RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2015-#39 table of contents with links :: Friday 27 February 2015
Johnson’s Russia List JRL 2015-#39 :: Friday 27 February 2015
A project of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES)
at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. The National Interest: Mark Varga, Exposed: Ukraine’s Massive Witch Hunt. Tackling corruption, or an old-fashioned purge?
4. BBC: Anatol Lieven, What West must do in Ukraine. It would be folly for the West to arm Ukraine, argues Prof Anatol Lieven in this personal viewpoint piece, but it must take a tough diplomatic line.
5. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Russian pundit sees Ukraine conflict as aftermath of Cold War. (Fedor Lukyanov)
6. Carnegie Council for Ethics in International AffairsL David Speedie, Then and Now: Eight Lingering Questions on U.S.-Russia-Ukraine.
7. Sputnik: US Should Stay Away From Ukraine, Let EU Solve Crisis – French Scholar. (Jean-Claude Empereur)
8. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Europe Isn’t Really Worried About Putin.
10. The Daily Telegraph (UK): Ronald Elephant, Deep mistrust threatens Ukraine’s shaky ceasefire. Rebel soldiers have one thing in common with rank-and-file Ukrainians: an almost complete lack of faith in their enemy’s willingness to fulfil the Minsk peace agreement.
11. RIA Novosti: Russians’ interest in Ukrainian developments on the rise – poll.
12. Bloomberg: Ukraine Left Behind as Russian Stock Gains Are Unmatched.
13. Forbes.com: Mark Adomanis, While The West Was Debating About ‘Defensive Weapons,’ Ukraine’s Economy Collapsed.
14. Politkom.ru: Russian website eyes “soap opera” of Ukraine’s plans to introduce martial law.
15. Vox.com: Amanda Taub, Ukraine’s next war: how militias and warlords could create a second, worse conflict.
17. The Intercept: Marcin Mamon, IN MIDST OF WAR, UKRAINE BECOMES GATEWAY FOR JIHAD.
19. www.rt.com: Ukraine pays Gazprom $15mn for 24 hours worth of gas.
21. The Vineyard of the Saker: Ivan Lizin, At the finish line of deindustrialization: how Ukraine loses its industry.
22. www.the-newshub.com: James Pearce, Why Ukraine should not join The EU. An identity struggle and desire for EU and NATO alignments’ spreads the fire almost beyond control.
24. Boston Globe: Stephen Kinzer, Putin’s push into Ukraine is rational.
26. www.ronpaulinstitute.org: Daniel McAdams, US, UK, Kiev in Violation of Minsk Agreement?
27. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, THE NEW CENSORSHIP?
28. Interfax: Over 73 percent of Russians admit crisis in Russia.
29. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, No, Obama, Russia’s Economy Isn’t ‘in Tatters’
35. Russia Direct: Dmitry Polikanov, Russia is not yet ready to Spring ahead with new protests. With the large-scale “Spring” rally scheduled for this weekend, there is an increasing feel of worry among Russia’s population about the future of the country. So what’s next and how will the Kremlin respond to the demand for change?
37. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Russian security services ready to help U.S. fight ISIS, says FSB chief.
38. Eurasianet.org: Saakashvili Spearheading Push For U.S. Military Aid To Ukraine.
39. Washington Post: Top U.S. intelligence official backs arming Ukraine forces against Russia.
42. http://zik.ua: Kharkiv terrorists received weapons and funding from Russia GRU.
43. Euromaidan Press: DNR terrorists economize by killing mercenaries – journalist.
44. The Interpreter: Russia Under Putin and Beyond – Mikhail Khodorkovsky’s Speech at Chatham House.