RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#200 :: Thursday, 12 December 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#200 :: Thursday, 12 December 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russia Beyond: 10 most important Russian books of the 2010s – rbth.com/arts/331400-russian-books-2010s
2. Wall Street Journal: Gary Saul Morson, ‘Ministry of Darkness’ Review: An Intellect of Empire. Sergei Uvarov was a singular ﬁgure who exercised a profound influence on Russian education and thought.
3. Moscow Carnegie Center: Sergei Utkin, Why the Normandy Summit Was Not a Waste of Time. Solving humanitarian problems and stabilizing the area around the line of contact is the bare minimum outcome of talks on Ukraine that all sides consider necessary. At the same time, each side suspects that for its opponents, this minimum is also the maximum in terms of what is politically acceptable.
4. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrei Tsygankov, Hostages of Normandy Process: Ukraine as a Systemic International Problem.
5. TASS: Zelensky lacks potential to hack through Gordian knot of Ukrainian conflict – analyst.
6. Interfax: Calling Minsk Agreements treason will deal blow to Zelensky, entire Normandy format – Poroshenko’s lawyer.
7. Interfax: Putin instructs State Duma to draft proposals on national register of mass graves of victims of political repressions.
8. Vesti.ru: Putin Speaks About Beslan Tragedy – Will Remember Pain From the Attack For Rest of Life. (Human Rights Council meeting) – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3219671&cid=4441
9. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Accounts Chamber Chairman Alexei Kudrin – kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/62295
10. Fpri.org: Vitali Shkliarov, United Russia is Dead.
11. Meduza: ‘He made mistakes and worked to fix them’ Yury Luzhkov, Moscow’s mayor in the 90s and aughts, has died. Here’s how public figures from Putin to Khodorkovsky remember him.
12. Meduza: Putin advisor agrees to meet with Russian Fridays for Future climate activists, convey their demands to Putin.
13. TASS: Sanctions hinder cooperation on tackling climate change, says Russian president’s envoy.
14. Awful Avalanche: Who is Egor Zhukov? – Part II – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/12/10/who-is-egor-zhukov-part-ii/
15. Awful Avalanche: Who is Egor Zhukov? – Part III – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/12/12/who-is-egor-zhukov-part-iii/
16. Financial Times: Citizen K – Mikhail Khodorkovsky documentary paints the dissident as a saint. Alex Gibney’s film portrays its subject as all but flawless. Can that be right?
17. Intellinews.com: Russia emerges as a top three fintech market.
18. www.rt.com: Germany rejects any extraterritorial sanctions against Russia’s Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline – Foreign Ministry – rt.com/business/475683-germany-rejects-sanctions-nord-stream2/
19. www.rt.com: Absolute power: How WADA became the judge, jury and executioner of world sports – rt.com/news/475529-wada-absolute-power-international-sport/
20. Wired.com: As the Arctic melts, China and Russia struggle for control. “China has made the case that it’s an Arctic state – this is at odds with Russia’s conception of what an Arctic state is”
21. TASS: Kommersant: US seeks to boost trade with Russia despite sanctions.
22. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Wishful Thinking? Trump Wants More Trade With Russia.
23. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: ‘Russian cunning’ and China hinder Moscow’s arms control proposal.
24. Military.com: Russia Has Stopped Buzzing US Ships and Aircraft in Europe, General Says.
25. Vesti.ru: Lavrov Not Welcome in Washington. Democrats and Allies Eager to Sabotage Talks With Trump – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3219884&cid=4441
26. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, What will Belarus gain from the proposed merger with Russia?
27. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, UNPRECEDENTED BRAZENNESS.
28. PRI.org: Analyst on Lavrov visit: Russia is ‘running circles’ around Trump. (Carnegie’s Andrew Weiss)
29. New York Times editorial: Ukraine’s President Stands Alone Against Russia. The lack of American interest was clear as the two nations’ presidents met in Paris.
30. Wall Street Journal editorial: The IG, Nunes and Schiff. The Horowitz report reveals the Democrat’s many distortions.
31. Wall Street Journal: Daniel Henninger, What Horowitz Actually Debunked. The report refers 19 times to Crossfire Hurricane’s threat to ‘constitutionally protected activity,’ including the First Amendment.
32. Washington Times: Julia Gorin, Can Russia trust the wily, wily West?