June 24, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2236 2237

VACATION: I and JRL will be on vacation next week. The last JRL
will be June 27. Plan to resume on or about July 5. I'll be near
Charlottesville, Virginia.
1. AP: Russia Presents Plan to IMF.
2. Reuters: Yeltsin speech on Russia anti-crisis programme.
3. Interfax: Yabloko Movement To Support Russian Government's Program.
4. Interfax: Noted Russian Economist: Govt Will Have To Devalue Ruble.
(Illarionov).

5. Jim Vail: Laura Belin's reponse to Helmer article.
6. John Varoli: Some Comments on Russia.
7. Christian Science Monitor: Judith Matloff, Old Roots Trip Russia's Farms.
Land is last bastion of deep Russian misgivings over property.

8. Journal of Commerce: Aaron Lukas, Trading with the bear.
9. Pravda: Leaders Cited After Petersburg Economic Forum.
10. Itar-Tass: Zyuganov: 'Revolutionary Rise Has Begun in Russia.'
11. John Tedstrom: RAND job.
12. Ken Duckworth: Re Williamson /Biological Weapons- JRL #2235.
13. RFE/RL: Potanin Moves Past Berezovsky on Forbes List.
14. AP: Mitchell Landsberg, Russian Show Glorifies Tax Police.]

********

Russia Presents Plan to IMF
By Maura Reynolds
June 24, 1998

MOSCOW (AP) -- Premier Sergei Kiriyenko submitted his new austerity plan to
the International Monetary Fund today in the hope it would earn Russia
enough new lending to finance an economic recovery.
The IMF's first deputy managing director, Stanley Fischer, told The
Associated Press that fund analysts will need several weeks to study the
plan.
``We have read the headlines, we've read the speeches, we got
descriptions of the measures,'' he said as he prepared to depart the
country. ``Precisely what they will amount to in terms of the budget we
will have to discuss.''
However, Fischer said that in the meantime he will recommend that the
fund release the latest, $670 million installment of an existing loan that
was held up last week to press Russia to meet the IMF's criteria.
Kiriyenko detailed his austerity plan to the Cabinet and parliament on
Tuesday. The measures are designed to do largely what the IMF has demanded
and Russia has resisted: cut government spending, boost tax collections,
and tighten control over customs and tax authorities.
Russia has been taking such measures already, but the IMF has said the
cuts did not go deep enough, and tax collections have failed to raise
government revenues enough. The international lender has insisted that the
country do more or it will not qualify for a new loan. Russia has said it
needed between $10 and $15 billion.
Fischer told the AP that in his view, Russia's chronic tax collection
problem is the biggest obstacle to a new loan. He said that the country's
biggest companies, especially oil companies, are the greatest tax evaders.
But Russia will have to do more than just crack down on large firms. It
will also have to force average Russians to become taxpayers.
The country has no tax-paying tradition, and officials have said that
fewer than 5 million of the country's 147 million residents filed income
tax forms last year.
``People, companies, should pay the taxes that the law says they should
pay,'' Fischer said. ``This is the habit in most countries.''

Kiriyenko has said the IMF loan is needed to replenish the Central
Bank's reserves, to back up Russian bonds and prevent a run on the national
currency, the ruble. The Kremlin fears that devaluation of the ruble could
lead to higher consumer prices and social unrest.
Russia's economy has been troubled since the beginning of the year, when
it began losing ground after posting its first growth of the post-Soviet
period last year. Stocks have collapsed to about half their value.
Kiriyenko's austerity measures were greeted with mixed reactions in the
Russian media. Many analysts accepted that austerity measures are needed,
but expressed reservations about the government's ability to carry them out
fairly and effectively.
Parts of the program -- big cuts in the government work force, a
revamped tax code -- are certain to run into strong resistance in the Duma,
the Communist-dominated lower house of parliament.
Kiriyenko has asked parliament to pass the necessary legislation to
implement the plan before it recesses on July 3 for more than two months.
But even pro-government deputies say the legislature was unlikely to act
with such dispatch.
********

Yeltsin speech on Russia anti-crisis programme

MOSCOW, June 23 (Reuters) - Following is the text of Russian President Boris
Yeltsin's speech at the opening of a joint government and parliament session
at which the government presented its anti-crisis proposals:

``Dear members of the government and parliament.

The joint meeting is caused by extraordinary circumstances. In many
countries
the world financial crisis has led to a serious reconsideration of the role
and place of the state in the modern-day economy.
It is also acute for Russia, which is carrying out a most difficult transfer
to a regulated market. Despite urgent government measures the situation in the
financial sphere is alarming.
Radical measures, measures adequate to the seriousness of the situation, are
required to bring back order to the economy.
The economic crisis has become so acute that there are social and political
dangers. Those who care for Russia -- not in words but in deeds -- have to
understand this.
The price of delays, fussing and fighting is too high today.
(Prime Minister) Sergei Vladilenovich Kiriyenko will present to you a
programme of economic and financial stabilisation.
It has two aims:
First of all to quell turmoil on financial markets, and second, in a longer
run, to create a strong economy protected from similar situations in the
future.
The measures written in the programme are not revolutionary.
We have been talking about their necessity for years. Actually they appeared
in every presidential address to the parliament.
But there is no actual change that the society would be able to feel.
Naturally, Russia has been seriously hit by the fever on world markets,
by the
financial crisis in southeast Asia and, of course, by a collapse of world oil
prices. As a result the budget lost tens of billions of roubles (billions of
dollars).
But a great deal of the fault lies with us. We have lost momentum in
reforming

