March 13, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3087 3088

1. Moscow Times editorial: Ominous Signs from Yeltsin's Bed.
2. Reuters: Russia Says Bigger NATO Is Dangerous Mistake.
3. Itar-Tass: Start-2 Treaty Must Be Ratified Promptly-Scientist.
(Sergei Rogov).

4. John Danzer: United States of Russia. (Re: Pain on Nationalism).
5. Geoff Ryan: Re The need for morality/Helleman.
6. Victor Chudowsky: Krasnow in JRL 3083.
7. Ron Laurenzo: re: Reinis/3086. (Post-WWII German example).
8. Gunars Reinis: Reforming Russia (response to Laurenzo).
9. The Guardian: Jilted artists seek solace in ugliness. Starved of
cash and shunned by the West, many in Russia's creative community have
gone to brutal extremes to portray post-Soviet life. John O'Mahoney
reports from Moscow on a flickering of hope.

10. The Guardian: 'This is a time of animal passion.'
11. The Economist: Four versions of Russia's future. A puzzling progress.
Russia's prime minister could take his country in any one of four
directions.

12. RFE/RL: Floriana Fossato, Russia: Food Aid To Be Closely Monitored.]

Moscow Times
March 13, 1999
EDITORIAL: Ominous Signs From Yeltsin's Bed

It is a telling indication of President Boris Yeltsin's political character
that, sick as he obviously is, he finds no better activity while confined to
the hospital than political intrigue - his first and most passionate love, as
his former staff members have put it.

By inviting Yabloko party leader Grigory Yavlinsky and Federation Council
chairman Yegor Stroyev to sit down for a chat, Yeltsin sends the clearest
signal yet that Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov has gotten under his skin by
eclipsing the president as the central figure in Russian politics.

After all, Yavlinsky and Stroyev figured on the list of potential prime
ministerial candidates passed over in favor of Primakov. Entertaining them in
his hospital suite is a clear sign that Yeltsin is mulling a change in the
government and is contemplating a counteroffensive to restore, if only
partially, his fallen fortunes.

Yet Yeltsin's options are more limited than they were last year when he
blithely fired two prime ministers. Then, he was master of the game. Now, he
is fighting to avoid political oblivion and to salvage the prestige he lost in
the Aug. 17 government-debt default and ruble devaluation.

If he fires Primakov now, he throws Russia into another political crisis. The
exit from that crisis would be not at all clear, and might lead through
extraconstitutional territory that the country managed to avoid in September
when Yeltsin turned to Primakov as a prime minister most of the warring
factions could consent to.

Now he's hinting he might start that turmoil all over again. He certainly
retains the legal power, to do it simply by firing Primakov. He might make a
subtler move by dumping Communist First Deputy Prime Minister Yury Maslyukov,
and thus creating a major headache for Primakov in preserving peace with the
Communist-led State Duma.

At some point, however, those in charge of Russia's destiny need to devote at
least some fraction of their time, effort and political capital to fixing the
country's devastating problems. Let Yeltsin change the Cabinet, or even the
prime minister as he pleases, or let him not change them. But perhaps it's not
too much to hope there could be some solid public-policy purpose behind his
next move - a chance to get serious on real economic reform, even
incrementally, and on a real fight against crime rather than the phony hunts
for scapegoats announced every few months.

Changing governments just so Yeltsin can feel like master of the universe,
without imposing a sense of direction, would be a useless exercise in cynical
power politics.

Russia Says Bigger NATO Is Dangerous Mistake
March 12, 1999
By Martin Nesirky

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia grudgingly bowed to the inevitable Friday but
said the enlargement of NATO to include Hungary, Poland and the Czech
Republic was a dangerous mistake that could divide Europe anew.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement marking Friday's formal
accession of the ex-Soviet satellites to the North Atlantic Treaty
Organization that Moscow remained opposed to the move and wanted a new
security model for the continent.

``The enlargement of the North Atlantic alliance will not promote a
strengthening of trust and stability in international relations,'' it said.
``On the contrary, it could lead to the appearance of new dividing lines.''

President Boris Yeltsin's spokesman said the Kremlin chief also remained
unhappy about NATO's move.

The Defense Ministry wheeled out its outspoken head of international
relations to underscore Moscow's displeasure.

``We believe the enlargement of NATO is a dangerous and historic mistake
which could have serious consequences,'' Colonel-General Leonid Ivashov
told a news conference.

``European history convincingly shows that as soon as the balance of forces
are upset on the continent, the result is instability in political
processes, conflicts and wars.''

Yet Ivashov mixed hawkish rhetoric with a pledge to continue cooperating
under the NATO-Russia Founding Act signed in 1997.

``Russia agreed to cooperate with NATO and is developing that
cooperation,'' he said. ``But it's a two-way street.''

Both Ivashov and the ministry called for a fresh approach to European
security as a way to counter NATO's focus on defense.

``Europe does not have a concept or strategy for building a security model
for the 21st century,'' Ivashov said. ``That's the tragedy of Europe.''

The Foreign Ministry said Russia was urging countries in the Organization
for Security and Cooperation in Europe to speed up work on a new security
charter for the next century, a long-term project that has been in the
works for several years.

Russia hoped the charter could be signed at an OSCE summit in Istanbul in
November, it said.

In the meantime, Russia would ensure it was able to respond militarily,
Ivashov said.

Asked if NATO was an enemy, he said no. But when asked whether Moscow
considered it an aggressor, he said: ``Let's see.''

``If military forces move up to our border in the name of peace, friendship
and stability, we will take a suitable step to meet that friendship and
stability,'' he said, with a wry grin.

Ivashov said NATO's military potential was increasing by about 15 percent
with the accession of three new members. Nonetheless, Russia was still
supplying spare parts for Soviet-era military kit and was even prepared to
modernize it, he said.

Russian newspapers Friday covered NATO in detail.

``Russia has essentially resigned itself to the fact of NATO expansion,''
said the daily Sevodnya. ``There's no other option.''

It said many Russian strategists were unable to shake off the Cold War
mentality and could not accept that NATO membership had more to do with
geography and culture than military plans.

Another daily, Nezavisimaya Gazeta, was less forgiving. ''The expansion of
NATO while Russia is embroiled in a major...crisis is a slap in the face at
the most inappropriate moment,'' it said.

********

Start-2 Treaty Must Be Ratified Promptly-Scientist.
Itar-Tass
March 11, 1999

MOSCOW -- Sergei Rogov, Director of the Institute for U.S. and Canadian
Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, in an interview published in
the Thursday edition of Krasnaya Zvezda newspaper, has statedthat it is
essential to ratify the START-2 Treaty as soon as possible.

The scientist said the Treaty "ensures a US strategic offensive nuclear
forces' reduction, synchronous with inevitable --for financial and
economic reasons -- cuts in Russia's strategic nuclear forces".

The START-2 Treaty, Rogov believes, "substantially reduces the U.S.
counterforce strike capability -- nuclear attack means capable of
hitting strategic targets".

Besides, Rogov said, the document "provides a very powerful lever of
political pressure on the U.S., should Washington suddently decide
unilaterally to withdraw from the 1982 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty".

"A refusal to ratify the START-2 Treaty undermines our country's
positions at the forthcoming difficult negotiations with the US. From
this point of view, one cannot agree to Finance Ministry attempts to
play a role, which is not characteristic of it, blocking the passage of
a law on the financing of strategic nuclear forces in the period ending
in the year 2010. Such an attitude only plays into the hands of those
(State) Duma forces that oppose ratification of the START-2 Treaty,"
Rogov emphasised.