October 29. 1999
This Date's Issues: 3593  3594

1. AP: Luzhkov, Primakov Accuse Yeltsin.
2. Interfax: Putin--Russian Economy Not To Remain Transitional.
3. Moscow Times: Andrei Zolotov Jr., Papers Say Kremlin Made Budget Deal.
4. The Independent (UK): Patrick Cockburn, Starving Chechens scramble to flee homeland.
5. Jerry Hough: Response.
6. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Armenia's troubled present.
7. NCEEER reports.
8. Dale Herspring: Re: 3592-Stowell/Hough,Richmond/Hough.
9. Ken Duckworth: Visas.
10. AP: Judith Ingram, Former U.S.S.R. United by Violence.
11. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Interview with U.S. Ambassador James Collins.
12. AP: Russians Search American's Apt.(Josh Handler)]

Luzhkov, Primakov Accuse Yeltsin
October 28, 1999
By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV

MOSCOW (AP) - A political group accused President Boris Yeltsin's office on
Thursday of meddling in the campaign for parliament as part of a bid to block
the opposition.

``The presidential office is openly interfering in the parliamentary election
campaign in violation of law and democratic norms,'' Moscow Mayor Yuri
Luzhkov and former Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov said in an open letter to
Yeltsin, which was carried by the Interfax news agency.

Luzhkov, Primakov and St. Petersburg governor Vladimir Yakovlev, who also
signed the appeal, lead the Fatherland-All Russian bloc, which hopes to make
a strong showing in Dec. 19 parliamentary elections.

That would strengthen the position of Luzhkov and Primakov if either decides
to run for president next year. Both are considered top prospective
candidates, but neither has yet expressed a clear intention to run.

A Yeltsin aide said the president supports free elections.

``It's necessary to do everything so that the elections go correctly and
peacefully,'' said Igor Shabdurasulov, a first deputy chief of Yeltsin's
administration.

In remarks carried by the Interfax news agency, he said the letter's authors
were ``nervous'' about their own electoral chances.

Both Luzhkov and Primakov were once staunch allies of Yeltsin, but they have
become increasingly bitter foes in recent months.

In their letter, the party leaders urged Yeltsin to reshuffle his senior
aides.

``The state has fallen hostage to the interests of the presidential
administration and a small group of insiders, who have effectively taken
leadership in the country,'' they said. ``We are calling on you to show your
will and end your political isolation.''

Shabdurasulov said Yeltsin will make up his own mind on personnel issues and
did not address the accusation of special interests in the administration.

Yeltsin's opponents have accused the Kremlin of circulating compromising
material about them and even recruiting the security services to help mar
their reputations.

Putin--Russian Economy Not To Remain Transitional

KHABAROVSK. Oct 27 (Interfax) - Russian economy
should not stay transitional "eternally," and "we must think how economic
and political reforms can affect Russia's future outlook," Russian Prime
Minister Vladimir Putin said at a session of the inter-regional Far East
and Baikal Region association in Khabarovsk on Wednesday.

Putin said that "the market is not only U.S., Japan, and European
Community countries," but also "Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, and many other
states not included in the number of the economically advanced countries."
Putin believes that Russia should not "be satisfied with a secondary
position" in the world. However, "to be honest, so far, we are moving in
this direction," the Prime Minister said.

He said that industrialized countries consume two-thirds of the world's
resources today.

UN statistics show that about 500 transnational corporations control
two-thirds of world production. Of Russia's enterprises, only Gazprom can
claim transnational status, Putin said.

The leaders on the global capital market that has shaped over the last
20-30 years are U.S. investment funds and banks: "Merryl Lynch, Goldman
Sax, Morgan Stanley," according to the prime minister. "Neither European
nor Asian financial giants can face them as equals," the prime minister
said. The assets of all Russia's banks and financial companies combined,
he said, are "less than the assets of any financial institution on the
list of 100 major ones."

"We are actually squeezed out of the world's science-intensive
production markets, excluding the market of arms and military hardware.
In some areas, we lag very much behind, in some most likely forever,"
Putin said.

However, the situation is not "hopeless," Putin said. The government feels
that the potential of Russia's military industrial complex remains very
high, and "in many ways, the country is maintaining its quite competitive
positions intact."

Putin spoke of his conviction that, "simultaneously with the solution of
pressing tasks, " the country "should immediately begin drafting a
long-term national economic and social development strategy."

"It is necessary to stop the process of our lagging behind the world's
economically advanced countries, and find our way so that Russia will be
able to assume a worthy position among the industrialized nations in the
21st century," the prime minister said. BBCCMM [Description

Moscow Times
October 29, 1999
Papers Say Kremlin Made Budget Deal
By Andrei Zolotov Jr.
Staff Writer

When the Communist-led State Duma gave preliminary approval to the
government's budget this week, several newspapers speculated that the leftist
deputies had made a deal with the Kremlin.

In exchange for their votes on the budget, the theory went, the Kremlin
promised them support in the upcoming parliamentary campaign.

With the Fatherland-All Russia movement representing a major threat to the
Kremlin's interests, pumping up the Communists and their Agrarian allies
would make sense for President Boris Yeltsin's entourage, analysts said
Thursday. But any direct bribery would seem unlikely, they said.

Several Russian newspapers reported earlier this week that Deputy Prime
Minister Viktor Khristenko had a secret meeting with Agrarian leader Nikolai
Kharitonov on Saturday and offered him support in the elections, including
financial "aid" to deputies trying to hold onto their seats in the lower
house, in exchange for their vote on the budget. The Kremlin administration
and the Agrarian faction denied the reports.