the economy. The situation with payments of wages, pensions, welfare has
deteriorated again.
Not only the public sector workers are suffering, not only those working in
the defence industry. Those who are not paid from the budget are suffering as
well.
You know, I am not prone to over-dramatise the situation but acute
tensions in
the Russian society are all too clear.
Our economic policy requires serious corrections.
The proposed programme is not just designed to introduce elementary
financial
order but also to change the economic situation in Russia radically.
Enough of living beyond one's means, when one-third of budget revenues are
dumped to cover domestic and foreign debts. Enough of babbling about the need
to revitalise domestic industry.
Yes, Russian goods must become the masters on the Russian market. But in
fact
the support of domestic producers is often substituted by lobbying of
ineffective production.
Enough of being proud of pseudo economic independence of the regions. We are
all in one boat, but some are really rowing while the others simply sit there
doing nothing. They borrow a lot only to make the federal centre deal with
their debts later.
We cannot tolerate more indecisiveness and sluggishness in carrying out
decisions.
The programme of the government must become a programme of action, it must
give answers to vitally important questions. It must revitalise Russia's
industry and support the producers, create a tax system comprehensible to all,
when fairly paying taxes will be profitable.
In this way the government plans to help the poorest segments of the
population.
It will be difficult to fulfil this programme, but we have no alternative.
Many participants of the meeting had little time to study the whole
package of
documents, many received it only this morning.
But it comprises practically all the business-like proposals that
parliamentarians had come up with during their meetings with the head of the
government.
Significant additions that will sound today must also find a reflection
in the
programme.
Dear members of the government and parliament, all these laws have to be
approved before the start of the summer break. This is the deadline, there is
no other.
I understand your attitudes, but I want to say again that we have no
other way
and if the package of laws written in the programme is not approved, other
measures will be taken.
But I still count on your constructive approach. As before, I put my
stakes on
a dialogue. There is no time for settlement of differences.
All those who really care for the country's fate have to leave aside their
private interests or addictions to political parties, regional elite, trade
unions or business interests. Everybody needs unity when we are talking
national interests.
And this moment of our history requires this unity.''

********

Yabloko Movement To Support Russian Government's Program

MOSCOW, June 24 (Interfax) - Russia's reformist Yabloko party and its
parliamentary faction have decided to support all measures prepared by the
Russian government to stabilize the financial and economic situation in the
country, Yabloko leader Grigory Yavlinsky told a news conference at
Interfax Wednesday.
Yabloko in particular supports all measures pertaining to improvement of
the tax system, reduction of the tax burden, stiffening of controls over
collection of taxes and customs policy, he said.

Yabloko has already begun to study the government's detailed program
and will do its best to support the measures after the documents have been
submitted to the Duma, Yavlinsky said.
Yabloko believes that "if at least a part of the government's proposals
are implemented, the financial crisis will slow down somewhat and this will
allow the Cabinet to face this fall with more confidence," he said.
If within the next two months the government raises collection of taxes
by 1.5-2% against current levels, this will be proof that the Cabinet "is
able to control the situation," Yavlinsky said.
The government's program and a possible foreign loan are "largely an
anaesthetic," he said. "The credit the government may receive is more like
a pill relieving a sufferer from toothache for some time. One can take the
pill but the pain will resume in several hours," Yavlinsky said.
Russia will not be able to break free from the present "vicious
circle... without a serious economic review of the causes of the crisis,
without changes to the concept for economic development or without
understanding that a pipeline economy based on oil and gas" is impractical,
he said.
Yavlinsky also urged dismantling "the corporate, semi-criminal and
oligarchic foundation of our economic system."

********

Noted Russian Economist: Govt Will Have To Devalue Ruble

MOSCOW, June 24 (Interfax) - Russia's current policy makes devaluation of
the ruble inevitable, Director of the Economic Analysis Institute Andrei
Illarionov told a news conference at Interfax Wednesday.
Russian budgets of recent years, including that on the 1998 budget, have
been unrealistic, Illarionov said. The budget deficit remains and state
debt is growing, leading in turn to greater spending on interest, he said.
Given such a soft budget policy, the Cabinet and the Central Bank are
continuing to maintain a tight currency corridor, which inevitably
decreases the Central Bank's foreign reserves, Illarionov said.
The ruble's devaluation is becoming inevitable, he said. Comparisons
with other countries made by experts in the Economic Analysis Institute
show that the ruble could be devalued by 50%, he said.
Analysts also determined that the Russian ruble's exchange rate has been
kept artificially high since the fall of world oil prices in
October-November 1997, Illarionov said.
The government's actions and the economic situation in Russia make a
debt crisis inevitable, he said.
The government's maneuver to move financing of the budget deficit from
domestic to foreign sources will allow the country to avoid an internal
debt crisis in the short run, but greatly increases the burden of foreign
borrowing, Illarionov said. Russia's foreign debt will rise from 26.4% of
GDP in May 1998 to 45.5% of GDP by 2000 if trends continue, he added.
The inevitable foreign debt crisis will be far more difficult and
lengthy than the crisis spawned by the domestic debt, Illarionov said.

********