RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#101 :: Friday, 5 June 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#101 :: Friday, 5 June 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Intellinews: Russian fuel spill declared federal emergency. A massive oil spill in the northern city of Norilsk is being dubbed Russia’s Exxon Valdez.
2. AFP: Russia says has stopped spread of Arctic fuel spill.
3. Moscow Times: In Siberian Fuel Spill, Climate Change Is Seen as Major Factor. Russia’s weather and environment service warned of the risks of melting permafrost as early as 2017.
4. Financial Times: Siberia fuel spill threatens Moscow’s Arctic ambitions.
5. www.rt.com: Russia has reached coronavirus plateau – the World Health Organization.
6. Washington Post: Russian labs race to find a covid-19 vaccine by fall, but concerns raised about fast-track methods.
7. TASS: Constitutional amendments to take effect only if approved in nationwide vote – Kremlin.
8. Kommersant: Sociologists have warned of the possibility of mass protests in Russia.
9. Moscow Times: Communists Campaign Against Reforms Giving Putin More Years in Power.
10. Institute of Modern Russia: Vladislav Inozemtsev, Why the Putin Regime Will Stand.
11. TASS: Kommersant: Russians want their spending habits to bounce back.
12. Awful Avalanche: Kneeling vs Crouching – Which Gesture Can Best Heal The Racial Divide? (Excerpt) – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2020/06/05/kneeling-vs-crouching-which-gesture-can-best-heal-the-racial-divide/
13. Russia Beyond: Could Russia lose space to Elon Musk? – rbth.com/science-and-tech/332289-russia-space-roscosmos-spacex
14. Forbes: Despite SpaceX Success NASA Will Pay Russia $90 Million To Take U.S. Astronaut To The ISS.
15. Carnegie Moscow Center: Dmitri Trenin, Decoding Russia’s Official Nuclear Deterrence Paper.
16. Russia Matters: Olga Oliker, New Document Consolidates Russia’s Nuclear Policy in One Place.
17. Kremlin.ru: On the foundations of state policy in the field of nuclear deterrence.
[Text in Russian: static.kremlin.ru/media/events/files/ru/IluTKhAiabLzOBjIfBSvu4q3bcl7AXd7.pdf]
18. Interfax: Primakov Readings: U.S. can’t afford to contain both Russia and China – experts.
19. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov, We Need to Create a More Inclusive System of Global Governance – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/we-need-to-create-a-more-inclusive-system-of-global-governance/
20. TASS: ‘Poison plot’ against Prague politicians was pure fabrication, admits Czech PM.
21. Responsible Statecraft: Lyle Goldstein, A brazen foray into the Barents yields predictable Cold War-type friction.
22. The National Interest: Anatoly Antonov, America’s Withdrawal from the Open Skies Treaty Undermines Euro-Atlantic Security. In today’s volatile global situation the international community cannot afford to squander agreements like the Open Skies Treaty.
23. Infobrics: Does Germany blame Russia for cyberattacks to appease Washington? – infobrics.org/post/31053/
24. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Russia: The Identitarian Bogey Man of American Politics.
25. www.fort-russ.com: Arthur Evans, When Putin Is The Hope Of Democracy – fort – russ.com/2020/06/when-putin-is-the-hope-of-democracy/
26. TASS: Almost half Ukrainians believe Ukraine is collapsing, says poll.
27. Kyiv Post editorial: Donald J. Yanukovych