RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-117 :: Wednesday, 27 June 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#117:: Wednesday, 27 June 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. RFE/RL: Putin Says Bolton Visit Gives Hope For Steps To ‘Restore Full-Scale Relations’
2. TASS: Russian-US ties ‘not at their best’ due to internal political strife in US, says Putin.
3. TASS: Kommersant: White House’s super hawk tasked with preparing Putin-Trump summit.
4. TASS: Putin promises to share experience of hosting FIFA World Cup with US.
5. www.rt.com: Hawk lands in Moscow: Trump-Putin meeting & more in store for Bolton’s Russian visit, say analysts.
6. TASS: Neither Russia, nor US will agree to compromise during Bolton’s visit – analyst.
7. Russia Beyond: To what extent will the Russian economy profit from the FIFA World Cup? [Text with links, photos, and chart: rbth.com/business/328620-russia-world-cup-profits]
8. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Russian stocks are the cheapest in emerging markets.
9. Bear Market Brief: Unions want to negotiate with the Duma on pension reform.
10. Meduza: How bad are things for Russia’s oldest liberal democratic political party? Well, it’s currently suing itself in Moscow. (Yabloko)
11. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Russian Orthodox Church structure seen as barrier to reform.
12. www.rt.com: Medvedev orders to prepare anti-US sanctions similar to Europe and China’s.
13. TASS: Energy may become driving force for Russia-US ties – minister Novak.
14. The National Interest: Dave Majumdar, How Russia’s Military Is Becoming Even Deadlier. (with comment)
15. New York Times: In Eastern Europe, Militaries Gird Against Russian Might and Manipulation.
16. Sputnik: WADA Informant Rodchenkov Attempted to Commit Suicide in Washington – Reports.
17. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Former minister says Putin-Trump summit can break ‘vicious circle.’ (Igor Ivanov)
18. Washington Times: Edward Lozansky, The Trump-Putin summit: What is the agenda? Syria and Ukraine are thorny issues for U.S. and Russia.
19. Izvestia: Russian pundit says US ‘destroying’ system of arms control. (Konstantin Bogdanov)
20. Asia Times: Robert Skidelsky, Family values: the growing alliance between Putin and Western populism.
21. Intellinews.com: Ukraine president looses public support, poll says.
22. Reuters: Exclusive: Ukraine Says Russian Hackers Preparing Massive Strike.
23. Sputnik: Mission Complete: What the US Really Had in Mind for Ukraine. [sputniknews.com/europe/201706141054617679-us-ukraine-conflict/]
24. Sputnik: Inside Look Into the Death Squads Used by Ukrainian Counterintelligence. [Text with photos and graphics: sputniknews.com/europe/201806271065805401-ukrainian-political-death-squads-exclusive/]
25. New York Times: Yulia Latynina, Putin’s Threats: More Bark Than Bite.
26. New York Times magazine: Mattathias Schwartz, A Spymaster Steps Out of the Shadows. John Brennan quietly ruled the national-security state under President Obama. Now he’s coming forward to rail against Trump – and to defend his own legacy.
27. Facebook: Michael Carpenter, Russia to Trump: We Own you.
28. Consortiumnews.com: Ray McGovern, Did Sen. Warner and Comey ‘Collude’ on Russia-gate?. The U.S. was in talks for a deal with Julian Assange but then FBI Director James Comey ordered an end to negotiations after Assange offered to prove Russia was not involved in the DNC leak. [consortiumnews.com/2018/06/27/did-sen-warner-and-comey-collude-on-russia-gate/]