RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-54 :: Monday, 20 March 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#54
Monday, 20 March 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, #Russian and #Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
2. Moscow Times: Russians Happier Than They Look, UN Study Shows.
3. TASS: Don’t worry, be happy: back in the USSR’s good old days.
4. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Russia Quality Of Life Indicators Worse Than China’s.
5. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, AUTOCRACY AND THE MEDIA.
6. Consortiumnews.com: Alastair Crooke, Letting Russia Be Russia. Political philosophers stressing Traditionalist values have influenced the thinking of Presidents Putin and Trump, but that may offer a path for Russia and the U.S. to coexist.
7. Paul Goble: Russian Civic Nation ‘Already Exists,’ Doesn’t Need to be Declared or Defined, Kremlin Official Says.
8. Awful Avalanche: Russian Old Believers Seek Rehabilitation – Part I.
9. International Business Times (UK): Graham Lanktree, Why do a vast majority of Russians say their country shouldn’t fight to lift US sanctions? People say they would rather face a continuing rise in prices than give in to America.
10. Russia Matters: Paul Saunders, Dangerous Expectations. Could new and lower Russian expectations for U.S.-Russia relations limit U.S. leverage?
11. Salon.com: Danelle Ryan, So much for the Russian threat: Putin slashes defense spending while Trump plans massive buildup. Despite Western paranoia, Russia’s defense budget is about one-tenth of America’s – with huge cutbacks ahead.
12. TASS: Russian Finance Ministry upgrades GDP growth outlook for 2017.
13. www.rt.com: Rallies law rejigged: Russian govt orders corrections to statute on public gatherings.
14. Interfax: Moscow authorities believe their rejection of Navalny’s requested anti-corruption rally final.
15. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Khodorkovskii Gets It: Russian-Negotiated Transition, Not Western-Backed Revolution.
16. www.rt.com: Free land handover at top of veteran Russian liberal’s presidential agenda. (Grigory Yavlinsky)
17. Financial Times: Lilia Shevtsova, Russia cannot live with the west – or without it. Technological backwardness increases its dependence on liberal democracies.
18. Vedomosti: Moscow pursues imperial policy towards neighboring states – editorial. (Pavel Aptekar)
19. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Why Russia does not want to join OPEC. Russia sees oil club as a competitor, though they share tactical interests.
20. Moscow Times: Dmitry Streltsov, New Friends: Russia and Japan Are Finding Common Ground. Despite territorial disputes and an unresolved peace treaty, more unites Russia and Japan than divides.
21. Russia Beyond the Headlines: What’s life really like in Crimea 3 years after reunion with Russia? RBTH took a trip and found out the truth about life in Crimea three years after the Black Sea peninsula reunited with Russia, and to see whether Crimeans are happy or not.
22. Deutsche Welle: Opinion: Kyiv risks divided Ukraine. As tempers flare in Ukraine, it is Kyiv – of all actors – that is actually undermining national unity. The Poroshenko administration’s blockade of occupied Donbass could lead to the demise of the east, says Bernd Johann.
23. The National Interest: Michael Peck, The CIA’s Secret Plan to Crush Russia During the Cold War: Super Psychic Powers.
24. http://theduran.com: Nunes: ‘no evidence’ of Trump collusion with Russia.
25. Twitter: Michael McFaul and Anne Applebaum expose Russian disinformation.
26. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, NYT’s ‘Tinfoil Hat’ Conspiracy Theory. There is a “tinfoil-hat” quality to The New York Times’ pushing its “Donald Trump Is Russia’s Manchurian Candidate” conspiracy theory as the newspaper sinks deeper into a New McCarthyism.
27. www.thedailybeast.com: Michael Weiss, One Trump Advisor Really Does Know All About Putin. Fiona Hill’s book about Vladimir Putin’s career as an intelligence operative tells us a lot. But what’s she telling Trump?
28. Antiwar.com: Justin Raymond, McCain and Montenegro: The Anatomy of a Conspiracy Theory. Sure, he’s unhinged – but so is practically everyone else.
29. Washington Post: Steven Hall, The questions about Trump and Russia need an independent investigation. (Hall was “managing Russian operations” for CIA)