RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#48 :: Tuesday, 17 March 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#48 :: Tuesday, 17 March 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russia Beyond: How has life in Moscow changed due to coronavirus?
[rbth.com/lifestyle/331835-how-has-life-in-moscow-with-coronavirus] [See also “#QuarantineAndChill: All things Russian to do while in self-isolation”: rbth.com/arts/331838-quarantine-things-russian-to-do]
2. www.rt.com: Russia to ban entry for foreign nationals until May: Government Press Service
3. Moscow Times: Q&A: Russia’s Anti-Coronavirus Measures.
4. Intellinews.com: Russia’s government ramps up preparations to fight economic fall-out of coronavirus. Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin is preparing an economic support pack to cushion the blow from the coronavirus pandemic.
5. Government.ru: First meeting of the Government Coordination Council to control the incidence of coronavirus infection in Russia. – government.ru/en/news/39164/
6. Government.ru: Meeting with deputy prime-ministers. The agenda includes efforts to control the incidence of new coronavirus infection and to provide stable economic performance – government.ru/en/news/39161/
7. Government.ru: Briefing with Tatyana Golikova following the meeting of the Government Coordination Council to control the incidence of coronavirus infection in Russia. -government.ru/en/news/39167/
8. TASS: Putin urges federal prosecutor’s office to protect Russians’ civil rights better.
9. TASS: Putin demands foiling any attempts to destabilize society.
10. TASS: Kremlin says current non-systemic opposition is marginalized.
11. TASS: Putin assures non-systemic opposition not an enemy of the state.
12. Kremlin.ru: Opposition, systemic and non-systemic (interview to TASS) – en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/62997 [Video with English subtitles for this and other interviews here: https://putin.tass.ru/en/o-sanktsiyakh-i-importozameschenii/?utm_source=tass&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=banner_300_600]
13. www.rt.com: Constitutional Court approves amendments resetting presidential terms limits, poll says majority would vote for Putin in 2024T – rt.com/russia/483252-putin-presidential-terms-no-limits/
14. RBK: Most Russians have said they would vote for Putin in 2024 – rbc.ru/politics/16/03/2020/5e6e4cfe9a7947100d3c60ed?utm_source=yxnews&utm_medium=desktop&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fyandex.ru%2Fnews
15. Meduza: 52 pages for 12 more years. How Russia’s Constitutional Court justified letting Putin stick around and a whole lot more.
16. Inside Story (Australia): Graeme Gill, Vladimir Putin: ruler for life? Could there be a less sinister reason why the Russian president wants the way open for a longer tenure? – insidestory.org.au/vladimir-putin-ruler-for-life/?fbclid=IwAR3EedNQoFSn-k76IicBcKj6Ti17EkdA2H8vJlhbkEXZ1gIFIE4M4k5jlnc
17. The Diplomat: Mike Smeltzer, One Way to Look at the Overhaul in Russia? Putin Lacks a Dynastic Exit Strategy. Recent political moves reinforce the fact that Putin still lacks a well-placed family member to whom control could be handed, complicating his search for an exit strategy.
18. Financial Times: Saudi oil war: ‘The beauty is you can blame it on the Russians’. Battle between strongmen threatens to upend markets and damage economies.
19. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, BEWARE RUSSIANS ON CAMPUS.
20. The Nation: Citizen Gorbachev Speaks. If war is the consequence of a policy, then get rid of the policy.
21. BESA (Israel): Emil Avdaliani, Russia’s Shift from “Greater Europe” to “Greater Asia”
22. Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS): Jeffrey Mankoff and Andrey Kortunov, Addressing Unresolved Challenges in U.S.-Russia Relations. (Excerpt)
23. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Kazantsev, The US and the Taliban: Uncertainty About the Peace Agreement – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/the-us-and-the-taliban/
24. RAND Corporation: Understanding Potential Trajectories of Great-Power Ideological Competition
25. National Security Archive: False Warnings of Soviet Missile Attacks Put U.S. Forces on Alert in 1979-1980 (excerpt)
[Full text https://nsarchive.gwu.edu/briefing-book/nuclear-vault/2020-03-16/false-warnings-soviet-missile-attacks-during-1979-80-led-alert-actions-us-strategic-forces]
26. The National Interest: Stratfor, What If Ukraine’s Attempt at Peace Ended up Making Things Worse? Between a rock and a hard place.
27. Human Rights in Ukraine (KHPG): Underhanded agreement for direct dialogue with Donbas militants is a red line Zelensky promised not to cross. [http://khpg.org/en/index.php?id=1584197811]
28. The Center for International Security and Cooperation (Stanford): Steven Pifer, Crimea: Six Years after Illegal Annexation. [https://cisac.fsi.stanford.edu/news/crimea-%C2%A0six-years-after-illegal-annexation]
29. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Are U.S. Intelligence and/or George Soros Trying to Undermine Zelenskiy?
30. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, THE DEFENCE OPENS ITS CASE IN THE MH17 TRIAL, CHARGING THE DUTCH PROSECUTORS WITH ILLEGAL HOBBLING, SABOTAGE AND EXCESSIVE HASTE – johnhelmer.net/the-defence-opens-its-case-in-the-mh17-trial-charging-the-dutch-prosecutors-with-illegal-hobbling-sabotage-and-excessive-haste/print/
31. Bloomberg: ‘Putin Chef’ Case Dropped in Mueller Election-Meddling Probe.
32. Facebook: Fred Weir, Comment on “Putin Ally to Sue U.S. for $50Bln Over ‘Wrongful Persecution'”
33. www.rt.com: DOJ drops charges against ‘Russian trolls’ after they dared demand evidence in US court – rt.com/usa/483279-concord-russiagate-charges-dropped/
34. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Larry Johnson, WHY IS CROWDSTRIKE CONFUSED ON ELEVEN KEY DETAILS ABOUT THE DNC HACK? (excerpt) – turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/2020/03/