June 24, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3358 3359

1. Bruce Blair wins MacArthur "genius grant."
2. AFP: Russia swallows reforms pills, govt says new IMF cash is in sight.
3. Moscow Times: Andrei, SEASON OF DISCONTENT: What Russian Patient Needs:
Psychotherapy.

4. Loren Gerlach: Response to Ira Straus/3354.
5. Ira Straus: Re: Response of Loren Gerlach.
6. Greg Austin: Soviet Era Military Leaders Database.
7. Jet Stigter: Russian orphans.
8. The Washington Times: Janine R. Wedel, Baiting the Bear.
9. Moscow Times: ORT to Filter Election News Content.
10. Robert Devane: Re: Bjorn Kaupang/JRL3357/Russian law.
11. AP: Workers Want Russian McDonalds Union.
12. Andrew Miller: Crime and Punishment.
13. International Herald Tribune: William Pfaff, While Europe Dithers,
NATO Advances Eastward.]

Rights Advocate to Theoretical Physicist: This Year's 32 'Genius Grant'
Recipients

AP
June 23, 1999
Thirty-two people have been named to share $10 million in ''genius grants''
from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation in Chicago. The
foundation has been awarding grants to ''exceptionally talented and
promising individuals'' since 1981. Ranked in order of grant amount, the
1999 fellows are:

...Bruce Blair, 51, Washington; foreign policy analyst [at Brookings
Institution] specializing in ways to reduce nuclear risks; $350,000

Russia swallows reforms pills, govt says new IMF cash is in sight

MOSCOW, June 23 (AFP) - Russia's embattled government patted opposition
lawmakers on the back Wednesday for swallowing some bitter economic reform
pills that could see Moscow qualify for urgently sought cash from the West.

"It was a bumper day in the Duma," reported First Deputy Prime Minister
Viktor Khristenko with a smile.

"If we had had such cooperation earlier this month, all of the laws would
have been passed by now. As of today, the need to present a no-confidence
vote in the government has diminished considerably."

The State Duma lower house is mulling 30 reform bills that could convince
the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to disburse loans to Russia for the
first time since it froze payments after last summer's financial crash here.

But Russia's new government is in a race against time since the Duma is due
to break for the summer on Saturday and each measure must be voted on three
times.

The Duma has already irked Prime Minister Sergei Stepashin by voting down a
new gas (petrol) tax. The premier responded by threatening to force a
dissolution of parliament by holding a vote of confidence over the issue.

Stepashin has already bowed to howls of indignation from lawmakers facing
re-election in December by dropping plans to table in a new tax on vodka.

Deputies showed rare cooperation on Wednesday by approving on final reading
several changes to the tax code that would bolster the inland revenue service.

They also approved a new tax on luxury cars and a separate law covering the
restructuring of Russia's vulnerable banking sector, thrown into chaos by
last August's financial crisis, was given a second reading.

The Duma also allowed the Central Bank to issue its own bonds until the end
of the year and purchase precious metals directly from producers in order
to boost its reserves.

In contrast last summer the Duma stonewalled on a similar reform package.
The liberal government of Sergei Kiriyenko toppled two months later after
Russia defaulted on its internal debt and effectively devalued the ruble.

Stepashin said Wednesday that Russia has come a long way since those gloomy
days. "The recovery of the Russian economy has happened quicker than we
expected," said the premier, confirmed to his post in May.

He pointed out that monthly inflation has been tempered to the low single
digits while industrial production grew 1.5 percent over the past year.

The ruble has also corrected its nosedive. The once floundering Russian
unit has traded at 24.23 against the dollar for five consecutive days.

All this has prompted Russian ministers to voice confidence that they may
see new IMF funding by next month.

"If all goes well we can expect IMF funds by the end of July," Khristenko
said.

The IMF cash would ease Russia's enormous foreign debt burden, open the way
for extra aid for the World Bank and Japan, and help Moscow reschedule its
liabilities with both commercial and sovereign creditors.

Investors have also been bolstered by ministers' confident noises by making
Russia's stock market the best performer in the world this year.

The main RTS index has shot up more than 30 percent this month alone and
closed at 125.50 on Wednesday.

Foreign market players say Russia is sure to receive new IMF cash if only
because Fund directors are too embarrassed to admit that their program here
was a failure.

"The IMF is willing to turn a very blind eye towards any misdeeds of the
economy in its efforts to disburse funding," the MFK Renaissance bank said
in a research note.

"Mr. Stepashin and company will have to work very hard to scupper the IMF
program and prevent the disbursal of funding some time over the summer."

Moscow Times
June 24, 1999
SEASON OF DISCONTENT: What Russian Patient Needs: Psychotherapy
By Andrei Piontkovsky

Our political elite chronically suffers from a split consciousness, loss
of self-identification and manic-depressive syndrome. All of these sad
symptoms were once again clinically demonstrated on the eve of, and during,
the G-8 summit.

The eighth great member of this prestigious club stubbornly tried to
pretend to be Gabon and the United States simultaneously. "How are we
better than Central African countries?" our financiers basically asked,
entreating that the Soviet-era debt be written off. "How are we worse than
the United States or Germany," our diplomats and military officials asked
indignantly, demanding a separate sector for Russian troops.

The result was that neither demand was met. "Not to pay back debts is not
good for a large nation," the German chancellor explained to the Russian
premier over breakfast. "Our country is big, only there is no order," the
premier almost sadly objected, but stopped, remembering he had already
quoted that somewhere else - either at the Pushkin jubilee or in his thesis
on the struggle of the Leningrad party organization to provide firemen
with a communist education.

The newly minted Colonel-General A. Zavarsin-Prishtinsky, as one
well-known liberal newspaper respectfully called him (while a "patriotic"
newspaper published an ode glorifying his military genius) continues to
carry out his menial tasks at the Pristina airfield. It is the logical
result when the political elite is ruled in a severe crisis neither by
principles, national interests or even cynical calculation, but exclusively
by the abnormal complexes of phantom grandeur.

The political elite's reaction to the events in Kosovo showed that it is
interested neither in the Serbs nor the Albanians, but exclusively in its
own elite status in world politics. "We were not warned, no one consulted
with us, the decision was made without us!" This was the cry of Russian
politicians from Anpilov to Chubais. Moscow was outraged by NATO's bombing
not because people died, but because that outrage gave it additional status
points for opposing NATO. If it was interested in people, then it could
not have lied so long and stupidly about how no ethnic cleansing was
taking place in Kosovo, about Serbian atrocities being NATO propaganda.

What kept us from condemning both the NATO bombing and the bestial
behavior of the Serbian troops in Kosovo from the first days of the
conflict? We would have stopped the carnage much earlier, because our
pressure on the Western countries would have been much more convincing and
enjoyed the support of public opinion there, and because such a position
would have robbed the Milosevic regime's illusion of having a Russian
political "roof." We would have ended up at the center of the peacekeeping
process as its moral leader, radically raising our standing in the European
security system.

We took a different route. Moscow first took its anti-Western hysteria to
the extreme, and then provided serious services to the West when NATO found
itself in a difficult situation, and at the end again began to raise a
scandal over status issues. In Cologne, the West spoke to us politely and
tenderly, endlessly lavishing compliments, but at the same time firmly, the
way a professional psychotherapist is supposed to talk to an almost
hopeless patient.