RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#97 :: Friday, 29 May 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#97 :: Friday, 29 May 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. The National Interest: George Beebe, America’s Geostrategic Triangle Tussle Takes Center Stage During the Coronavirus. Russian-Chinese cooperation is driven not only by common interests but also by “common feelings” toward Washington-feelings fueled by perceived American insults directed at both countries. Implicit within this observation is the suggestion that a less offensive American tone might still pay some dividends in decelerating Russian-Chinese cooperation against the United States.
2. Interfax: Academician Arbatov advises Russia to keep distance in relations with China.
3. TASS: US policy to quit int’l treaties to go global – expert. (Lukyanov)
4. TASS: Russia reports biggest coronavirus daily death toll so far.
5. Reuters: City of Moscow Revises Up Its Coronavirus Death Toll for April After Criticism.
6. Moscow Times: Moscow’s First Steps Out of Coronavirus Lockdown, Explained.
7. TASS: US to send second batch of 150 ventilators to Russia on May 30.
8. Meduza: Suing Russia’s president . An ‘ultra-Putinist’ ex-governor has made history with a lawsuit challenging his dismissal. Here’s his story.
9. New Statesman: Felix Light, How Covid-19 is transforming Russia’s power structures. As Putin’s popularity falls while that of governors rises, the old centralised system is in flux. – newstatesman.com/world/europe/2020/05/covid-19-russia-putin-moscow-power-kremlin-approval
10. www.rt.com: Russian economy shrinks 12 percent in April as coronavirus restrictions paralyzes business activities.
11. www.rt.com: Most Russian companies face huge losses due to virus lockdown & have difficulty getting government aid – rt.com/business/489994-russian-companies-coronavirus-losses/
12. Meduza: More than 1.9 million Russians are officially unemployed – here’s how the government plans to help them.
13. Russia Matters: Sergei Guriev, Khodorkovsky Marks the Spot: Russia’s Turning Point From Economic Freedom to State Control.
14. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 28 MAY 2020 – patrickarmstrong.ca/2020/05/28/russian-federation-sitrep-28-may-2020/
15. The Barents Observer (Norway): Tanker crosses Russian Arctic route without icebreaker assistance. Commercial shipping on the Northern Sea Route starts earlier than ever before. By late May, a carrier had set out on the icy route without icebreaker escort.
16. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Russia’s Northern Fleet monitoring NATO submarines in Arctic.
17. Gatestone Institute: Lawrence Franklin, Russia’s Arctic Empire.
18. RFE/RL: Interview: Russia And Turkey Kick A ‘Wasp’s Nest’ In Libya. (Mikhail Magid)
19. Moscow Times: Vladimir Frolov, Trump Wants a Nuclear Deal. Why Is This Bad News for Moscow? Russia is about to lose its exclusive channel of cooperation with the U.S.
20. www.rt.com: Elliot Leavy, Cosmos as the final (legal) frontier: How America is bending SPACE LAW as we enter new age of exploration – rt.com/news/490089-commercial-exploration-space-law/
21. Awful Avalanche: There Has Always Been a Ukraine – Part III – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2020/05/28/there-has-always-been-a-ukraine-part-iii/
22. SouthFront: DONBAS: WAR OF ATTRITION – southfront.org/donbas-war-of-attrition/
23. Eurasianet.org: Igor Torbakov, Examining the origins of Russians’ superiority complex vis-à-vis Ukrainians. Why does Ukraine matter so much in imperial thinking?
24. www.project-syndicate.org: Nina Khrushcheva, Russian Derangement Syndrome – project-syndicate.org/commentary/united-states-media-democrats-deranged-on-russia-and-covid19-by-nina-l-khrushcheva-2020-05
25. New York Times: Danger and Detective Work: How These Journalists Won a Pulitzer The Times took the international reporting prize for a series of investigations into Russia that involved great risk. Here’s how our team did it.
26. New York Times: Vincent Bevins, The ‘Liberal World Order’ Was Built With Blood. As the United States reckons with its decline, it should understand where its power came from in the first place.