RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-60 :: Tuesday, 3 April 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#60
Tuesday, 3 April 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Russia Beyond: Are Russians ready to separate their garbage?
2. Forbes.com: The Ten Travel Destinations Trending Most Right Now (Hint: Putin Should Be Happy). (excerpt)
3. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, With Russians feeling besieged, some give Putin a loaded title: vozhd. Vozhd literally means leader, but in politics it is inextricably linked with the personality cult of Joseph Stalin. Now, with many Russians feeling their country is under attack from the West, some are invoking the term in solidarity with Putin and defiance of his critics.
4. The National Interest: Doug Bandow, The West Should Avoid Starting a New Cold War with Russia.
5. Moscow Times: James F. Schumaker, Diplomatic Retaliation: Can We End This Cycle of Mutual Punishment? Very little good comes from tit-for-tat retaliation.
6. TASS: Kommersant: Putin-Trump meeting would positively influence bilateral ties, ex-envoy says.
7. Facebook: Dmitri Trenin, “What use can there be of a Putin-Trump meeting? To mobilize opposition both within and outside the US Administration? Better let Americans tackle their domestic situation and deal with the outcome. Meanwhile, strategic patience would be the right posture.”
8. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Remarks and answers to media questions by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov during a joint press conference following talks with the Foreign Minister of Bangladesh Abul Hassan Mahmood Ali, Moscow, 2 April, 2018. (excerpt re US and UK)
9. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: The Russian party’s questions for the OPCW’s Technical Secretariat regarding the UK’s fabricated “Skripal case”
10. www.rt.com: Moscow won’t accept probe into Skripal case if Russian specialists won’t take part – envoy to OPCW.
11. The Daily Mail (UK): Was nerve agent spy poisoned by his breakfast? Police quiz daughter’s friend who brought £1 bag of cereal from Russia as a gift. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5566707/Russian-nerve-agent-spy-poisoned-favourite-breakfast.html
12. Business Insider: Putin’s $19,200 rent-a-mobs: Emails show Russia uses paid thugs and email hackers to sow dissent and chaos abroad. http://www.businessinsider.com/leaked-emails-show-russia-uses-paid-thugs-to-sow-dissent-and-chaos-2018-4
13. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Central Election Commission Chairperson Ella Pamfilova.
14. www.rt.com: Top Communist names farm magnate Grudinin as party’s ‘new Russian national leader’
15. Bloomberg: Russian Billionaire Arrest Jolts Stocks, Fuels Cabinet Shake-Up Speculation.
16. Meduza: Direct mayoral elections are abolished in Yekaterinburg.
17. Tatiana Stanovaya: New project dedicated to Russian politics.
18. www.rt.com: Moscow homebuying surges as Britain spooks wealthy Russians.
19. The Wire (India): Kanwal Sibal, Russia-Baiting and the International Fallout of the Murky Skripal Poisoning Case. The West would do well to remember that it cannot escape engaging Russia – a formidable nuclear power, a permanent member of the UN Security Council and Europe’s crucial energy partner.
20. Indian Punchline: M K Bhadrakumar, A Trump-Putin summit is just what’s needed.
21. Indian Punchline: M K Bhadrakumar, Trump is the most peace-loving US president Putin will ever know.
22. Vox.com: Trump’s Russia policy is an incoherent mess. On Russia, it’s Trump versus the Trump administration.
23. Vesti.ru: The West is Collapsing, Too Weak to Wage a War Against Russia Even if They Wanted To. [TV video with English subtitles https://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3002850&cid=4441]
24. The National Interest: Dave Majumdar, Russia and China Are Now Building Weapons Together.
25. Asia Times: US won’t easily break Russia’s hold on Vietnam. Recent historic docking of US aircraft carrier at Da Nang did little to shake Hanoi’s strategic embrace of Moscow.
26. Atlantic Council: Michael Bociurkiw, Is Putin Getting Ready to Exit the Donbas?
27. TASS: Spokesperson for US Embassy in Russia among expelled diplomats – source.
28. AP: Russia-Backed TV Channel RT Is Gone From DC-Area Broadcasts.
29. Washington Post editorial: Is it a crime to worship God? According to Russia, yes.
30. Washington Post: Leonid Peisakhin and Arturas Rozenas, When does Russian propaganda work – and when does it backfire? Here’s what we found.
31. New York Times: David Brooks, Vladimir Putin, the Most Influential Man in the World. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/opinion/vladimir-putin-most-influential.html
32. New York Times: Clint Watts, For Russia, Trump Was a Vehicle, Not a Target. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/03/opinion/trump-russia-mueller-election.html
33. Vesti.ru: Soloviev’s Exclusive Interview With President Putin – The New World Order and Russia’s Place in It. (DJ: Experts on Putin might actually watch this.) [Video with English subtitles https://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3002370&cid=4441]