RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#91 :: Friday, 31 May 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#91 :: Friday, 31 May 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. RFE/RL: Landing At Pushkin: Putin Decree Assigns Russian Airports The Names Of Cultural Figures.
2. TASS: Izvestia: Moscow to double spending on promoting Russian as part of ‘soft power’ concept.
3. Russia Matters: Ben Aris, Russia’s National Projects: Economic Reboot or Mucky Bog?
4. RIA Novosti: Kremlin acknowledges setbacks in fighting poverty.
5. www.rt.com: Russia’s gold & foreign exchange reserves will soon top $500 billion – Central Bank boss.
6. Sputnik: Russian Central Bank Explains What’s Behind Recent De-Dollarisation Trend.
7. TASS: Media: European businesses more upbeat on investing in Russia.
8. TASS: Putin’s approval rating sees 3-point rise since January, reaching 64.5%, survey says.
9. Bear Market Blog: Polling.
10. Moscow Times/Vedomosti: Vladimir Ruvinsky, Russians Prepare for a Colorless Future. National projects have not become a guarantee for a better future.
11. Meduza: Pavlovsky: Russia is king of the wormholes.
12. Awful Avalanche: Navalny’s Bitcoin Scam – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/05/31/navalnys-bitcoin-scam/
13. Intellinews.com: Russian president Putin enacts capital Amnesty 3.0.
14. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 30 MAY 2019 – patrickarmstrong.ca/2019/05/30/russian-federation-sitrep-30-may-2019/
15. www.strategic-culture.org: Patrick Armstrong, Why Russia’s Victory Day Was Crucial for the Survival of ‘European Values’ – strategic-culture.org/news/2019/05/30/why-russias-victory-day-was-crucial-for-the-survival-of-european-values/
16. Defense One: Putin Drops Hints about Upcoming National AI Strategy. Russian leader calls for “technological sovereignty” and, somewhat surprisingly, for protecting IP and civil rights.
17. Oilprice.com: Will The U.S. Slap Sanctions On Nord Stream 2?
18. www.rt.com: Danielle Ryan, Shhh. It’s not fracking, it’s freedom gas.
19. www.rt.com: Pentagon to ban US companies from using Russian space launches & satellites.
20. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Moscow testing nuclear munitions, not violating moratorium.
21. TASS: Izvestia: Putin’s INF suspension bill to act as signal for global community.
22. Russian International Affairs Council: Dmitry Stefanovich, The INF Treaty: Mirror or Abyss? – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/the-inf-treaty-mirror-or-abyss/
23. Sputnik: Moscow BREAKS SILENCE on Claim of Russia’s Alleged Refusal to Sell S-400 to Iran.
24. Asia Times: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Friction growing between Russia and Iran. Moscow has more in common with Tel Aviv than it has with Tehran, as an upcoming security summit highlights.
25. Russia Reviewed: I collected data on the “Best books about Putin’s Russia.” Here is what I found. (excerpt) – russiareviewed.wordpress.com/2019/05/21/i-collected-data-on-the-best-books-about-putins-russia-here-is-what-i-found/
26. Moscow Times: Natalia Antonova, What’s the Deal With Russophobia Anyway. Is Russophobia real or is it an invention of a revanchist Kremlin ? The answer, surprisingly, is both.
27. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, ‘Chernobyl’ TV miniseries: the reviews from ground zero. Those who have lived through part of history can offer valuable insights years later. They can also reveal the range of perspectives on a subject, as shown by reactions to this TV dramatization of the 1986 nuclear disaster.
28. Bloomberg: Leonid Berdshidsky, If HBO’s ‘Chernobyl’ Was Made by Russians. Creating a compelling drama about the nuclear disaster would be one way for post-Soviet nations to show they’ve learned its lessons.
29. www.rt.com: Gorbachev says he will watch new hit HBO ‘Chernobyl’ show.
30. AP: Ukrainian parliament defies new president, keeps Cabinet.
31. The Unz Review: Pat Buchanan, What a Hash Mueller Made of It – unz.com/pbuchanan/what-a-hash-mueller-made-of-it/
32. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, How Did Russiagate Begin? Why Barr’s investigation is important and should be encouraged.
33. New York Times: Answers to Readers’ Questions on Our Coverage of the Russia Investigation.
34. Sputnik: Mueller Uses ‘Qualifying,’ ‘Sneaky’ Language to Allege Russia Behind DNC Hack. – sputniknews.com/analysis/201905311075495473-mueller-sneaky-language-allege-russia-behind-hack/
35. National Review: Andrew McCarthy, Was Brennan’s ‘Intelligence Bombshell’ the Steele Dossier? Signs point to yes.