RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2014-#165 contents with links :: Wednesday 30 July 2014
Johnson’s Russia List
JRL 2014-#165 :: Wednesday 30 July 2014
A project of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs: www.ieres.org
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. Interfax-Ukraine: Klimkin: Conflict in Ukraine the most serious since Cuban missile crisis.
2. CNN.com: Pavlo Klimkin, The bitter lessons of MH17.
3. Interfax-Ukraine: Ukrainian servicemen take over Avdiyivka, cleansing Ilovaisk and liberating Pervomaisk.
4. Kyiv Post: Ukrainian media release videos to boost morale, love for nation’s army (VIDEO).
5. Kyiv Post: Dmitry Tymchuk’s military blog: Nobody wants to put pressure on Kremlin over its shelling of Ukrainian troops.
6. Euromaidan Press: Four evangelical Christians executed by pro-Russian terrorists for ‘sectarianism and treason’
7. Voices of Ukraine: Sexual slavery in occupied Luhansk.
8. Foxnews.com: Richard Grenell, Memo to the White House: Stop talking and act.
9. Foxnews.com: Former CIA spy: Putin using Soviet tactics to confuse US. (Jack Devine)
10. Euromaidan Press: Snob.ru, After Putin.
11. New Republic: Julia Ioffe, The West Has Cornered Putin-and That’s When He’s Most Dangerous.
12. Reuters: Nina Khrushcheva, Putin’s anti-American rhetoric now persuades his harshest critics.
13. Financial Times editorial: Closing a 25-year chapter with Russia. Putin’s misconduct made new sanctions inevitable.
14. The American Interest: Andrew Michta, Stopping Putin’s Irredentist Project. The West is treating the fighting in eastern Ukraine as a sui generis crisis, rather than what it is: part of Putin’s larger strategy.
15. The Australian: Geoffrey Luck, Putin resumes the big lie.
16. Time: Simon Shuster, In Russia, Crime Without Punishment.
17. Wall Street Journal: William Galston, The Putin Test for Obama in Ukraine. Sanctions on Russia are not enough. The U.S. should provide Kiev with intelligence and arms.
18. Euromaidan Press: MH17 crash is a planned terrorist act, Illarionov says.
19. www.foreignaffairs.com: Stephen Holmes and Ivan Krastev, Putin’s Losing Streak. The Malaysia Airlines Disaster and the New Sanctions on Ukraine.
20. Center for Strategic and International Studies: Sarah E. Mendelson, John R. Harvey, Responding to Putin’s Plan Post-Crimea.
21. American Enterprise Institute: Leon Aron, Russia’s next moves in Ukraine after the downing of MH17. Testimony before the House Foreign Affairs Committee.
22. Los Angeles Times: Leon Aron, With Ukraine, Putin is courting the home crowd.
23. Forbes.com: Paul Roderick Gregory, Times Report Casts Shame on Obama’s Handling of Ukraine Crisis.
24. The National Interest: Ian Bond, Denis Corboy, William Courtney, and Kenneth Yalowitz, Russia and the West’s Dangerous Clash: Time for NATO & EU Expansion East?
24. Paul Goble: Window on Eurasia: Putin’s ‘Russian Spring’ Idea was Invented by Russian Fascists in 1920s.