RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#60 :: Thursday, 2 April 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#60 :: Thursday, 2 April 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Kremlin.ru: Address to the Nation – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/63133
[Russian with video: kremlin.ru/events/president/news/63133]
2. AP: Russia’s Putin orders month of non-work to curb coronavirus.
3. www.rt.com: Putin extends paid holiday period in Russia until end of April as Covid-19 cases spike.
4. Meduza: No work through April and regional responsibility: Putin’s latest COVID-19 address at a glance.
5. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Government members. Vladimir Putin held a meeting with members of the Government. During a video conference call, they discussed combatting the coronavirus infection and topical issues on the socio-political agenda.
6. TASS: Izvestia: Russia projected to pass coronavirus peak in ten days.
7. Russia Beyond: 7 ways Russians have changed since the coronavirus outbreak – rbth.com/lifestyle/331950-russian-habits-change-covid19
8. TASS: Number of Russians ‘panicking’ because of coronavirus plunges, says poll.
9. Interfax: Kremlin says not planning state of emergency over Covid-19.
10. Russia Beyond: How Russian volunteers act in times of coronavirus.
11. Moscow Times: Grassroots Volunteer Programs Help Battle Coronavirus in Russia. COVID-19 is spreading fast – but so is the volunteer movement to help combat it.
12. Moscow Times: Coronavirus in Russia: The Latest News | April 2.
13. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Over 7 mln Russians could lose jobs over coronavirus.
14. Meduza: That dirty little word: quarantine. How Vladimir Putin and federal officials have avoided responsibility for Russia’s fight against coronavirus.
15. Facebook: Fred Weir, “the Russian government is well organized, reasonably well trusted”
16. Moscow Times: Moscow’s Small Businesses Feel the Pinch Under Coronavirus Lockdown.
17. South Front: WHILE THE WORLD IS IN DISARRAY, COVID-19 IS BREAKING UP RUSSIA.
[Text with graphics and links https://southfront.org/while-the-world-is-in-disarray-covid-19-is-breaking-up-russia/]
18. Bloomberg: Russia Won’t Boost Oil Output Amid Oversupply, Official Says.
19. www.rt.com: Saudi Arabia won’t undermine Russia-US energy deal & risk facing oil price war on two fronts – market analyst to RT.
20. TASS: Izvestia: COVID-19 affects nuclear non-proliferation.
21. Russia in Global Affairs: Pavel Tsygankov, N – NATIONAL INTEREST.
22. Russia in Global Affairs: Vassily Kashin, H – HYBRID WAR.
23. Riddle: Russia’s armed forces under Gerasimov, the man without a doctrine. Michael Kofman on salient trends in Russian military strategy and doctrinal thought, as opposed to the mythical Gerasimov Doctrine.
24. Russia Matters: Simon Saradzhyan, US-Russian Non-Interference Pact: Quod Licet Roosevelt, Non Licet Trump? Is a non-interference pact between Russia and the U.S. feasible given the current state of their relationship? What might such a pact look like and, more importantly, what should it address?
25. Wall Street Journal: Walter Russell Mead, The Trump-Russia Showdown Over Oil. Putin sacrifices Iran and Venezuela to hit back at the U.S. president. Democrats may end up giving Moscow the advantage.
26. Politico.eu: Russia and China push ‘fake news’ aimed at weakening Europe: report. EU officials claim both Moscow and Beijing continue to peddle disinformation on social media whose aim is to undermine the European Union and its partners.
27. Washington Post: Trump called Russia’s coronavirus aid to U.S. ‘very nice.’ Putin may use it as a propaganda coup.
28. www.rt.com: If at first you don’t succeed…Impeachment frontman Schiff mulls 9/11-like ‘nonpartisan commission’ on coronavirus – rt.com/usa/484733-schiff-911-commission-coronavirus-blame/