On Monday, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin met with Communist leader Gennady
Zyuganov and other leaders of his Duma faction. Tuesday, the budget was
approved.

The newspaper Kommersant reported Wednesday that earlier in October, Kremlin
officials got together to discuss election tactics. They decided to make
peace with the Communists and with Yabloko in an effort to take votes away
from the Fatherland-All Russia bloc of former Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov
and Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov, the report said. The Kremlin would provide the
parties access to the mass media it controls or influences, which would, in
turn, refrain from attacking them, said Kommersant, which is owned by
Kremlin-connected tycoon Boris Berezovsky.

The Communists and Agrarians denied the allegations. "It is all lies and
slander," Agrarian Party spokesman Pavel Yemelin said Thursday.

Alexei Podberyozkin, a left-wing Duma deputy who used to be one of Zyuganov's
close advisers but has since split with the Communists, said Thursday that
reaching a truce with the Kremlin or accepting Kremlin bribes was
"impossible."But he said the presidential administration and the Communist
leadership have "normal political relations."

"They [contacts between the Kremlin and Communists] can be of various kinds,
they can be confidential, but I do not think you can speak of bribery,"
Podberyozkin said.

Vladimir Pribylovsky, president of the Panorama research center, said that
over the past years, the Duma's left has always provided enough votes for the
budget to pass. "There is always bargaining, and Communists always agree," he
said.

Pribylovsky agreed it would make sense for President Boris Yeltsin's team to
give some support to, or at least not hinder, Communists in the Duma
elections. If the Communists go into the 2000 presidential elections from a
position of strength, that would allow the Kremlin to re-create the 1996
situation, in which Zyuganov was the main threat. Then, the Kremlin was able
to rally votes by warning of a Communist revanche.

The Independent (UK)
Starving Chechens scramble to flee homeland
By Patrick Cockburn on the Chechen border

Russian tanks and armoured personnel vehicles roared across the
Ingush-Chechen border yesterday bringing more fear and despair to the
refugees trudging in long columns in the opposite direction from the lethal
battles taking place inside the breakaway Chechen republic.

Vakha Sultan a Chechen farmer on the move told me: "Our children cry when
they hear the explosions. We are going crazy from it."

Colonel Valery Kuksa, the Minister for Emergency Situations in the republic
of Ingushetia, is already looking after between 140,000 and 170,000 refugees.
"I expect there are another 100,000 waiting to cross", he said yesterday.

The Russian commander of the main border crossing point had told Colonel
Kuksa he was under orders to open the border early today. Some 6,000 Chechens
are already packed into an old stationary train a mile from the frontier
between Ingushetia and Chechnya. It shakes at night from the roar of Russian
artillery.

But despite Colonel Kuksa's efforts, the refugees are hungry and anxious.
Vakha Kagirov, a bus driver from Grozny, the Chechen capital, said: "They
give us food you would not feed to dogs."

An aid worker confirmed that the refugees were living on canned meat, mostly
long past its expiry date. He said: "The main problems are that there is not
enough food and the cold. We need to keep these people warm or they will not
survive."

If Russian troops open the Chechen border today, as promised, another 100,000
refugees may flood out of the country to escape the bombing. That would mean
one-quarter of the population of Chechnya would have fled since the Russian
army began to advance a month ago.

The refugees are deeply conscious that their plight receives nothing like the
international attention given to those from Kosovo or East Timor. Mr Sultan
is quietly furious. He asked: "When 45 Albanians were killed in Kosovo you
journalists made a great fuss, so why don't you report it when thousands of
Chechens are dying?"

The answer is simple enough. The Albanians did not kidnap or kill aid workers
and journalists. In the three years of Chechnya's de facto independence,
Chechen bandits and warlords did both. Even travelling to the border with
Chechnya, the Ingush government provides us with heavily armed guards. Mr
Sultan accepts the explanation, but hints that the Russians themselves may
have had a hand in the kidnapping.

Russia may come to regret restarting this war, but for the moment its troops
are very much in control of the border. As we drove down a dirt track to the
train where the refugees are living, we passed a column of 10 armoured
personnel carriers from the Russian 58th Army, stationed in Ossetia to the
west. The soldiers looked relaxed and confident.

The refugees have a sophisticated view of Russian strategy and its grim
impact on their own lives. "I don't think the Russians will attack Grozny,"
said Mr Kagirov. "I think they will first surround it then they will bomb and
shell it, destroying all our homes as they did before."

The despair on the train is almost palpable. The refugees sense that this war
is different from the one the Chechens won three years ago. "How can you even
call it a war?" asked Mr Sultan. "There is no resistance. Even if a fighter
has a gun it is only a Kalashnikov rifle. What can a fighter do against
rockets, planes and missiles?"

For the moment, the Russian army is fighting the sort of war it wants to
fight. Its tanks and mechanised infantry are edging forward slowly, using
heavy artillery and air strikes. Colonel Kuksa, a former infantry commander
in the Soviet army, said: "The Russians are fighting a much smarter war than
three years ago. Then they sent in their infantry first. Now they use their
firepower."

The refugees believe Russia is not interested in distinguishing between
Islamic militants and ordinary Chechens. Zara Tsugayeva said: "They are
rounding up Chechens all over Russia. My two sons were arrested for
nothingand thrown into jail for 15 days. The Russians are forcing our
children to steal, rob and kill."