RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#7 :: Monday, 13 January 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#7 :: Monday, 13 January 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. RFE/RL: Echoes Of War And Collapse: Russia’s Demographic Decline As Small 1990s Generation Comes Of Age.
2. Meduza: Rylkin (Republic): Poverty isn’t Putin’s biggest worry.
3. Paul Goble: Poverty among Young Russians Now Will Cast a Shadow Long into the Future, Scholars Say.
4. https://gilbertdoctorow.com: Gilbert Doctorow. Western media coverage of Russia as an exercise in propaganda.
Western media coverage of Russia as an exercise in propaganda
5. Le Monde diplomatique: Karine Clement, Russia looks after its rich. Pension reforms delaying retirement brought outcry from Russians. But Putin keeps squeezing lower incomes, exempting a wealthy elite close to the Kremlin. Ordinary people to work longer for less.
6. Off Guardian: Vladimir Golstein, What About “Whataboutism”
7. The Calvert Journal: Life above the Arctic circle: when the resources run dry, how will the people of the Kola Peninsula survive? The Soviets set out to bring industrial prosperity to Russia’s Arctic towns. Today, many residential buildings on the remote, northwestern Kola Peninsula stand vacant as the factories power on. Mikhail Lebedev documents Kola’s workforce and forbidding polar terrain.
8. TASS: Russia will finish Nord Stream 2 without foreign assistance, Gazprom CEO vows.
9. www.rt.com: Nord Stream 2 is an economic project to benefit Germany AND Europe, Washington’s stance is wrong – Merkel.
10. Wall Street Journal: Russian Gas Pipeline to Europe Faces Delay Due to U.S. Sanctions. Putin says Nord Stream 2 will now be completed by the end of the year or first quarter of 2021.
11. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Russian general interviewed on Nato, arms control. (Colonel General Alexander Fomin, Deputy Defence Minister)
12. Nikkei Asian Review (Japan): Russia all but destined to edge closer to China in 2020. Still on the outs with the US, Putin has no choice but to buddy up to Beijing.
13. Bloomberg: Putin, Erdogan Press Libyan Rivals to Sign Moscow Truce.
14. www.rt.com: Unique ‘trust from all parties’ allowed Russia to bring Libya’s warring factions to Moscow for talks.
15. The Times of Israel: A turbulent decade sees Moscow’s star shine brightly in the Middle East. Russia is increasingly asserting its place as the dominant superpower in the region; the proverbial Russian bear hug could prove dangerous.
16. TASS: Vedomosti: Why Iran unexpectedly admitted guilt to the Ukrainian plane crash.
18. Interfax: Western security services’ awareness about Iran crash shows they might have had data on Donbas Boeing crash as well – Kosachyov.
19. The Hill: Peter Zwack, Stepping back from the brink – and what’s next – in Iran.
20. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, THE FOG OF WAR – GORILLA RADIO DISCUSSES THE RUSSIAN FOCUS.
21. Washington Post: Dennis Ross, Why Soleimani’s killing is a gift to Vladimir Putin.
22. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Russians are coming – to the Indian Ocean.
23. RFE/RL: Abkhaz Leader Resigns, No Plans To Run For New Term.
24. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, How interconnected are the economies of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan? Inflation and rates outlook for 2020.
25. Al Jazeera: Leonid Ragozin, How Ukraine’s Zelenskyy is winning hearts and minds in Russia. The Ukrainian president’s New Year address overshadowed Vladimir Putin’s and won the praise of many Russians.
26. Intellinews.com: OUTLOOK 2020 Ukraine. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy secured a ceasefire and an expanded no-contact zone at the Normandy Four meeting in December. In 2020, there is a possibility that some sort of peace deal could be reached with Russia.
27. Times of Israel: Ukraine tells Israel to stay out of debate about honoring Nazi collaborators.
28. Atlantic Council: Adrian Karatnycky, Prisoner exchange lifts the veil on Russia’s hybrid war against Ukraine.
29. Bloomberg: U.S. Probes If Russia Is Targeting Biden in 2020 Election Meddling. (excerpt)
30. The National Interest: Abdul-Khakim Sultygov, How American Disinformation Helped End the Cold War. Psychological warfare and the rise of Mikhail Gorbachev sped up the demise of the Soviet Union.
31. Strategic Culture Foundation: Patrick Armstrong, A New Year’s Fantasy. (Re Cold War history)
32. Reminder: Call for Applications: The Summer Research Laboratory at Illinois.