RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-202 :: Wednesday, 25 October 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#202
Wednesday, 25 October 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. TASS: Human rights council chief praises Putin’s decision on monument to victims of repressions.
2. Washington Post: Clinton campaign, DNC paid for research that led to Russia dossier.
3. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, CONFIRMED: DNC, Hillary Clinton campaign ‘paid for Trump Dossier.’ Clinton campaign lawyer acting for DNC/Hillary Clinton campaign hired Fusion GPS, company behind Trump Dossier.
4. Ellen Mickiewicz: New York Times on RT and YouTube.
5. Russia Beyond: Russians are giving up smoking – poll.
6. www.rt.com: Russians ‘not ready’ for mass firearms ownership, says head of federal control body.
7. TASS: Poll shows half of Russians against ban on controversial film Matilda.
8. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, With celeb-journalist’s candidacy, stage is set for Putin’s 2018 reelection. Last week, journalist Ksenia Sobchak threw her hat into the ring for Russia’s upcoming election. Experts say that while her candidacy is likely sincere, it fills a desired role in the campaign that Vladimir Putin is all but certain to win.
9. Moscow Times: Sobchak Campaign Teams Up With Igor Malashenko, Who Once Helped Yeltsin.
10. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, FOOT IN MOUTH CANDIDATE. (re Sobchak)
11. Interfax: Udaltsov calls for consolidation of left-wing forces in Russia.
12. Interfax: “Against all” option may reappear in Russian elections soon – Matviyenko
13. www.khodorkovsky.com: Mikhail Khodorkovsky: We Must Seize This Opportunity. Mikhail Khodorkovsky announces his stance on the 2018 Russian presidential elections.
14. Paul Goble: ‘Rejection of Revolution Not a Mandate for Stagnation,’ Nezavisimaya Gazeta Says.
15. Russia Insider: Anatoly Karlin, BLAME PUTIN: Russian Oppositionist Journalist Was Attacked by Deranged Israeli Resident. MSM has been eager to report on the attack on the journalist of liberal oppositionist Radio Ekho (sponsored by Kremlin via Gazprom), less eager to report on the tiny detail that her attacker was a deranged and thoroughly anti-Putin listener of Ekho.
16. Bear Market Brief: Retirement Age.
17. Bloomberg: Putin Disappoints Investors With Quick Exit From Moscow Forum.
18. Sputnik: Russia’s Oil and Gas Revenue to Make Up Only 1/3 of All Budget Income – Putin.
19. TASS: Trade turnover by Northern Sea Route grows by 20% in 2017.
20. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: EU, Kiev, US scheming to derail Nord Stream 2.
21. The Times of Israel: Ukrainian nationalist to Jews: ‘Get used to our rules’ or be punished. Freedom party branch head calls for minorities to be ‘put in their place’ amid dispute over statue of leader linked to pogroms.
22. TASS: Ukrainian authorities to deport Saakashvili for political reasons – analyst.
23. www.rt.com: Danielle Ryan, Diligent media fact-checkers fail to notice Ukrainian president’s fake tweet.
24. Fort Russ: Eduard Popov, Is Moldova the next Ukraine?
25. Russian International Affairs Council: Sergey Serebrov, Yemen Crisis: Causes, Threats and Resolution Scenarios.
26. Sputnik: Moscow: US Actions Towards Russian Diplomatic Compounds Violation of Intl Norms.
27. www.rt.com: ‘Neither formal nor painless’: Moscow slams State Dept. for downplaying Russian media witch hunt.
28. National Review: Rich Lowry, The Facebook Farce. It’s unlikely that Russia’s Facebook ad buys had a significant impact on the 2016 election.
29. Interfax: Kremlin had no plans for Russian Revolution centenary celebrations in first place – Peskov.
30. Financial Times: Putin steers clear of 1917 revolution celebrations. President shares Russian public’s ambivalence towards tumult of a century ago.
31. www.rt.com: Revolution in VR: Travel in time to 1917 Russia with RT’s unique 360 panoramic video series.
32. Los Angeles Review of Books: Patrick Iber, The Party’s Over: Looking Back on Communism.