RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#3 :: Monday, 6 January 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#3 :: Monday, 6 January 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. RFE/RL: Russian PM Approves National Action Plan On Climate Change.
2. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Russia’s flourishing agricultural sector on course for another good harvest.
3. The Bell: Looking back at the 2010s.
5. NPR: Lucian Kim, Putin’s Rule Turns 20: Many Russians Find Stability; A New Generation Sees Stagnation.
6. The Calvert Journal: Felix Light, Letter from Ingushetia: navigating ethnic tensions and Soviet scars across the Caucasian Iron Curtain. For almost three decades, the Russian republics of Ingushetia and North Ossetia have been separated by soldiers tasked to keep the peace amid bitter ethnic tensions. But even as the guns lie silent, the weight of history and conflict still makes itself felt – on both sides of this internal frontier.
7. RFE/RL; Vladimir Voronov, Journey Into Hell: A Reporter Remembers Moscow’s Assault On Grozny In 1995.
8. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Sushentsov, Principle of Non-Interference: Is It Too Difficult to Follow?
9. TASS: General Soleimani was key figure in cooperation with Russia – Iran leader’s top adviser.
10. TASS: Iran’s nuclear program remains under IAEA control, says Russian envoy.
11. www.paulcraigroberts.org: Paul Craig Roberts, Putin’s Hour Is At Hand.
12. Atlantic Council: Mark Katz, Russia reacts to the killing of Soleimani.
13. William Dunkerley: Washington Times Flimflams Readers on Putin’s “Disastrous” Reign.
14. BMB Russia: Nord Stream 2.
15. Financial Times: Belarus and Russia ease tensions over oil supplies. Minsk restarts processing of crude after Moscow suspended shipments.
16. Asia Times: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Russia, Turkey in delicate dance in Eastern Med. Erdogan vows to send troops to Libya, where they may face Russian forces, but neither side wants a confrontation.
17. Financial Times: Nick Butler, Gas deal with Ukraine is a boon for Russia. Details of the agreement show that Vladimir Putin understands the energy market.
18. BMB Russia: Russia-Ukraine Gas Deal.
19. Awful Avalanche: Polish Embassy vs Ukraine New Bandera Spat – Holodomor In Doubt?
20. The Daily Signal: Nolan Peterson, Why Ukrainians Are Skeptical About Peace With Russia in 2020.
21. www.stalkerzone.org: Mikhail Khodorkovsky’s Bloody Empire.
22. TASS: WADA’s clampdown on doping in Russian sports was success, says outgoing President Reedie.
23. The New Kremlin Stooge: Mark Chapman, The United States of Amnesia, and Its Incredible Asbestos Pants. (re Olympic doping accusations)