RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2016-66 :: Tuesday, 5 April 2016
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2016-#66
Tuesday, 5 April 2016
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or the George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Business Insider: Russia’s former largest foreign investor: Putin is worth $200 billion. (Bill Browder)
2. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Who is fretting about Panama Papers? Probably not Putin. At least, not for now. Many Russians may see either business as usual or ‘Putinphobia.’
3. AP: Leaks about offshore accounts leave Russians unimpressed.
4. DJ: The well-known non-partisan Novaya Gazeta has its expose here: http://krug.novayagazeta.ru/
5. BBC Monitoring: Russian press says Panama Papers leak won’t have implications inside country.
6. Moscow Times: Russian Prosecutor General’s Office to Investigate Panama Papers.
7. www.rt.com: Panama Papers leak not specifically directed against Russia – ICIJ head.
8. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Panama Papers scandal: Who is Russia’s Sergei Roldugin?
9. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Putin: The Whipping Boy of Panama.
10. www.rt.com: Robert Bridge, Panama leak reveals more about Western journalism than Vladimir Putin.
11. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Putin’s a Pauper, His Friends Are Rich.
12. Washington Post editorial” The Panama Papers: Where have Russia’s billions gone?
13. Bloomberg: Russian Inflation Slows More Than Forecast as Ruble Shock Fades.
14. TASS: Russian minister believes economy will come out of recession in 2016.
15. RIA Novosti: Economic crisis is biting but Russians remain stoical, poll shows.
16. http://seansrussiablog.org: Sean Guillory, 19 Million Russians.
17. Harvard Business Review: Martina Bozadzhieva, Why Multinationals Are Doubling Down on Russia.
18. Vedomosti: Putin re-appoints Chechen leader to “keep situation under control” – daily.
19. Moscow Times: Eduard Bezuglov, Russian Sport Can Move Forward From Doping Scandal.
20. The National Interest: Paul Saunders, There Is No Secret Russian Oil War. Moscow isn’t sowing Middle East chaos to drive up oil prices.
21. Moscow Times: Russia’s Military Budget Ranks Fourth Worldwide – Report.
22. The Nation: James Carden, The Threat of Nuclear Weapons Is Greater Today Than It Was During the Cold War. “There is no rational reason to feel secure today.”
23. www.rt.com: In a nutshell: NATO chief vows to make US allies ramp up defense bills citing ‘Russian aggression’
24. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Patrick Armstrong, Russia Prepares for a Big War: The Significance of a Tank Army.
25. Heritage Foundation: Peter Brookes, Russian ‘Reset’ a Resounding Failure.
26. Russia Direct: Kirill Zarifulin, Does Russia really pose a threat to the Baltic States? Politicians and experts from the Baltic States continue to insist that Russia presents an imminent threat to their security, but the full commitment of the U.S. to NATO suggests otherwise.
27. Reuters: Warring Sides Declare Ceasefire Over Nagorno-Karabakh.
28. Interfax: Russian expert: Karabakh conflict to go back to frozen state. (Fyodor Lukyanov)
29. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Nagorno-Karabakh fighting destabilises Caucasus.
30. RFE/RL: De Waal: Kremlin ‘Not Primary Actor’ Behind Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict.
31. Reuters: Leaked documents show no evidence of crime by Ukraine’s Poroshenko – prosecutor official.
32. Euromaidanpress.com/UKRAYINSKA PRAVDA: Anatoliy Rodzynskyi, Expert: Journalists falsely accused Poroshenko in corruption.
33. www.foreignpolicy.com: Reid Standish, Will the ‘Panama Papers’ Bring Down Ukraine’s Chocolate King?
34. Washington Post: Tymofiy Mylovanov and Zoya Mylovanova, Here is what the “Panama Papers” tell us about the President of Ukraine.
35. www.rt.com: Sanction NYT now, Russia suggests after Ukraine pres. accuses newspaper of ‘hybrid war’
36. Russia Insider: Alexander Mercouris, Ukraine’s Government Crisis Comes to a Head. Threat by Poroshenko to dissolve parliament and call fresh elections highlights Ukraine’s instability.
37. UN.org: Two years of conflict leaves 1.5 million people hungry in eastern Ukraine – UN agency.
38. Counterpunch.org: Ulrich Heyden, New Fighting in Eastern Ukraine.
39. Interfax-Ukraine: Western Ukrainian city bans use of word Russia on signs.
40. Washington Blade: Lev Golinkin, U.S. silent on anti-LGBT attacks in Ukraine.
41. Consortiumnews.com: James Carden, Fear and Loathing in Ukraine.
42. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Ukraine’s Naftogaz Breaks With Russia’s Gazprom…Again.
43. Moscow Times: Russian Prime Minister: Ukraine Has ‘No Industry, or State’
44. Wall Street Journal: Dutch Vote on EU-Ukraine Deal Could Send Ripples Through Europe. EU officials fear a rejection could fuel rising euroskepticism.
45. Nicolai Petro: EPS special issue: Ukraine in Crisis.