RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#35 :: Friday, 28 February 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#35 :: Friday, 28 February 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Izvestia: Coronavirus will turn into flu-like seasonal illness.
2. Foreign Affairs: Thomas Graham and Joseph Haberman, The Price of Peace in the Donbas. Ukraine Can’t Keep Both Territory and Sovereignty.
3. TASS: Putin says he seldom uses gadgets, prefers hotline phone.
4. Reuters: Vladimir Putin inspects Russia’s answer to Disneyland before grand opening.
5. TASS: President added to list of persons banned from having bank accounts abroad.
6. Interfax: Count of presidencies in Russia may be set to zero, Putin may serve as president past 2024 – pundit.
7. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Daily says constitution changes aim to boost Putin’s powers.
8. Paul Goble: Even if Navalny Replaced Putin, Russia Wouldn’t Change Because Putin is ‘Simply a Product of Russian Society,’ Milin Says.
9. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, ELECTION COMMISSIONER PAMFILOVA ANNOUNCES NEW RIGGING FOR CONSTITUTION VOTE.
10. Paul Goble: Professional Groups in Russia Displaying Ever Greater Collective Solidarity, Lev Gudkov Says.
11. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Russia’s RTS crashes below 1,400 in the worst sell-off since 2008 as coronavirus pandemic fears grip emerging markets.
12. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Looming economic crisis not spooking Finance Ministry.
13. Financial Times: Letter: Russian state cements its role as ultimate manager. From Yi-Chen Lu, Dublin, Ireland.
14. RFE/RL: Russia’s Chief Auditor Says 1-In-3 Hospitals Lacks Running Water.
15. The Barents Observer (Norway): Russian Arctic shipping up 430 percent in three years.
16. AP: Russian track federation elects a new president.
17. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Russian article views impact of coronavirus on agriculture.
18. CNSNews: Dimitri Alexander Simes, Russia’s Anti-Coronavirus Measures Irk China.
19. The National Interest: Daniel DePetris, Donald Trump Has Less Than a Year to Save the Last Nuclear Arms Treaty. At a time when U.S.-Russia ties are in danger of falling off the cliff, saving New START will preserve some desperately needed stability in the broader relationship.
20. The National Interest: Lyle Goldstein, Russia’s Relationship With China Is Growing Despite Setbacks. What are the strategic implications of Moscow and Beijing working
21. TASS: Izvestia: Turkey raising stakes in Syria.
22. Bloomberg: Erdogan Is Holding a Gun to His Own Head in Syria. Turkey’s president has willfully cozied up to Putin. The inevitable consequence is isolation.
23. www.rt.com: The threat of a Russia-Turkey-NATO hot war over Idlib is a godsend for US foreign policy – rt.com/op-ed/481899-russia-turkey-nato-syria/
24. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Turkey, Russia tiptoe toward ‘unnecessary war’
25. The Unz Review: The Saker, Are Russia and Turkey on a Collision Course? – unz.com/tsaker/are-russia-and-turkey-on-a-collision-course/
26. Interfax-Ukraine: Nearly half of Ukrainians want government reset.
27. Kyiv Post: Ukraine opens probes into Biden after ex-prosecutor Shokin’s court appeals.
28. Washington Examiner: Intelligence community disputes 2020 Trump-Russia story embraced by Democrats.
29. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Fedor Lukyanaov, Hello again. The presidential campaign 2020 formally began in the United States. Since the previous election, exaltation has not subsided – rg.ru/2020/02/25/lukianov-poka-v-ssha-paranojia-familiia-novogo-prezidenta-ne-imeet-znacheniia.html