RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-229 :: Saturday, 9 December 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#229
Saturday, 9 December 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Russia Beyond: Why are Russians so fearless?
2. The National Interest: Is Russia Souring on Donald Trump? Jacob Heilbrunn interviews Andranik Migranyan about Trump and U.S.-Russia relations.
3. Paul Goble: Trump was ‘Russia’s Friend’ in Russian Media for Only a Very Brief Period, New Study Says.
4. Washington Post: Ivan Kurilla, Whenever America is in crisis, Russia is its whipping boy.
5. www.rt.com: Putin says he will run for next term in 2018.
6. TASS: Media: Vladimir Putin announces run for re-election in 2018.
7. www.rt.com: ‘Putin’s popular support must be taken into consideration’ – Gorbachev.
8. Bear Market Brief: After Putin’s declaration, an agenda takes shape.
9. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Russia Takes a Step Toward the Post-Putin Era. The president has made Russia a geopolitical disruptor without a coherent domestic policy. That’s not sustainable.
10. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, So Putin Is Running.
11. Bear Market Brief: Poll: Fewer than 60% of Russians interested in voting.
12. Washington Post: Christopher Jarmas, Yes, the Kremlin is worried – about Russia’s own presidential elections.
13. TASS: Record number of journalists accredited for Putin’s annual news conference.
14. www.rt.com: Poor infrastructure is Russian economy’s biggest woe – economy minister.
15. TASS: Izvestia: Russian GDP to surpass $1.7 trillion in 2019.
16. www.rt.com: Neil Clark, IOC bans Russia: Cold War 2.0 politics ruins the Olympics.
17. New York Times editorial: The Olympic Ban Helps Mr. Putin, Hurts Russia.
18. New York Times: Rebecca Ruiz, Why Russia Tried to Cheat Its Way to Glory.
19. Dances With Bear: John Helmer, WAR AGAINST RUSSIA ON THE SOUTH KOREAN FRONT.
20. Russian International Affairs Council: Olga Alekseeva: Information War Affects Ordinary People.
21. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, COLLUDING WITH HITLER.
Colluding with Hitler
22. www.rt.com: INF 30 years on: US accuses Russia of non-compliance while funding mid-range missile R&D.
23. Russia Matters: Kevin Ryan, After the INF Treaty: An Objective Look at US and Russian Compliance, Plus a New Arms Control Regime. (excerpt)
24. Valdai Discussion Club: Konstantin Asmolov, WHAT RUSSIA CAN DO TOWARDS SETTLING THE KOREAN CRISIS.
25. Intellinews.com: Clare Nuttall, BOOK REVIEW: Russia plays a weak hand strongly in Southeast Europe.
26. TASS: Moscow regrets West does nothing ‘to explain dos and don’ts’ to Kiev.
27. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, DOLPHIN HUNTING IN LUGANSK.
Dolphin hunting in Lugansk
28. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Perhaps 200 Russian Servicemen Died in the Donbass.
29. TASS: Ukrainian experts open war on history branding Catherine II ‘Russian world’ propagandist.
30. The Kremlin Stooge: Mark Chapman. Seasons Greetings From the Masters of Illusion. (re Ukraine)
Seasons Greetings From the Masters of Illusion
31. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, The West Backed the Wrong Man in Ukraine. President Petro Poroshenko is sacrificing Westernization to a personal political agenda.
32. Buzzfeed.com: John Hudson, How Secret Talks With Russia to Prevent Election Meddling Collapsed. With the 2018 midterms on the horizon, Moscow proposed a sweeping noninterference agreement with the United States, US officials tell BuzzFeed News. The Trump administration said no.
33. Financial Times: Edward Luce, Liberal America’s unhealthy fixation on Russia. Putin gets a boost from US paranoia that its Cold War enemy fixed the election.
34. Wall Street Journal: Holman Jenkins, The Long War on Donald Trump. The president is guilty of something. It’s Robert Mueller’s job to figure out what.
35. The Nation: Aaron Mate, The Trump Team Definitely Colluded With a Foreign Power-Just Not the One You Think. Why are the media paying scant attention to Michael Flynn’s admissions about Israel?
36. Russia Reviewed: Review: Russia: What Everyone Needs to Know by Timothy Colton.
37. Rethinking Russia: Pavel Koshkin, Russia Studies in the U.S.: From academic ghetto to political mainstream.