RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-146 :: Thursday, 9 August 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#146
Thursday, 9 August 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Los Angeles Times: Sabra Ayres, A cat (but no ordinary cat) is kidnapped, and Moscow holds its collective breath.
2. Intellinews.com: Russian shares tank on US announcement of new Russia sanctions over UK poisoning.
3. TASS: Kommersant: Skripal saga sending new ripples across the pond.
4. TASS: New US sanctions against Russia to affect global trade – lawmaker.
5. www.rt.com: Sanctioning Russia for false link to UK poisonings ‘unacceptable & unlawful’ – Kremlin.
6. www.rt.com: Russia to retaliate if Washington bans Aeroflot flights to US.
7. The New Kremlin Stooge: Mark Chapman, When Your Story Implodes, Call Me – I’m an American Chemical Weapons Expert! [thenewkremlinstooge.wordpress.com/2018/07/19/when-your-story-implodes-call-me-im-an-american-weapons-expert/]
8. The Blog Mire: Rob Slane, The Salisbury Poisonings: 10 Questions for the Authorities to Answer About Their Handling of This Case. [theblogmire.com/the-salisbury-poisonings-10-questions-for-the-authorities-to-answer-about-their-handling-of-this-case/]
9. Wall Street Journal: U.S. Sanctions Put Russia on Edge. Russian assets are hit hard by U.S. announcement, with the ruble dropping as much as 5%.
10. Washington Post: New U.S. sanctions rattled Russia. They could also boost Putin’s support.
11. Meduza: Russian newspaper leaks draft text of U.S. Senate’s Defending American Security from Kremlin Aggression Act.
12. Bear Market Brief: Defending American Security Against Kremlin Aggression Act (DASKAA)
13. Bear Market Brief: DASKAA and Debt with Max Hess.
14. The Hill: Eugene Rumer, Here we go again with Russia sanctions that will do nothing.
15. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, 08/08/18. (re Georgia ten years on) [unz.com/akarlin/georgia-10-years-on/]
16. www.rt.com: Condi Rice told me Saakashvili was ‘off the leash’ – Russia’s ex-defence minister on S.Ossetia war.
17. Washington Post: Condoleezza Rice, Russia invaded Georgia 10 years ago. Don’t say America didn’t respond. To deter Putin in the future, we need to get the facts right about the past.
18. The Guardian (UK) editorial: War in South Ossetia: Georgia started it.
19. Academia.edu: Babak Bahador, and Ivan Katchanovski, Does Foreign Policy Bias Lead to Media Bias: Analysis from the 2008 Russia-Georgia War.
21. Carnegie Moscow Center: Denis Volkov, “No Trust”: What Russians Think About the Pension Reform Plan.
22. TASS: Vedomosti: Economists say Russian state-owned assets should be privatized despite sanctions.
23. Financial Times: Business behind bars: the judicial threat to Russian growth. One reason President Putin is presiding over a sluggish economy is the persistent harassment and arrest of entrepreneurs by the state.
24. Moscow Times/Vedomosti: Pavel Aptekar and Vladimir Ruvinsky, Russia’s Economy is Falling Woefully Behind . Government policy in recent years has created an economy increasingly out of step with global trends.
25. Moscow Times: Fewer Than 1 in 5 Russians Support Putin’s Foreign Policy, Poll Says.
26. The National Interest: Aykan Erdemir and John Lechner, How Russia Plans to Get Turkey on Its Side. Moscow’s efforts appear to be paying off, as a 2017 poll showed that over 70 percent of Turkish citizens were favorable toward a political, economic and security alliance with Russia.
27. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Kissinger Sees Sense. But It’s Far Too Late. (re Russia and China)
28. Financial Times: Jamil Anderlini, China and Russia’s dangerous liaison. The west ignores the alliance forming between Moscow and Beijing at its peril.
29. Asia Times: M.K.Bhadrakumar, Color Revolution in the Caucasus rattles Russian leaders. Armenia’s new Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan has targeted Moscow’s confidantes in a corruption crackdown and angered the Kremlin by making overtures to NATO.
30. Nation of Change: Chris Kantham, Why Putin hates us. Can we analyze the situation objectively and understand why the U.S.-Russia relations soured?
31. Counterpunch.org: Gary Leupp, Is Russia an Adversary?
32. National Public Radio (NPR): Is it Still Springtime For Putin And Republicans?