RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#88 :: Tuesday, 28 May 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#88 :: Tuesday, 28 May 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, The Russian economy is stagnating.
2. Bloomberg: One Year In, Putin’s Grand Economic Plan Is Tainted With Manure. The National Projects spending program is not living up to expectations.
3. TASS: Izvestia: Russia’s recession risk drops to 10%.
4. Intellinews.com: Trust in Russian President Vladimir Putin falls to a historic low of 31.7% in May.
5. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Commissioner for Entrepreneurs’ Rights Boris Titov.
6. Moscow Times: Major Russian Cities Need 100 Years to Reach Moscow’s Development Level, Study Says.
7. New York Times: In Russia’s Provinces, the Doctor Is in (the Streets).
8. TASS: Izvestia: Envoy stresses Russia committed to abiding by European Court’s decisions.
9. Paul Goble: Russians Again as in 1989 Beginning to Feel that Fundamental Change is Possible, Solovey Says.
10. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, Europe’s Parliamentary Election: A New Stage in the History of Europe? – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/european-parliament-election-a-new-stage/]
11. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Iran seeks to edge out Russian bases in Syria.
12. Russian International Affairs Council: Abdolrasool Divsallar and Pyotr Kortunov, Moscow’s Options in The Wake of A US Military Confrontation with Iran. – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/moscow-s-options-in-the-wake-of-a-us-military-confrontation-with-iran/
13. Andrei Liakhov: RE: FT Article on Sheremetievo disaster (JRL May 22)
14. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Putin’s Arctic Plans Are a Climate Change Bet. Russia has launched its third new nuclear icebreaker as part of a massive effort to control shipping routes before the ice melts.
15. Oilprice.com: The U.S. Is Losing The Nuclear Race To Russia And China.
16. Meduza: Steshin: HBO’s ‘Chernobyl’ is a global conspiracy against Rosatom.
17. Vedomosti: Poll: Russia’s youth more disillusioned with political leaders.
18. PONARS Eurasia: Harley Balzer, Public Opinion Paradoxes? Russians Are Increasingly Dubious About the Costs of Putin’s Foreign Policies.
19. RFE/RL: Flouting The Law In Nostalgia’s Name: Russia’s Growing Movement Of ‘Soviet Citizens’
20. www.rt.com: Robert Bridge, US think tank goes big-game hunting for Russia. Guess who gets shot in the foot? – rt.com/op-ed/460385-rand-report-us-russia/
21. NYU Jordan Center: Eliot Borenstein, Words Fail Us (Russia’s Alien Nations).
22. Russia Matters: 2020 US Presidential Candidates on Russia: What Have They Said So Far? (excerpt)
23. The National Interest: Daryl Kimball, New START Must Be Extended, With or Without China. The baffling non-answers from the senior administration officials strongly suggest that the president’s impulse for a grand U.S.-Chinese-Russian arms control bargain is not backed up with a realistic plan.
24. https://yasha.substack.com: Yasha Levine, Russiagate: A coming of age moment for Soviet immigrants. We never knew what it was like to have the country’s media and political class brand people like us a possible threat. Until now. [https://yasha.substack.com/p/russiagate-a-coming-of-age-moment]
25. Counterpunch.org: Zhivko Illeiff, Russiagate and the Dry Rot in American Journalism. (excerpt) – counterpunch.org/2019/05/24/russiagate-and-the-dry-rot-in-american-journalism/]
26. Interfax: Zelensky’s party seeking one-party majority in future Rada – election campaign head.
27. Valdai Discussion Club: Mikhail Pogrebinsky and Denis Kiryukhin, Reformatting the Ukrainian Political Landscape.
28. Financial Times: Ukraine oligarch urges Volodymyr Zelensky to default on debt. Concern grows over Igor Kolomoisky’s influence on the novice president.
29. Vineyard of the Saker: Olga Samofalova, Ukraine Will Be Able to Restore Its Economy Only By Cooperating With Russia.
30. Vesti.ru: Zelensky More of the Same? Little Hope For Peace in Donbass With New Ukrainian President.
31. Meduza: ‘A surreal country’ The mad dash for Russian citizenship in separatist Luhansk.