RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-130 :: Tuesday, 17 July 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#130
Tuesday, 17 July 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. MRC Newsbusters: Video Montage: Cable News Sees the Apocalypse in Trump/Putin Summit.
2. Twitter: John O. Brennan (President Obama’s CIA Director 2013-17): “It was nothing short of treasonous.”
3. Twitter: Richard Haass (President of the Council on Foreign Relations): “International order for 4 centuries….”
4. New York Times editorial: Why Won’t Donald Trump Speak for America? The president lays himself at Vladimir Putin’s feet.
5. New York Times: Michelle Goldberg, Trump Shows the World He’s Putin’s Lackey. Maybe the president is exactly as compromised as he looks.
6. Washington Post editorial: Trump just colluded with Russia. Openly.
7. Washington Post: Anne Applebaum, Trump has just composed the most elaborate thank-you note in history. Thank you, Vladimir Putin, for helping me win my campaign!
8. Russia Beyond: Opinion: Why is Russia so damn depressing? [Text with photos: rbth.com/arts/328777-russia-mentality-depressing-art-psychology]
9. New York Times: Joint News Conference by Trump and Putin: Full Video and Transcript.
10. Kremlin.ru: Interview to Fox News Channel.
11. Consortiumnews.com: Joe Lauria, US Media is Losing Its Mind Over Trump-Putin Press Conference . The media’s mania over Trump’s Helsinki performance and the so-called Russia-gate scandal reached new depths on Monday
12. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, Putin-Trump summit: Not Munich, Pearl Harbor or Yalta, just Helsinki.
13. Sic Semper Tyrannis: America’s Russia Derangement Syndrome by Publius Tacitus.[turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/2018/07/americas-russia-derangement-syndrome-by-publius-tacitus.html]
14. TASS: Putin hopes for strategic stability agreements with US, including on INF treaty.
15. TASS: Media: Putin, Trump take a step toward reviving Russian-US relations.
16. TASS: Putin, Trump make most progress in talks on Syria, says Russian expert.
17. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Kortunov, TRUMP-PUTIN SUMMIT: WHO IS IN A FIT STATE?
18. The National Interest: Nikolas Gvosdev, U.S.-Russia Relations are Stuck on Repeat. Both Trump and Putin are now locked into narratives about what did (or did not) happen that prevent this issue from being dealt with-and this holds the entire rest of the bilateral agenda hostage.
19. Valdai Discussion Club: Timothy Colton, THE HELSINKI SUMMIT – CAN THE ELECTION-INTERFERENCE SHADOW BE LIFTED?
20. The National Interest: Daniel R. DePetris, Great Expectations: Trump in Helsinki. Is this the start of a Russian reconciliation?
21. Valdai Discussion Club: Dmitry Suslov, PUTIN-TRUMP SUMMIT: TO BE CONTINUED?
22. The National Interest: Nikolai Sokov, The Putin-Trump Summit: In Helsinki, Three Worldviews Will Clash. The West’s clash with Russia is a preview of the conflicts that will arise in the coming decades. (excerpt)
23. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov, Trump, Putin and China.
24. Asia Times: David Goldman, Trump is right about who’s to blame for bad relations with Russia. Washington’s naiveté regarding Moscow comes not from the current administration, but from previous presidents who foolishly designed to reshape Russia in America’s image.
25. The Hill: Jen Kerns, President Trump is tougher on Russia in 18 months than Obama in eight years.
26. Moon of Alabama: Helsinki Talks – How Trump Tries To Rebalance The Global Triangle [moonofalabama.org/2018/07/helsinki-talks-how-trump-tries-to-rebalance-the-global-triangle.html#more]
27. Intellinews.com: Chris Weafer, Sentiment reversals on Russia are far from over.
28. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Putin’s Pension Push: Political Hiccup, Policy.
29. Paul Goble: Governors Back Moscow’s Pension Plan but Seek Exemptions for Their Own People.
30. TASS: Vedomosti: Inefficient businesses should leave market, Central Bank analysts say.
31. Izvestia: Russian pundit says migration policy needs to be ‘more open’
32. TASS: Unexpected news: Russian espionage suspect’s family learns of her arrest in US from media.
33. The National Interest: Maria Butina, The Bear and the Elephant. “It may take the election of a Republican to the White House in 2016 to improve relations between the Russian Federation and the United States.”
34. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, US Arrests Russia’s Foremost 2nd Amendment Activist. (Maria Butina) [Full text with links, graphics and comments: unz.com/akarlin/mueller-hates-russian-human-rights-activists/]
35. The Blog Mire: Rob Slane, The Salisbury Poisonings: How the Ducks Led Down a Rabbit Trail, Then to Some Potentially Crucial Information. [Text with links and comments: theblogmire.com/the-salisbury-poisonings-how-the-ducks-led-down-a-rabbit-trail-then-to-some-potentially-crucial-information/]
36. Moon of Alabama: The Magic Of Novichok – Deadly Agent Found In Perfume Bottle [moonofalabama.org/2018/07/the-magic-of-novichok-deadly-agent-found-in-perfume-bottle.html]