RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2015-#71 table of contents with links :: Johnson’s Russia List – Sunday, April 12, 2015
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#71 :: Sunday 12 April 2015
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. Carnegie Moscow Center: Dmitri Trenin, From Greater Europe to Greater Asia?
The Sino-Russian Entente.
2. Financial Times: Kathrin Hille, What Russians really think. Many in the
west see Russia as aggressive and brainwashed. But its citizens have a
3. The National Interest: Dmitri Trenin, Europe’s Nightmare: Ukraine’s Massive
Meltdown. “Above all, what Ukraine needs today is for the West to lean hard on
Kiev in support of economic and political reform.”
4. The Herald (Scotland): David Pratt, No daughter can be restored. No leg can
be replaced: our report from the frontline of the war in Eastern Ukraine.
5. Carnegie Moscow Center: Mikhail Minakov, Corrupting Civil Society in Post-
6. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Ukraine Debt Rating Now Super-Duper Junk.
7. Kyiv Post: Halya Coynash, Politicizing History: Parliament adopts
Dangerously Divisive Laws.
8. Current Politics in Ukraine: David Marples, UKRAINE PARLIAMENT LEGALIZES
‘FIGHTERS FOR UKRAINIAN INDEPENDENCE IN THE 20TH CENTURY’
9. TASS: Kiev equalizes Communism to Nazism to put pressure on internal
10. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, The Maidan Retroactively Criminalizes
11. Newsweek.com: Mystery of Ukraine’s Richest Man and a Series of Unlikely
12. New York Times: The Saturday Profile. A Craftsman of Russian Verse Helps
Ukraine Find Its New Voice. (Boris Khersonsky)
13. Moscow Times: Chris Weafer, Is the Iran Deal Good or Bad News for Russia?
14. http://readrussia.com: Mark Adomanis, Russians Think Seizing Crimea Will
Pay off. Here’s a hint: it won’t.
15. AP: Chechen commander in Ukraine drawn into Russian intrigue.
16. Business New Europe: Henry Kirby, Chart – Putin ratings defy grim economic
17. www.rt.com: Did you just miss your chance to get ruble-rich? Quite
18. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, Rosencrantz, Guildenstern and King Hamlet
might be dead – but Putin’s the ghost in everybody’s room.
19. Russia Direct: Alexey Dolinskiy, Hard thinking about Russian soft power:
What to do next. Given the current international context, recent initiatives
by Russia to boost its soft power abroad are losing their effectiveness.
What’s needed now is a long-term strategy for Russian soft power.
20. US-Russia.org: What will induce Congress to reverse its stand on the
21. Sputnik: Partnership With Russia Vital for US National Security – Stephen
22. Voice of America: Former US Ambassador: Putin Has No Interest in Resolving
Ukraine Conflict. (Michael McFaul)
23. Russia Direct: Russia Direct presents its Ranking of Russian Studies
Programs in US. Harvard, University of Wisconsin, Columbia, University of
Illinois and Stanford are the Top 5 U.S. programs in Russian Studies.