RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2015-#27 table of contents with links :: Friday 13 February 2015
Johnson’s Russia List
JRL 2015-#27 :: Friday 13 February 2015
A project of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs: www.ieres.org
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. Business New Europe: Graham Stack, KYIV BLOG: What triggered the Maidan massacre?
2. www.rt.com: BBC airs Maidan fighter admitting he fired on police before Kiev massacre.
3. The New Yorker: Sophie Pinkham, Which Ukraine?
4. Quartz: Linda Kinstler, Ukraine is heading for a total economic collapse.
5. The National Interest: Dmitri Trenin, The Disturbing Legacy of the Ukraine Crisis. “The world disorder that so many pundits talked about for years has finally arrived in Europe.”
6. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Kiev, rebels sign cease-fire, but Ukraine’s path to peace remains steep.
7. The Independent (UK): Mary Dejevsky, Ukraine crisis: Deal that does not remove distrust but on which a political settlement depends. It is not just Russia’s good faith that will be tested but Poroshenko’s too
8. Russia Direct: Just how successful were the ‘last chance’ Minsk peace talks? Russia Direct asked experts in both Russia and the U.S. to assess the outcomes of the ‘last chance’ Ukraine peace talks in Minsk. Stopping the bloodshed, they say, is an important first step to bringing lasting peace to the region.
9. Sputnik: Russia Guarantor of Ukraine Settlement, Not Party Fulfilling Deal – Kremlin.
10. Interfax: Russia didn’t make any promises to release pilot Savchenko in Minsk summit – Peskov.
11. TASS: West tries to make Russia responsible for Minsk accords enforcement – analysts.
12. Carnegie Moscow Center: BALÁZS JARÁBIK, What Did Minsk II Actually Achieve?
13. Facebook: Alexander Mercouris, The Minsk “Agreement”
14. The National Interest: Nikolas Gvosdev, Europe’s Desperate Hail Mary to Save Ukraine. The new Minsk agreement will likely be the last attempt at ending the violent conflict in Ukraine. Can Europe pull it off?
15. The Vineyard of the Saker: The useless agreement which everybody wanted.
16. www.rt.com: ‘Putin’s main interest – survival of Russia.’ (interview with Jeffrey Sommers)
17. Business New Europe: Ben Aris, MOSCOW BLOG: Putin’s vision – building a Greater Europe by 2050.
18. Moscow Times: Chris Weafer, Investors Are Cautiously Optimistic About Russia.
19. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Russia left without ballistic missile early warning system.
20. The Brookings Institution: Fiona Hill, Toward a strategy for dealing with Russia.
21. Kyiv Post editorial: West washes its hands.
22. PBS Newshour: Will the Ukraine-Russia deal stick? (with Michael McFaul and Fiona Hill)
23. Sputnik: OSCE Head Confirms No Russian Troops in Donbas.
24. www.rt.com: Busted: Kiev MPs try to fool US senator with ‘proof’ of Russian tanks in Ukraine (PHOTOS)
25. The National Interest: Paul Saunder, 5 Reasons Arming Ukraine Won’t Work. “While arming Ukraine may help Ukraine’s military kill more enemy soldiers…it is quite unlikely that doing so will succeed in changing the Kremlin’s policy in Ukraine.”
26. The Economist: What Russia wants. From cold war to hot war. Russia’s aggression in Ukraine is part of a broader, and more dangerous, confrontation with the West.
27. New York Times editorial: Making the Ukraine Cease-Fire Stick.
28. Washington Post editorial: The Ukraine cease-fire does little to restrain Mr. Putin.
29. Wall Street Journal editorial: Putin’s Latest Victory. The Minsk accord ratifies a Russian satrapy in Ukraine.
30. Fort Russ: Right Sector leader Dmitry Yarosh creates parallel Armed Forces of Ukraine.
31. The American Interest: Lilia Shevtsova, THE UKRAINE CRISIS. The Kremlin Is Winning. How the West uses a collection of “myths” about Russia to deceive itself about its own impotence.
32. US Department of State: BACKGROUND BRIEFING ON UKRAINE. Senior Administration Officials.