RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#148 :: Thursday, 12 September 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#148 :: Thursday, 12 September 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Media: Trump’s policy prospects after clipping hawkish adviser’s wings.
2. Valdai Discussion Club: Dmitry Suslov, John Bolton’s Departure as a ‘Window of Opportunity’ -valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/john-bolton-s-departure-as-a-window-of-opportunity/
3. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov, Like a Suspended Gym Teacher: Why We Should Not Expect Russia to be Welcomed Back into the G7 – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/like-a-suspended-gym-teacher-why-we-should-not-expect-russia-to-be-welcomed-back-into-the-g7/
4. Government.ru: Dialogue with Dmitry Medvedev. The Prime Minister discussed the Government’s plans to achieve national development goals with businesspeople and analysts on Rossiya 24’s Dialogue programme.
5. www.urdupoint.com: Russian Doctors Should Have Legal Framework To Prescribe Analgesic Without Fear – Medvedev – urdupoint.com/en/world/russian-doctors-should-have-legal-framework-t-709719.html
6. Interfax: Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country – Putin.
7. Le Monde diplomatique: Tony Wood, Russia’s appointed billionaires. In the post-Soviet era, Russian corruption has been a public-private partnership run by an oligarch class profiting from state-led crony capitalism.
8. Meduza: ‘Intimidation and robbery’; Police launch nationwide raids against Alexey Navalny’s regional offices, days after ‘Smart Vote’ potentially shifts election results in Moscow.
9. www.rt.com: Supporters of Kremlin critic Navalny subjected to searches throughout Russia – reports.
10. Bloomberg: Russia Turns Trampled Grass Into Weapon Against Opponents.
11. RFE/RL: A Blow To Fair Elections: Russian Police Stand Idly By As Election Observer Is Sucker Punched.
12. Vedomosti: Sociologist says society ‘polarised’ after Moscow protests. (Denis Volkov)
13. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Russian pundit says reforms only cure for state ‘paralysis.’ (Yevgeny Gontmakher)
14. www.rt.com: Court bounces fraud case against Russian director Serebrennikov, lifts travel ban.
15. The Begin-Sadat Center for Strategic Studies (Israel): Emil Avdaliani, Russia Will Likely Collapse from the Inside.
16. TASS: Kommersant: Russian experts lay out new notion dubbed ‘multilateral strategic stability’
17. TASS: Russia hasn’t tested any missiles banned by INF after the deal’s collapse.
18. Interfax: Moscow ready to discuss with U.S. different solutions to New START issue – Ryabkov.
19. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Eurasian politics on the cusp of change.
20. The National Interest: Dimitri Alexander Simes, Russia Tries to Balance India and China. With Russia moving ever closer to China, can Moscow manage to maintain its historically friendly ties with one of Beijing’s prospective regional rivals?
21. Russian International Affairs Council: Russia and Ukraine: The Potential of Science and Expert Knowledge to Resolve Differences. – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/russia-and-ukraine-the-potential-of-science-and-expert-knowledge-to-resolve-differences/
22. International Crisis Group: Ukraine-Russia Prisoner Swap: Necessary, Not Sufficient.
23. Vedomosti: Daily views Russia-Ukraine prisoner swap as ‘politically important’
24. Meduza: Vladimir Frolov: Oleg Smolenkov is full of sh[*]t.
25. Vesti.ru: CNN Cooks Up Yet ANOTHER Fake RussiaGate Spy Story to Make Trump, Putin Look Bad! – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3188084&cid=4441
26. Wall Street Journal: Notable & Quotable: Did Russia Decide the Election? ‘I think that really does devalue the people in Wisconsin and Michigan and others who decided to vote for President Trump.'(Condoleezza Rice)