August 20, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2316  2317

1. RIA Novosti: Hot line.
2. Reuters: Gorbachev slams Yeltsin over devaluation.
3. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, Why Call It Reform?
4. Leonid Bershidsky: Re 2314/Hough.
5. Ray Finch: rough best.
6. Michael Intriligator: NEW YORK TIMES Letter on Russian economy.
7. Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Natalya Konstantinova, CHUBAIS ADMITS THAT
RUSSIA IS ON BRINK OF POLITICAL CATASTROPHE.

8. Moscow Times: Andrei Piontkovsky, SEASON OF DISCONTENT: Crisis
Is Moral As Much As It Is Economic.

9. AFP: Prices Spiraling up in Moscow Shops.
10. Anne Williamson: "Sdyelka", Adil Rustomjee? [JRL #2300, August 6]
11. RFE/RL: Paul Goble, Russia: Analysis From Washington -- A Coup
That Shook The World.]

HOT PHONE LINE TO BE IN SERVICE WITH GOVERNMENT FROM TOMORROW
//MOSCOW, AUGUST 19, 1998 /RIA NOVOSTI/ --
##The hot phone line with the government where residents
can report unreasonable price boosting will be in service from
9:00 tomorrow.
According to the Department for governmental information,
the hot line will be in operation on working days from 9:00
through 20:00 Moscow time. Its numbers are 205-5459, 205-5322,
205-4382.

INTERVIEW-Gorbachev slams Yeltsin over devaluation
By Timothy Heritage

MOSCOW, Aug 19 (Reuters) - Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev urged
Russian President Boris Yeltsin on Wednesday to call early elections to
restore confidence in the country's leaders and help resolve a financial
crisis.

He told Reuters in an interview that this week's de facto devaluation of the
rouble would deal a colossal blow to the economy and major strikes were
possible if Yeltsin did not call presidential and parliamentary elections.

``The president must come up with an initiative to halt the destruction of the
economy, of this country. To do this, he must call elections in the autumn or
spring,'' Gorbachev said.

``If he did this now, it could be his last good deed for his people. But it is
hard to count on him doing this. I don't think he realises what the situation
is.''

He said the government and Yeltsin had lost the confidence of their people and
the final straw had been the president firmly ruling out a devaluation just
three days before the rouble was allowed to devalue.

``Didn't they know (there would be a devaluation)? If so, everyone knew but
them and they are just wasting their time and should quit quickly,'' Gorhachev
said. ``How can you trust them? How can you entrust the future of the state in
them?''

The next presidential election is due in 2000 and the next parliamentary poll
is due at the end of 1999.

Gorbachev, 67, has little influence in Russia despite his popularity abroad
for his role in ending the Cold War. His public feuding with Yeltsin goes back
more than a decade.

But he has experience of some of the problems Yeltsin and Prime Minister
Sergei Kiriyenko now face.

It was Gorbachev who launched the ``perestroika'' reforms and promised his
people a turnaround in the economy, something which never came during his
rule.

Those dreams were in effect ended by an attempted coup which was begun by
hardliners on this day in August 1991 and which Gorbachev said hit his reforms
``just when the light had appeared at the end of the tunnel.''

Yeltsin's promises of relative prosperity have also proved a distant dream for
all but a few Russians.

Gorbachev said Monday's decision to allow the rouble to fluctuate more than
previously, effectively letting it devalue, would affect ordinary people by
making imports more expensive and by reducing the real value of wages and
savings.

``It has been done at the people's expense,'' he said at the Gorbachev
Foundation think-tank which he set up after he fell from power and the Soviet
Union broke up in 1991.

``I think the most dangerous thing is the rise in prices. The other thing,
which is not being talked about, is that there is no indexation of savings or
wages.''

Predicting the collapse of many banks, he said: ``This is a colossal blow.''

He said protests, threatened by trade unions over the government's failure to
pay milions of workers for months, were likely in the autumn if Yeltsin did
not act now. Instead, he said, Yeltsin remained on holiday outside Moscow.

``That is simply not serious,'' Gorbachev said.

Gorbachev, who suffered a crushing defeat in the 1996 election, said he did
not plan to run for president again.

The Nation
September 1, 1998
Why Call It Reform?
By Stephen F. Cohen
Stephen F. Cohen is a professor of Russian studies and history at New
York University. His most recent book, Rethinking Russia, will be
published next year by Oxford.

As Russia’s economic collapse spirals out of control, rarely if ever has
American discourse about that country been so uncaringly and dangerously
in conflict with reality. With its endless ideological mantra of a
purported “transition from Communism to free-market capitalism,” almost
all US government, media and academic commentary on Russia’s current
troubles is premised on two profoundly wrong assumptions: that the
problem is essentially a “financial crisis” and that the remedy is
faster and more resolute application of the “reform” policies pursued by
President Boris Yeltsin since 1991.

Treating Russia’s agony as a case of the “Asian flu”—as merely a matter
of bolstering a faltering stock market, banking system and currency with
more budgetary austerity and tax collection, ruble devaluation and
Western financial bailouts—is like rearranging deck chairs on the
Titanic. Russia’s underlying problem is an unprecedented,
all-encompassing economic catastrophe—a peacetime economy that has been
in a process of relentless destruction for nearly seven years. GDP has
fallen by at least 50 percent and according to one report by as much as
83 percent, capital investment by 90 percent and, equally telling, meat
and dairy livestock herds by 75 percent. Except for energy, the country
now produces very little; most consumer goods, especially in large
cities, are imported.

So great is Russia’s economic and thus social catastrophe that we must
now speak of another unprecedented development: the literal
demodernization of a twentieth-century country. When the infrastructures
of production, technology, science, transportation, heating and sewage
disposal disintegrate; when tens of millions of people do not receive
earned salaries, some 75 percent of society lives below or barely above
the subsistence level and at least 15 million of them are actually
starving; when male life expectancy has plunged to 57 years,
malnutrition has become the norm among schoolchildren, once-eradicated
diseases are again becoming epidemics and basic welfare provisions are
disappearing; when even highly educated professionals must grow their
own food in order to survive and well over half the nation’s economic
transactions are barter—all this, and more, is indisputable evidence of
a tragic “transition” backward to a premodern era.

Even if economic growth were miraculously to resume tomorrow, Russia
would need decades to regain what it has lost in the nineties, and
nothing can retrieve the millions of lives already cut short by the
“transition.” Indeed, as a careful statistical study by Professor
Stephen Shenfield of Brown University shows, an even greater and
possibly inescapable economic and social disaster is rapidly
approaching.

Why call this “reform,” as does virtually every US commentator?
Certainly, very few Russians any longer do, except to curse Yeltsin and
his policies, especially those long and zealously promoted by the
Clinton Administration. Russian economists and politicians across the
spectrum are now desperately trying to formulate alternative economic
policies that might save their nation—ones more akin to Franklin
Roosevelt’s New Deal than to the “neoliberal” monetarist orthodoxies of
the State and Treasury departments, the IMF, World Bank and legions of
Western advisers, which have done so much to abet Russia’s calamity.
But when President Clinton goes to Moscow in early September, he will no
doubt tell Yeltsin publicly, as he often has done in the past and Vice
President Gore did when he visited in July, “Stay the course!” For many
Russians, it will mean that America welcomes what has happened to their
country and does not care about their ruined lives.