December 4, 1997
This Date's Issues: 1408

1. Moscow Tribune: John Helmer, The Chubais Confidence Trick.
2. N.M. Switucha: Re Estonian Language Law.
3. Stefan Lindgren: Yeltsin on troop reductions.
4. Rune Edberg: New vikings.
5. David McDuff: Whitehouse/McCormick. (Estonia).
6. Sarah: RE: Boris Yeltsin: personal responsibility.
7. New book on Russian banking.
8. Voice of America: Frank Ronalds, YEARENDER-97: RUSSIA SINCE
USSR DISSOLUTION. (Including views of Leon Aron).

9. Paul Goble (RFE/RL): Russia: Analysis from Washington --
Economic Problems Pose Serious Challenges.

10. Reuters: CIA "Very Concerned" by Russian Nuclear
Safeguards.

11. AP: Russia Offer Doesn't Impress NATO.
12. Washington Post editorial: Is Russia Next?
(DJ: Reproduced here definitely for purposes of comment and
criticism. A good example of ideological immobility. Idee fixe?)

13. Ann Vogel: Philanthropy.
14. A. Chamot: Re Resignation.]

********

Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 14:44:14 +0300 (WSU)
From: helmer@glas.apc.org (John Helmer)

>From The Moscow Tribune, December 5, 1997
THE CHUBAIS CONFIDENCE TRICK
John Helmer

When Anatoly Chubais summoned a group of western bankers to his office
Monday night, he didn't give them any hint of what he wanted to talk
about.
The summons was an acknowledgement, nonetheless, that something Chubais
had thought of doing the week before was very wrong. Of course,
Chubais didn't say that to his friends from Salomon Brothers, Credit Suisse
First Boston, Chase Manhattan, and Deutsche Morgan Grenfell. But what he did
say -- to be more exact, what he asked them for -- was just as wrong.
Wrong here doesn't just mean unwise. For wrong, read unlawful and unwise.
The borrowing of money by the Russian government is desperate right now
for an obvious reason. The treasury is so bare, Russian banks are so
skint, and foreign investors so reluctant, there isn't enough cash to
refinance maturing government bonds. That also means there isn't enough
money to pay the wage arrears promised by President Boris Yeltsin by the end
of this month.
Since Yeltsin made the promise, he ought to understand what is happening.
But he doesn't. The President had trouble this week understanding where he
was and what he was saying. Prime Minister Victor Chernomyrdin shares
political responsibility with Yeltsin, and though he knows exactly where he
is, he carefully avoids saying what the government should do about its
financial difficulty.
In normal governments, there are mechanisms for deciding what's to be
done in
such cases. In Russia, as elsewhere, these require consultations with experts,
individual ministers, committees of ministers, advisors to the
head of government, advisors to the head of state, prime minister and
president.
To be reasonable, and also to be lawful, pledging sovereign credit for
borrowing by the state requires, even in Russia, the understanding,
agreement and authorization of many officials.
But Chubais is a one-man show. When he decided the way out of the
government's
December crisis was a loan of between $1 billion and $2 billion, secured by
shares in the state oil company Rosneft, he didn't get government approval,
because he couldn't. That was a week ago. Neither the privatization ministry,
the federal property fund, nor the finance ministry believed the deal was
legal. Not even the likely lenders were willing to risk their chances of
capturing Rosneft, when the real privatization auction takes place,
by taking part in Chubais's scheme.
That was a week ago. So Chubais came up with another idea this week.
How about lending the money directly to the treasury, without special
security, he asked the bankers, promising the money to repay them would come
in when the Rosneft auction is held. This type of private treasury loan was
apparently provided more than once in the past by George Soros, according to
admissions by Vladimir Potanin, Soros's investment partner in Russia,
last year's deputy prime minister and Uneximbank chief.
This looks more legal than the loan-for-shares scheme -- except that
Chubais
didn't have government authorization to make his proposal. Finance Minister
Mikhail Zadornov, who reports to Prime Minister Chernomyrdin, is silent
on whether he knew of Chubais's proposal, before reading about
it in the newspapers. When asked, he won't say whether he and the Prime
Minister approve it. The prime ministry will not respond to the same question.
The bankers have long taken Chubais at his word, and though there was
nervousness about a loan for Rosneft shares, a straightforward
$2 billion credit to the Russian government doesn't present much of a
problem for them. Unless Chubais doesn't stay in office to ensure the Rosneft
auction is held soon. Unless the government faces the same lack of means to
repay the loan when it falls due, as it lacks on its bond obligations
today. Unless the lack of the required signatures and legal process
makes it possible for another Russian government to repudiate the loan,
or at least defer its terms.
These uncertainties are bound to be factored into the price of Chubais's
loan, the bankers admit. They will force the interest rate to market level,
and that will oblige the government to ask awkward questions about the
decision to borrow from them in the first place.
Today's debts are being covered by Central Bank advances to the government,
and the conversion of Russian savings deposits in Sberbank into bonds.
In two to three months, the mountain of debt is likely to be higher,
and the costs of today's rising interest rates will start to bite.
Collect more taxes, says the International Monetary Fund mission to Moscow
this week, so that you can repay your debts, and we will lend you the money
we promised. Chubais, the one-man show, has always been able to deliver on
that promise before.
He's arranged the most efficient, and also the heaviest income tax
collection system in the world. It takes 100% of the wages of roughly
one-third of all Russian wage-earners. If companies pay more in taxes,
their employees get less in wages, or wait longer to be paid.
Replacing that tax with another might be a fair idea. It would certainly
be a popular one. The trouble is that the one-man show Chubais created
allows untaxed income and savings to accumulate in hard currency,
and to exit Russia at a rate of $1 billion to $2 billion per month.
The policies Chubais has pursued have sought to replace that exiting money
with foreign inputs; to put the confidence of foreign investors in a place
where no Russians have any confidence whatsoever -- the banking system, and
the equities and securities markets.
This is a hugely expensive confidence trick for which Yeltsin,
Chernomyrdin
and their new finance minister are responsible. It's up to them, not
Chubais, to decide how to finance the confidence gap. They must explain
whether confiscating wages to meet the bills of foreign investors is a
price they can justify.

********