JRL E-Mail Newsletter Table of Contents :: Johnson’s Russia List 2013-#80 – 29 April 2013
Johnson’s Russia List :: 2013-#80 :: 29 April 2013
A project of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George
Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs: www.ieres.org
JRL homepage: www.russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: www.facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: www.twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: http://russialist.org/funding.php
1. ITAR-TASS: 77% of Russians say they are happy.
2. Moscow Times: Russians to Skip May Day Rallies Even as Protest Mood Grows.
3. BBC Monitoring: Liberal radio editor explains why he asked Putin about Stalin during phone-in. (Aleksey Venediktov)
4. ITAR-TASS: RUSSIAN PRESS REVIEW. Russia is heading for recession, experts believe.
5. Forbes.com: Mark Adomanis, Economically, Russia Is Roughly Where the United States Was In The 1950’s.
6. Moscow Times/BBC Monitoring: What the Papers Say, Apr. 29, 2013.
7. RIA Novosti: Medvedev’s Cabinet Carried Out 73% of Putin’s Tasks.
8. Bloomberg: Putin Purse Tightening Hobbles Medvedev in Race to Deadline.
9. Izvestia: Experts Disagree on Whether Putin Defended Government During Live Phone-In Show.
10. Izvestia: Putin’s Phone-in Show Seen Demonstrating His New Image As A Centrist. (Boris Mezhuyev)
11. Washington Post: Russia cracks down on U.S.-linked NGOs.
12. Moscow Times: Victor Davidoff, Kremlin’s ‘Political’ NGOs.
13. Vedomosti: Campaign Against ‘Foreign Agents’ Seen Increasingly Resembling Purge.
14. Interfax: Prosecutor General Chaika: Civil society’s interference in justice system’s work is unacceptable.
15. Paul Goble: Window on Eurasia: Navalny Again Calls for an End to Russian Federalism.
16. Moscow Times: Vladimir Frolov, What Putin Shares With A Middle East Autocrat.
17. Arch Getty: Putin and Russian History.
18. Moscow Times: After Dress Rehearsal, Sochi Declared Ready for Olympics.
19. Paul Goble: Window on Eurasia: Boston Bombers Reflect Specific Experiences of Some North Caucasians in Soviet and Post-Soviet Times, Moscow Analyst Says. (Konstantin Kazenin)
20. Boston Globe: Congress is briefed on radical Islamists in Northern Caucasus.
21. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Mark Galeotti, Boston’s sobering lessons for Russia and the U.S.
22. Washington Post: Jackson Diehl, Putin’s counterterrorism ‘help’ is more of a hindrance.
23. RIA Novosti: Fyodor Lukyanov, The Fading Line Between Domestic and External Threats.
24. Interfax: Russians see CIS, China as Russia’s chief foreign-policy partners – poll.
25. Valdai Discussion Club: Yevgeny Primakov, Perception of Russia in the World.
26. New York Times: Russians Go on TV to Say Sanctions Won’t Matter.
27. RFE/RL: Georgia’s Changing Russia Policy.
28. Kremlin.ru: Direct Line with Vladimir Putin. (transcript continued)
29. Kremlin.ru: Answers to journalists’ questions following Direct Line.