RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2015-#56 table of contents with links :: Thursday 19 March 2015
Johnson’s Russia List JRL 2015-#56 :: Thursday 19 March 2015
A project of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. Foreign Affairs: Olena Lennon, Ukrainian Politics Abroad. How the Ukrainian Diaspora Sees the Homeland.
2. The Intercept: Marcin Mamon, THE CROSS AND THE SWORD. THE MAKING OF A CHRISTIAN TALIBAN IN UKRAINE.
3. Interfax-Ukraine: Center for Russian Studies created in Ukraine.
4. Reuters: Foul stench in rebel-held east Ukraine as war hits water treatment.
5. Interfax: Ukraine separatists say won’t compromise until parliament retracts amendments.
6. Interfax: DPR accuses Ukraine of railroad war in Donbas.
7. Russia Insider: Less Than Half of Ukrainians Support EU Integration. Support for EU integration in Ukraine is as low as ever. Before Maidan turmoil it stood at 41%, now it’s 47%.
8. Fort Russ: The High Mysteries of Ukrainian Mobilization and Demobilization.
9. Time.com: Theft of Ukraine’s ‘Golden Loaf’ Reflects the Revolution’s Failings. The disappearance of a symbol of the revolution comes as President Poroshenko’s approval rating crumbles.
10. TASS: Over half of Ukrainians do not approve of Kiev policies – poll.
11. Moscow Times: Russia Will Overcome Post-Crimea Challenges, Putin Vows.
12. Kremlin.ru: Concert celebrating Crimea and Sevastopol’s reunification with Russia.
13. Kremlin.ru: Meeting on socioeconomic development in Crimea and Sevastopol.
14. Moskovskiy Komsomolets: Russian commentator says long-term costs of Crimea annexation hard to predict. (Mikhail Rostovskiy)
15. Business New Europe: Crimea – withering on the vine or Russia’s blossoming new stronghold?
16. Moscow Times: Will Wright, Will Either Side Back Down on Crimea?
17. Reuters: Putin says no reason for confidence in economy, officials say worst over.
18. http://readrussia.com: Chris Miller, Russia Faces a New Threat: Inflation.
19. Huffington Post: Elena Ulansky, Will the Market Forces Replace Sanctions in Pressuring Russia?
20. www.rt.com: Russia slaps personal sanctions on 200+ foreign citizens – report.
21. Interfax: Best effort put into investigation of Nemtsov murder – Russia’s former minister. (Aleksey Kudrin)
22. Carnegie Moscow Center: Alexey Malashenko, Will the Chechen Connection Lead to Ramzan Kadyrov?
23. New York Times: Chechen’s Ties to Putin Are Questioned Amid Nemtsov Murder Case.
24. http://readrussia.com: Mark Adomanis, Nemtsov, Putin, and the Nature of Russian Politics.
25. http://gordonhahn.com: Gordon Hahn, Nemtsov’s Legacy: A United Russian Democratic Opposition?
26. Reuters: Russia says mulls maximum gas discount for Kiev of $100/1,000 cm.
27. TASS: Russia has taken lenient position on Ukraine’s 3bn-dollar debt – deputy minister.
28. www.rt.com: Russian military exercises ‘logical response’ to NATO troops on its border.
29. Huffington Post: General Norton A. Schwartz and Stanley A. Weiss, Don’t Let the Crisis in Ukraine Damage Decades of Progress on Nuclear Cooperation.
30. Cornell Chronicle: Former ambassador addresses strains in U.S.-Russia relations. (Michael McFaul)
31. Foreign Affairs: Paul Stronski, Broken Ukraine. The Mess Isn’t All Russia’s Fault.
32. Kremlin.ru: Meeting of the Russian Pobeda (Victory) Organising Committee.
33. ClubOrlov: Yu Shan, The Rage of the Cultural Elites.
34. New York Times: Valentin Rasputin, Russian Writer Who Led ‘Village Prose’ Movement, Dies at 77.
35. New York Times: Arthur A. Hartman, U.S. Ambassador to Soviet Union, Dies at 89.
36. n+1: Greg Afinogenov, Breaking Muscovy’s Silence. Edward Keenan, 1935-2015.