RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-114 :: Monday, 19 June 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#114
Monday, 19 June 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Russia Beyond the Headlines: 7 aphorisms that are essential to understanding Russian civilization. “Russia can’t be understood with the mind only,” and “Russia has two misfortunes,,,” What do these and other famous quotes about Russia and Russians mean, and where do they come from?
2. Intellinews.com: Russia enjoys third year of natural population growth.
3. TASS: Poll reveals low wages, economy and healthcare problems worry Russians most.
4. Consortiumnews.com: James Carden, Sorting Out Ukraine Conflict’s History. The U.S. mainstream media’s narrative of the Ukraine crisis – hailing the 2014 Maidan uprising and blaming the ensuing conflict on Russia – is facing challenge in some early historical accounts.
5. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Putin the Balancer: Containing and Balancing Russia’s Multifarious Forces through Soft Authoritarianism.
6. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, 25 things revealed about Vladimir Putin by Oliver Stone in the Putin Interviews. Russian President Vladimir Putin over the course of the Putin Interviews gives an insight into his personality such as he has never done before.
7. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, In Final Oliver Stone Interview, Putin Predicts When Russia-US Crisis Ends.
8. Watch all four parts of Oliver Stone’s ‘The Putin Interviews’ on Vimeo.
9. TASS: Russia’s Channel One to air Oliver Stone’s documentary on Putin.
10. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, Putin at Direct Line Q&A: America is not Russia’s enemy.
11. Interfax: Putin chooses systemic solutions to questions highlighted at Q&A session – Peskov.
12. Sputnik: Putin Says Not Every Problem in Russia Solved Using Hands-on Management.
14. Carnegie Moscow Center: Andrey Pertsev, Volodin vs. Kiriyenko: The Battle for Influence in Russia’s Power Vertical.
15. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Russia has not touched its reserves funds this year, but it will. Russia’s gross international reserves have been growing.
16. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Economic strategies for Russia considered by Kremlin viewed. (Nikolay Vardul)
17. www.rt.com: Russia’s Rosneft discovers vast new oil deposit on Arctic shelf.
18. Intellinews.com: Aaron Schwartzbaum, Can IT revive Russia’s economy? President Vladimir Putin did not offer much clarity in his discussion of IT at SPIEF.
19. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, SPB Impressions. (re Saint Petersburg)
20. Bloomberg: Cold War Deja Vu Deepens as New Russia Sanctions Anger Europe.
21. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, The Senate Sets The Table For Full-Blown Russia Sanctions.
22. The Kremlin Stooge: Mark Chapman, Flirting With Disaster. (re sanctions on Russia)
23. Sputnik: Trade Turnover Between Russia, US Up by 29%.
24. Lenta.ru: Russia Prepares Ten Projects for US Investors.
25. www.engadget.com: Senate alters sanctions to allow use of Russian rocket engines. They just avoided a major crisis in American spaceflight.
26. Russia Matters: Steven Pifer, Taking the Edge off U.S.-Russia Strategic Relations.
27. www.rt.com: Russian military halts Syria sky incident prevention interactions with US as of June 19 – Moscow.
28. Valdai Discussion Club: Russian Experts: The Middle East Will Never Be the Same.
29. The Unz Review: The Saker, Russia and Islam. Connecting the Dots and Discerning the Future.
30. Washington Post: Joshua Cohen, Ukraine’s ultra-right militias are challenging the government to a showdown.
31. TASS: Kommersant: Kiev eyeing plan for “peaceful reintegration” of Donbass republics.
32. TASS: Kremlin comments on Kiev’s plan for Donbass reintegration.
33. Consortiumnews.com: James Carden, The Fallacies of the ‘Russia-Truthers.’ The anti-Russia hysteria – now rivaling past Red Scares with Russians hiding under every bed – has led to factual errors in press accounts and has erased standards of political fairness.
34. Antiwar.com: David Stockman, The Little Putsch That Could…Beget a Great Big Coup.
35. Wall Street Journal: James Freeman, The Special Seinfeld? An investigation about nothing could become something worse.
36. News York Times editorial: Mr. Trump’s Dangerous Indifference to Russia.
37. Washington Post editorial: Congress rises to the occasion on Iran and Russia.
38. Public Diplomacy Council: VOA against the “Firehose of Falsehoods”