RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-5 :: Monday, 8 January 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#5
Monday, 8 January 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Russia Outlook 2018.
2. Washington Post: David Filipov, This Russian presidential contender has zero chance against Putin. But a man can dream. (Communist Party’s Pavel Grudinin)
3. Politkom.ru: Russian commentator previews Putin election campaign. (Tatyana Stanovaya)
4. The Russian Reader: Valery Dymshits: What Boycotting the Presidential Election Would Means.
За последнее время в сети все ярче начинают вспыхивать дискуссии о том, имеет ли смысл бойкот выборов или, наоборот, реа…
5. RFE/RL: Putin Hails ‘Eternal Christian Values’ Amid Orthodox Christmas Celebrations.
6. AFP: Ukraine, Russia churches divided in Xmas messages.
7. http://usforeignpolicy.blogs.lalibre.be: Gilbert Doctorow, The New Russian “Messianism” Defined: Patriarch Kirill’s Christmas Day Interview.
8. CrimeRussia: Cut! 2017’s biggest governor resignations. The year that is now ending has been surprisingly rich in regional government reshuffles. Governors stepped down so often that the phenomenon was referred to as “governor fall-off”, since is started in the fall and went on until late December. Learn about the most significant and unexpected resignations of region top officials in today’s review of the CrimeRussia.
9. www.rt.com: Russia-China combined gold reserves could shake US dominance in global economy – expert tells RT.
10. The Hill: William Courtney, Not all Russian oligarchs are alike.
11. http://thesaker.is: Russia without SWIFT. (excerpt)
12. Washington Post editorial: Russia and the United States are wrecking a landmark treaty. It doesn’t make sense for the countries to backtrack on an agreement that wiped out an entire class of dangerous missiles.
13. www.rt.com: Gorbachev urges Russian & US leaders to ‘prevent collapse’ of landmark INF treaty.
14. Buzzfeed.com: John Hudson, Trump Administration Set for Broad Engagement with Russia in Early 2018. Ending an Obama policy of isolating Moscow, the top military leaders of NATO and Russia are planning to meet in Azerbaijan later this month.
15. Valdai Discussion Club: Alexander Aksenyonok, COMMENT OF THE YEAR: THE MIDDLE EAST – SYRIA.
16. Atlantic Council: Alexander Vershbow, How to Bring Peace to the Donbas. (Yes, It’s Possible)
17. Russia Beyond: When diplomacy breaks down: Three major scandals involving Moscow’s foreign ministers.
18. https://halfreeman.wordpress.com: Between Two Worlds. The “Art” of an American Surviving in Small Town Russia: Hal Freeman, A RESPONSE TO JOSEPH BIDEN, JR. AND MICHAEL CARPENTER’S ARTICLE IN FOREIGN AFFAIRS MAGAZINE, PART I (excerpt)
19. https://halfreeman.wordpress.com: Between Two Worlds. The “Art” of an American Surviving in Small Town Russia: Hal Freeman, A RESPONSE TO JOSEPH BIDEN, JR. AND MICHAEL CARPENTER’S ARTICLE IN FOREIGN AFFAIRS MAGAZINE, PART 2.
20. Ron Paul Institute: Diana Johnstone, The Charge of the Invisible Army of Kremlin Trolls.
21. CBSNews.com: RT’s editor-in-chief on election meddling, being labeled Russian propaganda. “There’s nothing illegal that we did…nothing murky,” says Margarita Simonyan, who dismisses the U.S. intelligence report that says the Russian news network she heads meddled in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
22. Medium.com: Ben Nimmo, Question That: RT’s Military Mission. Assessing Russia Today’s role as an “information weapon”
23. Center for American Progress: THE MOSCOW PROJECT. THE INTEL COMMUNITY’S RUSSIA REPORT: A ONE YEAR LOOK BACK.
24. The Independent (UK): Russia ‘simulated full-scale war’ against Nato, says military commander. ‘The scale and extent of the entire exercise was far greater than officially stated’
25. Reuters: CIA’s Pompeo says Russia and others trying to undermine U.S. elections.
26. Antiwar.com: McMaster: Russia Meddling in Mexico’s Election.
27. Washington Times: Rowan Scarborough, Steele boasted to friends of his ‘professional’ work on Russia-Trump dossier.
28. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, CONFIRMED: Senators call for DoJ/FBI to investigate ‘Trump Dossier’ author Christopher Steele. Republican Senators say “significant inconsistencies” in ex British spy’s statements to authorities.
29. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Review of Donald Trump ‘Fire and Fury’ book. Wolff’s book says nothing of value but does show that Russiagate collusion claims are wholly without substance.
30. Counterpunch.org: Andrew Day, The Russia Thing. (excerpt)
31. Fort Russ: The Irish Crimean – Why the Kremlin loves Russiagate hysteria.
32. New York Times: ‘Fake News’: Wide Reach but Little Impact, Study Suggests.
33. Washington Post: Lucan Ahmad Way and Adam Casey, Russia has been meddling in foreign elections for decades. Has it made a difference?