RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-199 :: Friday, 20 October 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#199
Friday, 20 October 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Valdai Discussion Club: LOOKING BEYOND THE HORIZON. VLADIMIR PUTIN MEETS WITH PARTICIPANTS OF THE VALDAI CLUB ANNUAL MEETING. DAY 4.
2. TASS: Media: Putin’s Valdai speech offers moderate tone of frankness, dialogue with the West.
3. Russia Matters: Putin at Valdai: Gloomy Prospects for U.S.-Russia Relations. (excerpt)
4. www.rt.com: ‘We gave you uranium, you repaid us by bombing Belgrade’: Putin slams US over nuclear treaties.
5. Interfax: Russia-U.S. substantive dialogue on START, INF Treaty is needed – Ryabkov.
6. Interfax: Resumption of strategic stability dialogue with U.S. initiated by Russia – Lavrov.
7. Kremlin.ru: Meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club.
8. Washington Post: David Filipov, Putin talks like Russia’s next president but stays silent on whether he’ll run. Putin encourages flexibility and openness in a changing world.
9. Intellinews.com: Russia’s grain harvest at 100-year high.
10. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Mikhail Rostovsky: Vladimir Putin’s Third Youth: How the President Will Depart From the Kremlin — Putin is 65: Attempt at a Psychological Portrait on His Birthday.
11. The Guardian (UK): Mary Dejevsky, Russia without Putin? We should try to at least imagine the prospect. Former TV star Ksenia Sobchak has thrown her hat into next year’s presidential election. But even those who dislike Putin must concede he is a known quantity.
12. Vedomosti: Mariya Zheleznova: Ne Cherchez Pas La Femme. Why Sex of Rival Is Unimportant for Putin-the-Candidate.
13. www.rt.com: Top senator expects US will exert ‘unprecedented pressure’ to influence Russian presidential polls.
14. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, A Russian Take on ‘The Americans’ Scares Moscow Liberals. The political conversation in Putin’s Russia increasingly revolves around cinematic versions of reality.
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-10-20/a-russian-take-on-the-americans-scares-moscow-liberals15. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Moscow gets a much needed facelift. But is it worth the cost? Russia’s capital is finally seeing the fruits of its 3-year, $2 billion beautification campaign – and the results are impressive. But critics still abound, arguing that the public was un derconsulted and the project overpriced.
16. Meduza: Russian health officials want an all-out war against smoking in public (and other places).
17. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Chinovnik Tales.
18. Russia Beyond: ‘How can you blame a man for sexual harassment?’ Russians react to the Harvey Weinstein scandal.
19. www.rt.com: Crude far from dead says Rosneft head.
20. Oilprice.com: Russia Goes All In On Arctic Oil Development.
21. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, OPEC hints at more production cuts as Russia deepens ties in Middle East.
22. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 19 OCTOBER 2017.
RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 19 OCTOBER 2017
23. The Unz Review: The Saker, Re-Visiting Russian Counter-Propaganda Methods. (excerpt)
24. Washington Post: Colby Itkowitz, Russian Americans divided over Trump, fear another Cold War.
25. Redstate.com: Apparently Everybody Has Ties To Russia.
26. Washington Times: Putin’s rage triggered by Obama’s moves. (excerpt) (re Michael McFaul)
27. Wall Street Journal: Dorothy Rabinowitz, ‘Putin’s Revenge’ Review: He Wanted to Make Russia Great Again. A two-part ‘Frontline’ documentary traces Putin’s rise and his interference in the American election.
28. Wall Street Journal: Kimberley A. Strassel, The Fusion Collusion. Democrats are trying to protect the firm’s secrets-so the GOP should keep digging.
29. New York Times: Joshua Rubenstein, The Roots of Revolution. Four new books explore the philosophical and political sources of the Russian Revolution, its early influences and how it influenced other movements.