RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2015-#85 table of contents with links :: Johnson’s Russia List – Wednesday, April 29, 2015
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#85 :: Wednesday 29 April 2015
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. Newsweek.com: Alexander Motyl, Is Vladimir Putin a Fascist?
2. www.rt.com: Putin pledges state support for independent mass media.
3. Kremlin.ru: Independent Local and Regional Media Forum.
4. Forbes.com: Mark Adomanis, New Data Shows Russia’s Demography Is Rapidly Deteriorating.
5. Kremlin.ru: Russian health minister reports to president, upbeat on 2014 results.
6. Russia Beyond the Headlines: New Russian media ownership law: How will changes affect foreign players?
7. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Analyzing Russia’s new media business landscape: What has changed?
8. Wall Street Journal: Russian Assets Regain Appeal for Investors. The country’s ruble, sovereign bonds, and stocks attract those seeking higher yields.
9. TASS: CEO of Russia’s biggest bank predicts economic gloom without major reforms. (German Gref)
10. TASS: Kremlin says Putin can’t oblige state companies’ bosses to disclose incomes.
11. Russia Insider: Alexander Mercouris, How the Credit Rating Agencies Got Russia Completely Wrong. It took just a few weeks to discredit the entire rationale for the credit downgrades Russia suffered this winter
12. Moskovskiy Komsomolets: Russian pundit sees “last chance” for country’s broad reform. (Yevgeniy Gontmakher)
13. www.rt.com: Opposition threatens legal action as authorities strip Navalny’s party of registration.
14. Sputnik: Navalny Poses No Political Threat to Putin – Kremlin Spokesman.
15. http://readrussia.com: Will Wright, Can Russia’s Democratic Opposition Get Serious?
16. Moscow Times: Persecuted Russian Lawyer Finds New Ways Around Foreign Agents Label. (Ivan Pavlov)
17. http://readrussia.com: Mark Galeotti, 48 Hours as a Kremlin Whore.
18. http://readrussia.com: Mark Galeotti, Who’s afraid of big, bad Kadyrov?
19. Russia Insider: The Saker, Did Kadyrov Really Threaten to Shoot Moscow “Federals”? Of course he did, albeit in the context of a turf war between rival regional and federal police bureaucracies.
20. The National Interest: Simon Saradzhyan. ISIS on the Move: Russia’s Deadly Islamist Problem. The Islamic State could spread its influence deep into the volatile North Caucasus.
21. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s interview for Evelina Zakamskaya’s show Opinion on the Rossiya-24 network, Moscow, April 27, 2015.
22. GlobalVoices: Ukraine’s Security Service Takes Down 30,000 Websites to Fight ‘Pro-Russian Propaganda’
23. Counterpunch.org: Halyna Mokrushyna, My Journey to Eastern Ukraine. The War Zone of Donetsk.
24. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Press Digest: No breakthroughs for Ukraine on key issues at meeting with EU.
25. TASS: Protest action of Right Sector in front of the Ukrainian presidential office finished.
26. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Oligarchs out, regional governments in? Ukraine eyes power reshuffle. Ukraine’s reformers are figuring out how to move the levers of power from Kiev and the oligarchs to the individual regions – but without fracturing the country.
27. Foreign Affairs: Alexander Motyl, Kiev’s Purge. Behind the New Legislation to Decommunize Ukraine.
28. www.foreignpolicy.com: Josh Cohen, Dear Ukraine: Please Don’t Shoot Yourself in the Foot. A controversial new law sends the wrong signals about the past and threatens free speech.
29. The Daily Telegraph (UK): Ukraine’s conflict with Russia leaves economy in ruins. World Bank slashes its 2015 Ukrainian growth forecast to -7.5pc as economy deteriorates.
30. www.rt.com: ‘Ukraine’s EU membership still distant, EU has enough on its plate.’ (interview with Matthew Dal Santo)
31. Forbes.com: Greg Satell, The Beginning Of The End For Putin? Real Reform Begins To Take Hold In Ukraine.
32. Stratfor.com: Russia’s Scare Tactics in Ukraine.
33. www.rt.com: Back to old tactics: US envoy tweets ‘Russian BUKs in Ukraine’ with pic of Moscow show.
34. New York Times: Dutch Foreign Minister Reports Progress in Inquiry Into Downing of Malaysian Jetliner.
35. Paul Goble: A Vicious Circle: The More Aggressive Putin Is, the More Russians Love Him. (Kyiv Den’s Sergey Grabovsky)
36. Senate Committee on Armed Service: Stephen Sestanovich, Russia, Ukraine, and U.S. Policy.
37. The Vineyard of the Saker: Nikolai Starikov, If this isn’t fascism and a junta then what is it?