RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2016-217 :: Monday, 21 November 2016
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2016-#217
Monday, 21 November 2016
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. BBC Monitoring: Putin says he was baptised in secret by patriarch’s father.
2. Russia Beyond the Headlines/Gazeta.ru: Pitfalls as well as profit: Why Trump rule will also be a risk for Russia. Russia has gleefully welcomed Donald Trump’s victory in the U.S. presidential election, without having an inkling of his plans for the future. Political analyst Fyodor Lukyanov explains what surprises the new U.S. president may have in store for Moscow.
3. TASS: Russian expert foresees Trump taking balanced approach to fulfilling campaign promises. (Valery Garbuzov)
4. Donbas News (Kyiv): WHAT TRUMP WILL OFFER PUTIN TO SOLVE THE UKRAINIAN QUESTION? (interview with Alexey Arbatov)
5. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s answers to media questions on the sidelines of the APEC Ministerial Meeting, Lima, November 17, 2016. [re Russia-US relations]
6. www.rt.com: Putin talks Trump, Brexit, TTIP at APEC briefing in Lima.
7. TASS: Putin thanks Obama for years of joint work, invites him to visit Russia.
8. Kremlin.ru: Replies to media questions following APEC Economic Leaders’ Meeting.
9. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Russia’s Watcom shopping index back at 2015 levels as consumption recovers.
10. Bear Market Brief: Peripheral Reform: On Russia’s Approach to Adjustment.
11. Moscow Times: Alexandra Prokopenko, How the Russian Economy Hit Rock Bottom.
12. www.rt.com: IMF’s Lagarde sees Russian economy heading toward stable growth.
13. Bear Market Brief: Golodets Says Government Discussing Progressive Taxation.
14. Bloomberg: Putin Optimistic About OPEC Deal, Russia Is Ready to Freeze.
15. TASS: Russia’s economic line after minister’s dismissal to remain unchanged – view. (Andrei Kostin)
16. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Russian business leader questions minister’s bribery allegation. (Interview with Alexander Shokhin)
17. Paul Goble: Kudrin’s 13 Points about What Russia Must Do to Overcome Its Backwardness.
18. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Russians rediscover their Jewish identity. After decades of Jewish emigration from Russia, today a new generation of young Russians is learning about their past with the help of a number of cultural organizations.
19. Russia Beyond the Headlines/Gazeta.ru: Kremlin turns to Jewish diaspora in bid to build ties with Donald Trump. Seeking contacts with U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, the Russian leadership has turned to its connections in Jewish business circles, Gazeta.ru has learned. Despite accusations of xenophobia, Trump maintains good relations with the Jewish community and intends to involve his son-in-law Jared Kushner in his administration.
20. Moscow Times: Russian Communications Expert Says Kremlin Is Hacker-Proof.
21. Moon of Alabama: Speculation: Trump Promotes NSA Boss Rogers To DNI Because He Leaked The Clinton Emails.
22. Alaska Dispatch News: David Ramseur, Alaska has lessons for Trump in working with Russia.
23. Financial Times: Neil Buckley, Putin’s delight at Trump win may soon wither. Russia support for US president-elect’s foreign policy is likely to become strained.
24. Washington Post: Josh Rogin, Congress may spoil Trump’s Russian reset.
25. TASS: NATO needs external enemy to make its members ‘fall into line’ – Putin.
26. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Here’s why reports of intentional hospital bombings in Syria are false. Allegations in Western media of intentional hospital bombings by Syria and Russia remain uncorroborated by actual reporters on the ground.
27. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov, How Much Does Great Powers’ Military Intervention in the Middle East Cost?
28. Russian International Affairs Council: Vasily Kuznetsov, Donald Trump Will Create a “Window Of Opportunity” In the Middle East.
29. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Nikolay Murashkin, Will the Russia-Japan “tug-of-peace” yield any results? The upcoming Russia-Japan summit might mark the beginning of an actual compromise on the Southern Kuril Island territorial dispute, but this can only be the first of many steps, writes a Russian Japan expert.
30. Deutsche Welle: Despite error, world chess champion Carlsen holds on for another draw. The seventh match at the World Chess Championship ended in a draw – just like all of the previous matches. Challenger Sergey Karjakin was unable to capitalize on a mistake by the champion, Magnus Carlsen.
31. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, A DIRE WARNING. (re Tsarist Russia)
32. Intellinews.com: Graham Stack, How President Poroshenko betrayed Ukraine’s Euromaidan dream.
33. www.rt.com: Ukraine marks ‘Dignity & Freedom Day’ as Euromaidan dream falters.
34. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Maidan massacre trial.
35. www.rt.com: Oliver Stone’s film on Ukraine’s Maidan coup to be aired in Russia.
36. AFP: Obama wants Ukraine deal ‘before term is up’
37. Tampa Bay Times (Florida): Ukraine turns to Tampa group for help setting up new commando HQ.