RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-244 :: Friday, 29 December 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#244
Friday, 29 December 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, 10 Ways Life in America Is Better Than in Russia.
2. Russia Beyond: 10 new faces of modern Russia: Who will get the world talking next year?
3. Vesti.ru: “Who Are You Helping Get Rich?” Putin Has Harsh Words for Governors at State Council Meeting.
4. www.rt.com: Putin signs law establishing register of officials sacked over corruption.
5. TASS: TASS exclusive: Zhirinovsky’s first interview as presidential candidate.
6. Fort Russ: Denis Churilov, Understanding Russian Communists’ surprise candidate Grudinin vs. Putin.
7. RFE/RL: Brian Whitmore, The Five Big Russia Questions For 2018.
8. TASS: Kommersant: Senior state officials, corporate CEOs comment on prospects for 2018.
9. www.rt.com: AIDS denialists ‘clearly ahead’ as Russian govt struggles with HIV epidemic (VIDEO)
10. Wall Street Journal: Russia Bets on Shale Oil to Defend Its Spot as Top Producer of Crude. With many Soviet-era oil fields in decline, Russia will need new sources by the mid-2020s if it wants to maintain production.
11. www.rt.com: Igor Ogorodnev, 2017 could have been year Russia and US made up. Now they stand on brink of new Cold War.
12. Valdai Discussion Club: Vladimir Batyuk, INF TREATY COMPLIANCE: FACTS AND ALLEGATIONS.
13. TASS: Putin ratifies agreement on naval base in Syria’s Tartus.
14. Asia Times: Sami Moubayed, As guns fall silent, Russia to shape Syria’s political endgame. Watch early in 2018 for peace talks in Sochi, focusing initially on drafting a new constitution that will be rubber-stamped at UN-mandated talks in Geneva.
15. Davidson Journal (Davidson College): Roman Utkin, World Order: Russia’s past and present on the centennial of the Russian Revolution.
16. Washington Post: Vladimir Kara-Murza, Putin’s dark cult of the secret police.
17. Huffington Post (UK): Rabbil Sikdar, The Left’s Fear Of Criticising Russia Is Cowardice.
18. Daily Beast: Michael Weiss, The KGB Playbook for Infiltrating the Middle East.
19. The Unz Review: The Saker, 2018 – War or No War? [excerpt)
20. The Nation: James Carden, Russiagate Is Devolving Into an Effort to Stigmatize Dissent. An amicus brief to a lawsuit filed against Roger Stone and the Trump campaign raises troubling questions over the right to political speech.
21. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, The interview that exposes Russia-hating journalist Luke Harding (VIDEO). Real News host and presenter Aaron Maté eviscerates Luke Harding on Russiagate collusion claims.
22. Washington Post: Philip Bump, There’s still little evidence that Russia’s 2016 social media efforts did much of anything.
23. www.rt.com: Red faces, retractions & Russia-blaming: Fake news of 2017 (VIDEO)
24. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Pat Lang, Looks Like FBI or McCain May Have Paid for the 16th Report of the Steele Dossier.
25. Washington Times: Rowan Scarborough, Democrats’ case for Trump-Russia grand conspiracy crumbles with lack of evidence.
26. Gordon M. Hahn’s New Book “UKRAINE OVER THE EDGE” now available.
27. Russia on Global Affairs: Konstantin Khudolev, Russia and the U.S.: The Way Forward. Assessing Prospects for Bilateral Relations.
28. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s interview with Interfax news agency, December 28, 2017.