[check back for updates including active links]
Johnson’s Russia List :: 2013-#62 :: 4 April 2013
JRL homepage: www.russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: www.facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: www.twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: http://russialist.org/funding.php
1. Interfax: More Russians interested in politics – public opinion poll.
2. ITAR-TASS: RUSSIAN PRESS REVIEW. Russia needs new social contract, believe liberal experts.
3. Paul Goble: Window on Eurasia: Life Expectancy in Russia Declines as Mini-‘Baby Boom’ Ends, Rosstat Says.
4. Forbes.com: Mark Adomanis, Russian Life Expectancy Fell In 2012.
5. Interfax: Russia determined to build real democracy – parliament speaker. (Sergei Naryshkin)
6. Kennan Institute meeting summary: Russian Politics: The Paradox of a Weak State. (Marie Mendras)
7. PONARS Eurasia: Andrey Makarychev, Russia’s Liberals in a “Battle for Reality”
8. BBC Monitoring: Russian pundit notes communication failure between president, PM. (Nezavisimaya Gazeta’s Konstantin Remchukov)
9. Moscow Times/BBC Monitoring: What the Papers Say, Apr. 4, 2013.
10. www.russiatoday.com: Putin, govt at odds over officials’ web presence - report.
11. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, ‘Close your foreign accounts or be fired,’ Putin tells Russian officials.
12. ITAR-TASS: Kudrin against ban on foreign bank accounts for officials.
13. Vedomosti editorial: Executive Check on Officials’ Assets Leaves Room for ‘Political’ Dismissals.
14. Interfax: Russians expect anti-corruption measures of authorities to be effective – poll.
15. BBC Monitoring: Russian state TV talk show discusses anti-corruption campaign, Cyprus.
16. Institute of Modern Russia: Donald Jensen, Sergei Ivanov Returns to Center Stage.
17. Moscow Times: Court Sets Date for Navalny Embezzlement Case.
18. Interfax: Russian poll shows prominent opposition activist gaining recognition. (Navalny)
19. Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Russian Liberal Opposition Plans to Unite for Moscow Poll.
20. Moscow Times: Golos Under Scrutiny by Prosecutors.
21. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Ombudsman Interviewed on Changes in Human Rights Situation in 2012. (Vladimir Lukin)
22. St. Petersburg Times: Demonstrators Flout New Law.
23. Transitions Online: Galina Stolyarova, Russia’s Morality Police Pull up the Drawbridge. Recent attempts to censor the arts have an unmistakably anti-Western tinge.
24. Moscow Times: Konstantin Sonin, Why It Pays for a Daily to Be Anti-Putin.
25. PONARS Eurasia: Ivan Kurilla.Andrey Makarychev and Boris Lanin, Russia’s Ivory Tower is on Shuddering Ground. (re higher education)
26. Interfax: Russian PM urges ‘spending optimization’ to meet welfare pledges.
27. RIA Novosti: Only Harsh Medicine Can Spur Russia’s Economy - Kudrin.
28. Interfax: Church official recommends elite to bring their funds back to Russia.
29. ITAR-TASS: Half of Russians are employed in shadow economy.
30. New York Times: Moscow Tries to Reinvent Itself as Financial Hub.
31. Moscow Times: Minister Says Tender Bill to Eliminate Kickbacks.
32. Interfax: Russian govt will not influence Central Bank independence in order to speed up econ growth.
33. Moscow Times: Alexander Zheleznyak, How Banks Can Increase Equal Opportunity.
34. St. Petersburg Times: Organizational Culture, Russian Style.
35. Moscow Times: Sergei Karaganov, Friendship With China for a Few More Centuries.
36. RIA Novosti: Putin, Obama to Meet in June – Kremlin.
37. ITAR-TASS: Russian scholar calls for putting relations with US on economic basis. (Sergei Rogov)
38. AP: Report calls for end to ‘Cold War autopilot’ plan.
39. BBC Monitoring: Russian TV gives grim details of another US adoption row, probe in progress.
40. ITAR-TASS: RUSSIAN PRESS REVIEW. Russia ranks second in world arms export.
41. Interfax: Putin rules out ‘ideological considerations’ in military cooperation loans.
42. Paul Goble: Window on Eurasia: Moscow Must Prepare for Syria-Type War in the North Caucasus, Former MVD Officer Says.
43. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Fedor Lukyanov Contends ‘Socializing’ Pyongyand Is Way To Resolve Korea Crisis.