RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2015-#83 table of contents with links :: Johnson’s Russia List – Monday PM, April 27, 2015
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#83 :: Monday PM 27 April 2015
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. Moscow Times: Matthew Kupfer, De-Communization Won’t Help Ukraine.
2. Interfax: Poroshenko calls on EU leaders to give Ukraine prospect of EU membership.
3. Business New Europe: Iana Dreyer, TRADE BLOG: EU-Ukraine free trade talks with Russia likely to go nowhere. The likelihood of trilateral talks involving Ukraine, the EU and Russia over Ukraine’s implementation of the free trade deal embedded in its Association Agreement with the EU – the deal that triggered the war – is low.
4. Kyiv Post editorial: Striking distance. “If the West is right, Russians are not only well inside Ukraine with thousands of soldiers and sophisticated military equipment, they are poised to deliver a crushing strike in the eastern Donbas if Vladimir Putin so chooses.”
5. The Economist: America’s Ukrainian mission. Training wheels. Russia objects to American military trainers, but Ukraine’s army has a long way to go.
6. Bloomberg: Ukraine’s President Says Martial Law Ready If Troops Attacked.
7. TASS: Ukrainian presidential adviser suggests dissolving parliament, holding snap election.
8. Washington Post: Ukraine’s military mobilization undermined by draft dodgers.
9. TASS: Ukrainian Army commanders asking Donbass self-defence to open fire at Azov battalion.
10. Fort Russ: The fourth wave of mobilization in Ukraine is ready for war.
11. Paul Goble: No Non-Military Solution to Russian-Ukrainian War Possible, Illarionov Says.
12. RFE/RL: ‘Men Return Completely Changed’: Ukraine Conflict Fueling Surge In Domestic Violence.
13. Fort Russ: Lutsenko: In Western Ukraine People are Talking About the Need to Divide the Country.
14. Russia Insider: Mark Chapman, “Hybrid Warfare” Means Never Having to Provide Any Evidence. The claim Russia is not waging conventional war in Ukraine but a new type of “hybrid war” comes in very handy to western propagandists who can therefore establish Russian aggression without having to prove it
15. Kyiv Post: Ukraine-EU Summit starts in Kyiv as Russian forces in east show readiness for combat.
16. Sputnik: EU is Critical of Ukraine’s Unwillingness to Implement Minsk Agreement.
17. Business New Europe: Mark Adomanis, COMMENT: It’s just business for Ukraine creditors. Creditors trying to force Ukraine to honour its debts aren’t doing Vladimir Putin’s bidding, they’re doing their job.
18. Interfax-Ukraine: Nationwide referendum will decide if Ukraine joins NATO – Poroshenko.
19. AFP: Ukraine marks 29 years since Chernobyl disaster.
20. Counterpunch.org: Joy Nelson, Cranking Up The Rhetoric. Weaponizing Information.