RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-132 :: Tuesday, 11 July 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#132
Tuesday, 11 July 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. PBS Newshour: Pride, patriotism and how Putin helped redefine what it means to be a ‘true Russian’
2. Washington Post: Michael McFaul Why deciding to ‘move forward’ with Putin is a big mistake.
3. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrei Kortunov and Fyodor Lukyanov, G20 IN HAMBURG: POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE? EXPERT DISCUSSION.
4. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, How Trump Got Putin Wrong on Cybersecurity. The idea that Russia and the U.S. work out the rules of engagement in cyberspace isn’t crazy.
5. Newsweek.com: DOES PUTIN SPEAK ENGLISH? AFTER TRUMP MEETING, THE KREMLIN WEIGHS IN.
6. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Trump and Putin at Hamburg: Towards Reset 2.0?
7. The National Interest: Andrew Kuchins, The Biggest News about the Trump-Putin Meeting Was That It Happened At All. A relatively normal first meeting between Russian and American leaders is a good thing.
8. Russia Reviewed: Real thoughts on “fake news”
9. Moscow Times: Tributes to Anton Nossik, Pioneer of Russia’s Internet, Cut Across Divides. The Internet’s ‘Pushkin’ died on July 9, just days after turning 51.
10. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Huge scandal at the Bolshoi Theater: ‘Nureyev’ ballet is canceled. ‘Politically motivated’ decision made just 3 days before world premier.
11. www.rt.com: Oil production cuts can go longer & deeper – Russian energy minister.
12. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Bad business in Russia: Brutal blackmail methods still being used. With the advance of technology, Russian criminals are abandoning the savage practises of the 1990s in favor of more subtle, intelligent tactics.
13. Russia Insider: Paul Goncharoff, Americans Ignore CNN, Visit Russia in Record Numbers. Bookings by the better known US-based specialized travel agencies for Americans heading to Russia have seen a dramatic turnaround with increases of 30% between 2015 and 2016, adding a further +12% so far in 2017.
14. Wall Street Journal editorial: A Russia Sanctions Trap. A Senate provision could hurt U.S. oil firms working outside Russia.
15. Sputnik: Moscow Outraged Over US Not Resolving Russian Diplomatic Property Issue – Lavrov.
16. Interfax: Russia ready to expel about 30 U.S. diplomats, freeze U.S. property – newspaper.
17. TASS: Lavrov names key topics for Geneva talks on Syria.
18. Intellinews.com: Beijing stirs up Russia’s backyard.
19. Politico.com: Vijai Maheshwari, In New York, like Kiev, it’s all about Putin. The two cities are united now in their common fear and loathing of Russia.
20. The National Interest: Curt Mills, Can Kurt Volker Solve the Ukraine Crisis? Kurt Volker, widely known as a tough-minded and accomplished diplomat, confronts his biggest challenge in working to implement the Minsk agreements.
21. TASS: Expert says Ukraine very ‘far away’ from NATO right now.
22. Sputnik: Number of Ukrainians With Positive View Toward Russia Grows by 5% in 3 Months.
23. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, Forgetting the ‘Dirty Dossier’ on Trump. The new Russia-gate furor is over Donald Trump Jr. meeting a Russian who claimed to have dirt on Hillary Clinton, but the Clinton team’s Russian cash-for-trash search against Trump Sr. is all but forgotten.
24. Disobedient Media: New Research Shows Guccifer 2.0 Files Were Copied Locally, Not Hacked.
25. New York Times editorial: The Culture of Dishonesty.
26. Washington Post editorial: The Trump campaign’s attempted collusion.
27. Russia Insider: Sergey Markov, Top Russian Analyst Explains How US Relations Got So Bad. A short history of US-Russia relations since ‘Gorby-mania’