RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#2 :: Saturday, 4 January 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#2 :: Saturday, 4 January 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Fox Business: Is Putin nervous after Soleimani’s death? Hermitage Capital Management CEO Bill Browder says Iranian general Qassem Soleimani’s death should cause Russian President Vladimir Putin to sweat a bit.
2. Al-Monitor: Maxim Suchkov, How Russia is reading the killing of Qasem Soleimaini.
3. Meduza: Felgenhauer: Soleimani’s death is 1914 all over again.
4. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Russia Says Iran General’s Killing ‘Illegal’
5. Moscow Times: Mark Galeotti, Putin Can Cautiously Enjoy the Iran Drama From the Audience. From Moscow’s point of view there must be a quiet sense of relief that this time it is in the audience, not center stage.
6. RFE/RL: Analysis: A Beneficiary Of The U.S.-Iran Crisis Could Well Be Russia.
7. Daily Beast: Julia Davis, Russian State Media Blames Impeachment for Trump’s Iran Strike “For Donald Trump, the annihilation of an Iranian General presents a decent opportunity for a domestic PR campaign,” one Kremlin columnist said.
8. Meduza: Kortunov: 2019 sucked, and 2020 can’t be much better.
9. Valdai Discussion Club: Yaroslav Lissovolik, Russia-2020: Gauging the Risks Ahead.
10. TASS: FACTBOX: How Russia embarked on celebrating the New Year. Starting in 2013, the official New Year holidays run from January 1-8
11. Moscow Times/Vedomosti: Maria Zheleznova and Vladimir Ruvinsky, Russians Are Tired of Stability. The lack of clear economic progress contributed to mounting discontent in 2019.
12. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Rise of the Volga boatwomen? Russia ending gender bar on many jobs. Russia has long legally forbidden women from taking certain jobs in an effort to “protect” them. That is now changing, but lowering the legal hurdles to equality is just a first step in effecting cultural change, experts say.
13. The Times (UK): Russian families are paid to have second child.
14. Moscow Times: Will Russia Enforce Its New Internet Laws in 2020? Legislation may be strict, but experts say it’s easy to circumvent.
15. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 2 JANUARY 2020.
16. https://journal-neo.org: Peter Koenig, Nord Stream 2 – US Sanctions – Trump’s Economic Suicide?
17. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, We Don’t Have Another Europe and We Don’t Have Another Russia.
18. NPR: Trump’s Push For Lofty Nuclear Treaty Sparks Worry Over Current Deal.
19. The National Interest: David Axe, Does Russia Really Have Hypersonic Weapons That Are ‘Operational’? Sometimes being first isn’t always best.
20. AP: Russia to Resume Limited Oil Supplies to Belarus Amid Talks.
21. Stars and Stripes: Russia’s close ally Belarus explores working closer with NATO.
22. Atlantic Council: Samuel Charap and Jeremy Shapiro, Why we must talk to Russia.
23. Global Times (China): Oleg Ivanov, China-Russia unity can resist US pressure.
24. The Economist: Tearing down the past. Obituary: Yuri Luzhkov died on December 10th. The long-time mayor of Moscow and transformer of the city was 83.
25. Awful Avalanche: Polish Jews Defend “Anti-Semite swine” Józef Lipski – Part II.
26. Washington Examiner: Eddie Scarry, Russia might use social media to influence the 2020 election. That’s not a big deal.
27. www.rt.com: Neil Clark, Trump’s New Year killing of Soleimani finally blows up the fake Russiagate narrative.