RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#87 :: Thursday, 23 May 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#87 :: Thursday, 23 May 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Moscow Times: Russian Support for LGBT Rights Hits 14-Year High, Poll Says.
2. Valdai Discussion Club: Vasily Kashin, The West and Russian-Chinese Relations: Stages of Denial. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/the-west-and-russian-chinese-relations/
3. Vesti.ru: Zakharova: US Doesn’t Treat Russians With Respect, Denies Visas and Delays Ordinary Procedures! – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3150037&cid=4441
4. Sputnik: Kremlin Will Not Interfere in Dispute Over New Church in Russia’s Yekaterinburg.
5. RFE/RL: Russian Officials Scrap Yekaterinburg Church Plan After Public Outcry.
6. Paul Goble: Two Understandings of Democracy Clash in the Streets of Yekaterinburg, ‘Nezavisimaya Gazeta’ Says.
7. TASS: Authorities should assist trade unions in upholding rights of working people, says Putin.
8. Moscow Times: Samantha Berkhead, A Glimpse Behind the Iron Curtain. As nostalgia for the Soviet Union swells, one project aims to show what life was like for ordinary citizens in the U.S.S.R.
9. Meduza: ‘I try to live as though there are no walls’ Former protest organizer and independent journalist Ekaterina Vinokurova explains why she took a job at ‘Russia Today’
10. Meduza: Baronova: What did Stalinists ever do to you?
11. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Why are Russian stocks so cheap?
12. Bloomberg: Russian Economy Gives Putin Reasons Not to Extend OPEC+ Deal.
13. Sputnik: US to Triple Import of Russian Oil Amid Sanctions Against Venezuela – Report.
14. Valdai Discussion Club: The End of Multilateral Diplomacy? Alexander Grushko About New World Order.- valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/the-end-of-multilateral-diplomacy/
15. www.rt.com: Neil Clark, Let’s not make a drama about Skripal case before important questions are answered. – rt.com/op-ed/460005-skripal-novichok-questions-poisoning/
17. New York Times: ‘Vladimir Putin’ Talk Show in U.K. Prompts Sharp Intake of Breath in Russia.
18. www.rt.com: Anna Belkina, EU’s Russian interference trail goes cold. – rt.com/op-ed/459983-russian-interference-eu-elections/
19. American Committee for East-West Accord: Paul R. Grenier: On Natasha Bertrand’s McCarthyite Hit Piece. – eastwestaccord.com/paul-r-grenier-on-natasha-bertrands-mccarthyite-hit-piece/
20. Rolling Stone: Matt Taibbi, We’ve Hit a New Low in Campaign Hit Pieces. Recent efforts to sandbag Bernie Sanders and Tulsi Gabbard are crude repeats of behaviors that helped elect Trump in 2016. (excerpt) – rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/taibbi-tulsi-gabbard-bernie-sanders-trump-2020-838156/
21. The Unz Review: C.J. Hopkins, Democracy vs. the Putin-Nazis. (excerpt) – unz.com/chopkins/democracy-vs-the-putin-nazis/
22. TASS: Ukraine opens high treason case against Poroshenko over Kerch Strait incident.
23. Bear Market Blog Ukraine: Poll: Donbass conflict is a top priority for Ukrainians.
24. TASS: Izvestia: Zelensky’s party to benefit from Ukraine’s snap election.
25. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Zelenskiy is fashioning a cudgel of authority from the wisps of legitimacy.
26. Foreign Affairs: Stephen Kotkin, American Hustle. What Mueller Found-and Didn’t Find-About Trump and Russia.