 August 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. TASS: Volunteers often work more effectively than officials, says Putin.
2. www.rt.com: ‘Energy in him was in full swing’: Putin’s teacher opens up about her famous pupil. [rt.com/news/436009-energetic-putin-school-teacher/]
3. Reuters: Rouble slump hits Russians’ wallets, not their support for Putin.
4. Paul Goble: More than Half of Russians Say Neither Side in August 1991 Putsch was in the Right.
5. Sic Semper Tyrannis: David Habakkuk on Russia Delusion Syndrome (RDS). [turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/2018/08/pt-one-rather-material-element-in-delusions-about-russia-alike-in-my-country-as-in-yours-is-that-people-still-appear-to-h.html#more]
6. RFE/RL: Yes Or No: Is A Referendum In The Cards Over Russian Pension Reform?
7. Intellinews.com: Russia’s VK announces privacy changes to protect users from arrest.
8. Interfax: Mail.ru Group calls for amnestying people convicted of extremism over reposts, likes.
9. Interfax: Kremlin urges social media prosecutions to stay within ‘reason’
10. Maria Trofimova: European University at Saint Petersburg Reopens Its International Programs.
11. Financial Times: Ill-timed Kremlin intervention adds to Russian investor pain. Proposed new levies come at a time when companies’ shares are falling due to US sanctions.
12. Washington Post: Vladimir Kara-Murza, The Kremlin is taking no chances as Moscow moves ahead with its sham mayoral election.
13. TASS: Kommersant: Can former empires Russia, Turkey and Germany unite against the US?
14. TASS: Experts warn new US military budget aims to draw Russia, China and Iran into arms race.
15. TASS: US Department of State official denies suspension of Open Skies treaty.
16. www.rt.com: US ‘shoots itself in the foot’ suspending Open Skies Treaty with Russia – retired general.
17. Reuters: More U.S. Marines to train in Norway, closer to Russia.
18. TASS: Russian diplomat says US fails to settle international conflicts.
19. Paul Goble: Moscow has Made ‘Unforgivable Mistake’ of Setting West against Russia for the Long Term, Shevtsova Says.
20. Bloomberg: Kushner Foreign Policy Role Grew After Kissinger Lunch.
21. The National Interest: Paul Saunders, Why Bloomberg Got It Wrong. Today’s dominant “party lines” are often shaping reporting to a greater extent than the facts.
22. Moscow Times: The Russian Sanctions Bill Proposed by Congress, Explained.
23. The Hill: Businesses fear blowback from Russia sanctions bill.
24. Asia Times: Russia plays referee on the Golan Heights. The area has been a repeated flashpoint over the course of Syria’s civil war.
25. Wall Street Journal: Turkey Shifts Toward Russia as Sanctions Sour U.S. Relations.
26. Valdai Discussion Club: Evgeny Buzhinsky, BUYING RUSSIAN MISSILE SYSTEMS WOULD BE A POLITICAL BREAKTHROUGH FOR TURKEY.
27. www.rt.com: Russia proposes deal with Turkey to ditch US dollar for lira-ruble trade amid currency crisis.
29. Sputnik: Lee Stranahan, As Sanctions Loom, Salisbury Residents Question Skripal Poisoning Narrative.
30. The Blog Mire: Rob Slane, Are Any MPs Prepared to Ask the Prime Minister Why She Appears to Have Made a Deeply Misleading Statement on 26th March?[theblogmire.com/are-any-mps-prepared-to-ask-the-prime-minister-why-she-appears-to-have-made-a-deeply-misleading-statement-on-26th-march/]
31. www.rt.com: Danielle Ryan, EU ‘disinfo-busting’ outlet targets ‘Russophiles’ in McCarthyist campaign to push own narrative. [rt.com/op-ed/435950-russophiles-twitter-benalla/]
32. www.opendemocracy.net: Vasily Gatov, Research the revenge: what we’re getting wrong about Russia Today. Data-mining and analysis will not reveal what makes Russian propaganda tick.
33. The New Republic: Craig Under, When a Young Trump Went to Russia. In 1987, the real estate tycoon visited the country to explore a hotel deal. Is that when he became compromised by Russian security services?
34. Vox.com: The trailer for Matthew Weiner’s The Romanoffs is a star-filled study in royal delusions. The Amazon series is Weiner’s follow-up to Mad Men, and features many of the same faces.