RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2015-#13 table of contents with links :: Tuesday 20 January 2015
Johnson’s Russia List
JRL 2015-#13 :: Tuesday 20 January 2015
A project of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs: www.ieres.org
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. Euromaidan Press: Olena Bilozerska, The day Euromaidan turned violent, one year after. (DJ: In praise of Right Sector violence.)
2. www.foreignpolicy.com: Dimiter Kenarov, Dashed Hopes in Gay Ukraine. Ukrainians thought that, post-Maidan, their country would start to look more like Europe. But for members of the LGBT community, things may have even gotten worse.
3. New Scientist: Ukraine is left struggling as health workers flee.
4. Moscow Times: Residents of War-Torn East Ukraine Left in Deadly Limbo.
5. Fort Russ: An elderly man ate his dog, a starving grandma eaten by rats – humanitarian catastrophe in Novorossia.
6. Rollcall.com: Sergei Lyovochkin, One Ukraine.
7. TASS: Russia’s support for Ukraine will not be endless – Russian PM.
8. Interfax: Medvedev calls agreements on electricity shipments to Ukraine and Crimea mutually beneficial.
9. http://dissidentvoice.org: Walter Uhler, The New York Times Sinks to a New Journalistic Low in its Reporting on Ukraine.
10. Russia Insider: Alexander Mercouris, Ukraine Goes to War – and Always Will as Long as Maidan Holds Power. Ukrainian Government will never willingly compromise. Without Western pressure the war will go on.
11. Sputnik: Kiev Lacks Control Over Battalions in East Ukraine, Ceasefire Unlikely.
12. Wall Street Journal: Ukraine President Petro Poroshenko: ‘Sanctions Are Working’ on Russia. In Interview, He Says He’s Hopeful Talks Will Bring an End to Fighting With Separatists.
13. Carnegie Moscow Center: BALÁZS JARÁBIK, Ukraine Fatigue: To Be or Not to Be (Bailed Out).
14. TASS: Western sanctions will not make Russia change its policies – senior diplomat.
15. Wall Street Journal: John Vinocur, Is There No One Who Will Stand Up for Ukraine? Seems the West will do anything these days to avoid a confrontation with Vladimir Putin.
16. Sputnik: Putin Says Russia Ready to Meet Global Challenges Without Costly Arms Race.
17. TASS: US seeks no regime change in Russia – ambassador.
18. Consortiumnews.com: Jonathan Marshall, Risky Blowback from Russian Sanctions.
19. Interfax: Russians begin to feel economic crisis – poll.
20. Business New Europe: Pain but no disaster in store for Russia, says Rencap.
21. Sputnik: IMF Forecasts Russian Economy to Shrink by 3 Percent in 2015.
22. Reuters: INTERVIEW-Russian central banker sees no need for capital controls. (Ksenia Yudayeva)
23. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Is a banking crisis looming in Russia? The Russian government will supply banks with nearly $15 billion to help stave off a possible financial crisis. Only banks that are willing to increase credit in the production sector of the economy will be eligible to receive the money. In such a way the government hopes to prevent the possible negative effects of the decline in oil prices and the resulting fall of the ruble.
24. Business New Europe: Peter Szopo, COMMENT: Double trouble – Russia 2014 vs 2008.
25. www.rt.com: Decline in Russia’s GDP to cause domino effect in the region – EBRD.
26. Russia Insider: Alexander Mercouris, Russia Faces Recession but No Crisis, Return to Growth Inevitable. Capital outflow crisis does not exist. Companies are solvent and in the process of repaying debt. Contrary to doom-mongering from outside the country, in Russia there is perfect calm.
27. Russia & India Report: Want to succeed in doing business in Russia? Don’t back Russians into a corner. Pierre Casse, professor of leadership at the Moscow School of Management Skolkovo, spoke with RIR about why was it a mistake to leave Putin sitting alone at the G20 summit in Brisbane and reveals the key word to success in Russian business.
28. Gazeta.ru: Russian experts say worsening demographic situation affects economy, production.
29. TASS: Russian authorities hope free distribution of land to stem exodus from Far East.
30. Moscow Times: New Russian Space Station Blueprint Ready for Kremlin Consideration.
31. Customs Today: 1 billion dollar deal: US firm to buy 60 rocket engines from Russia’s Energia.
32. Moscow Times: Over Half of French Citizens Think Paris Should Deliver Mistral Warship to Russia.
33. Moscow Times: Russian Culture Ministry Reverses Plans to Ban Films That Undermine ‘National Unity.’ (DJ: Something of interest)
34. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Gazprom throws down the gauntlet to Europe over gas supplies via Turkey. Russian gas giant Gazprom says Europe must build a new pipeline from Turkey if it wants to secure energy supplies via its new route that cuts out Ukraine.
35. Sputnik: Experts Believe Planned Gas Hub in Turkey May Change Its Image in Europe.
36. Global Times: Oleg Ivanov, Russians willing to pay a steep price for an independent foreign policy.
37. Euromaidan Press: Paul Goble, Igor Eidman: Putin became a fascist-style leader in mid-2014.
38. Euromaidan Press: Paul Goble, Alfred Koch: Putin’s rejection of science and fear of the educated destroying Russia’s future.
39. The Unz Review: Israel Shamir, Trolling Russia.
40. The Unz Review: Philip Gerald, A Tale of Two Presidents. Putin versus Obama.